Search

Traveling with large amount of cash

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Traveling with large amount of cash

Hi guys,

I'll be traveling from VZL to USA with a large amount of cash. Little less than $10,000. I was wondering how I should go about this so it doesn't get stolen.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:56 am

although its under $10,000, they'll still question why you have that much, so have proof of where it came from, just in case.

I would place it somewhere upon your person
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

The thing I am worried about is that Venezuelan authorities are particularly sly. If they see you have USD on you they might try to scam and steal you.

I was more particularly wondering how one may conceal having such an amount of money on them.

No, this is not illegal drug money. I helped a few Venezuelans buy plane tickets online with my CC and they payed me back in cash so now I have quite a bit of USD hanging around in vzl that I need to pick up next month.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
The thing I am worried about is that Venezuelan authorities are particularly sly. If they see you have USD on you they might try to scam and steal you.

I was more particularly wondering how one may conceal having such an amount of money on them.

No, this is not illegal drug money. I helped a few Venezuelans buy plane tickets online with my CC and they payed me back in cash so now I have quite a bit of USD hanging around in vzl that I need to pick up next month.
envelope in a pants or jacket pocket.

don't keep touching it every 5 minutes to ensure it is still there.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:57 pm

If you live close to a AAA office go there and buy a money belt. It goes around your waist under your shirt.

One time I was asked if it was a money belt and I said yes and he said ok and passed me through
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DIFIN
If you live close to a AAA office go there and buy a money belt. It goes around your waist under your shirt.

One time I was asked if it was a money belt and I said yes and he said ok and passed me through
Brilliant idea. Thanks a lot. How much did your money belt hold?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Note: you have potentially three checks to worry about: VZL, US CBP and, if you are connecting once you reach the US, TSA.

CBP isn't going to be checking your money belt unless you're in for a really aggressive secondary. TSA - well, as recent events show, one of the reasons they continue to fail red team tests is because their management has told them to focus on drugs and large sums of cash.

It'd be kind of funny to see a TSO get all excited if you had a brick of bolivars. It would look impressive but might not even buy the greedy TSO lunch.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm mainly worried about VZL as if they see I have USD they will steal it. In the USA I don't mind explaining my situation, and considering I have less than 10,000 it's not "illegal"
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm mainly worried about VZL as if they see I have USD they will steal it. In the USA I don't mind explaining my situation, and considering I have less than 10,000 it's not "illegal"
Got it.

Good luck.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

IMHO, you made a mistake helping out your friends this way. If you end up having to explain the cash to the VZL authorities as you depart the country, they might confiscate it. I am not an attorney, but you might have violated local government/CADIVI regulations by using your US-issued credit card to purchase tickets originating in Venezuela for Venezuelan nationals. Then, when those individuals paid you back in USD instead of VEF, they might have violated CADIVI regulations as well. (CADIVI is the government agency that monitors and regulates all transactions involving foreign exchange in Veneuela. Exchange controls are extremely tight in this country.)

If you are successful in exporting the currency from Venezuela, US regulations require you to declare and report any amount over US$10,000 that you carry into the country in cash and/or other instruments. It is legal to bring ANY amount of money into the USA as long as you declare it properly. Be sure to take into account ALL cash or monetary instruments you are carrying. For example, if you have just under the limit in an envelope, but your wallet of everyday-use cash brings the total amount over $10k, you must declare and report it. Ask any CBP officer for assistance so that you fill out the correct form. When in doubt, declare it anyway. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

ESpen36, thank you immensely for the reply. I am well aware of CADIVI and their dysfunctional system.

You have a very valid point... I might have unwillingly violated some regulations. I'll most definitely look into that and take it into consideration.

Again, thank you very much for your help!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:34 am

I bought it 20 some years ago. I am sure it is different now and probably more expensive.

give them a call
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:38 am

depends on if you use $1.00 or $100.00 bills
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You should know that purchasing air tickets for others who then pay you in legitimate cash is a primary device for laundering cash. While your version may be the truth and a simple service to friends, do not expect CBP to accept your story at face value,

Also, as a point of information, there is no limit on the amount of cash you may bring into the US. You simply must report $10K+ and, of course, if asked, you must report any cash truthfully.

This plan is full of risks and, at a minimum, may result in a lengthy secondary experience at CBP.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chollie
CBP isn't going to be checking your money belt unless you're in for a really aggressive secondary. TSA - well, as recent events show, one of the reasons they continue to fail red team tests is because their management has told them to focus on drugs and large sums of cash.
All three of the secondaries I've had have involved emptying my pockets. During the last one, which was not particularly aggressive, the officer also asked me if I was wearing a money belt. I supposed I could have refused to answer that, it probably would have led to a pat down.

Is the OP a US citizen? Couldn't he just come through with $9,000 and tell CBP "personal trip" and "these are my personal funds" and then refuse to answer any other questions? They can't refuse him entry, and I doubt they'd seize the money if it's under the limit. He might get flagged though on future re-entries id they are suspicious about him returning with $9,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.