Wiki Posts
Search

3oz bottles in sandwich bag in pocket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,DL
3oz bottles in sandwich bag in pocket?

I'm downsizing for a cross-country trip where I already have my clothes at both ends. I only want to pack a few 3oz bottles in a sandwich baggie so they'll stand up in my cargo pocket. In addition there will be my toothbrush, earplugs and sleep mask in a portable q-tips box, phone and charger.

What do you think my chances are of getting past TSA with the smaller baggie?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by walkdmx
I'm downsizing for a cross-country trip where I already have my clothes at both ends. I only want to pack a few 3oz bottles in a sandwich baggie so they'll stand up in my cargo pocket. In addition there will be my toothbrush, earplugs and sleep mask in a portable q-tips box, phone and charger.

What do you think my chances are of getting past TSA with the smaller baggie?
Are you asking if it's OK to use something smaller than a quart-sized baggie? If so, the answer is yes.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,DL
Yes, Thank you.

I want to use a sandwich sized baggie with ziploc, not fully a quart in size.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by walkdmx
Yes, Thank you.

I want to use a sandwich sized baggie with ziploc, not fully a quart in size.
You're absolutely fine. The quart size is technically the _largest_ size you can bring. There's no ban on bringing smaller bags.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Sounds perfectly fine.

Since this sounds like somewhere you travel often, instead of bringing travel toiletries each time you visit you might want to consider just buying normal household sized stuff and leaving it there with your clothes.

I've done day trips to baseball games where I have no bags: just the normal stuff I keep in my pockets every day plus my sunglasses, game ticket, jersey, and a small tube of sunscreen. Since it's my only liquid I'm not going to waste a bag for the sunscreen and I've never had a problem not having it in a bag.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Talking

It's been years since I've bothered with a Kippie Bag. The TSA employees seem not to care, even if I'm selected for a secondary. Occasionally I'll be asked if I have any "beverages".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.