Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with large amount of cash

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Preventing it from getting stolen is easy - you can buy (quite thin) cash pouches which fit under your clothes. One in front and one in the back (small of your back) is quite comfortable.

I think you should prepare for the worst when entering the US. Firstly, I would assume flights from VZL come under heightened scrutiny for one, and secondly US CBP are notoriously unpleasant when it comes to currency - if you're carrying just under $10k they could accuse you of structuring (ie coming in with just under the limit to avoid declaring). You might have to undergo lengthy questioning and demands for proof of where the money came from.

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Hi guys,

I'll be traveling from VZL to USA with a large amount of cash. Little less than $10,000. I was wondering how I should go about this so it doesn't get stolen.

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When/if the OP then deposits the cash into his/her own USA bank account, the bank would be obligated to report the transaction if they considered it suspicious or if there has been a pattern of other large cash deposits. Of course, transactions over $10,000 must be reported by the bank. The government could view the amount as unreported income too if the OP cannot prove its source.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
MADE IT!

Sure was stressful but somehow made it "alive".

Flight was supposed to leave at 5PM from Caracas but got delayed till 3AM!! So there I am at the airport since 12:30PM with a little under 10K all over me. Sure was stressful... Let me explain my setup:

I had 1.5K in a money belt I was wearing under my briefs. 1.5K in my pocket. My gf had 2.5K in her money belt under her briefs. 1.5K in her carry on bag. 1.5K in my carry on bag. $500 in her checked in bag (even though I told her don't put money in that bag..). Also, keep in mind the majority of the bills were $20... which made it quite hefty.

Walking through VZL security was "fine" till I saw a big sign that said: If carrying more than 1000$USD, you shall be taxed on the 1000$ surplus. This got me EXTREMELY scared. I was unaware of this rule. We walked through security and it was fine... However, the lady infront of me (a 70 year old chinese lady that spoke almost no spanish) was randomly chosen for a pat down. She seemed like your typical old chinese women you see in movies who smuggle drugs in their bags without anyone questioning her. This got me extremely paranoid. What if they patted me down and asked me to open my money belt? I had more than 1K... and knowing the level of corruption in VZL not only would they "tax" me.. but they would probably take all the money..

However, thankfully I got through unscaved. I talked to the guy from customs (asked me why I was in CCS etc) and everything went well. Now, I thought I was free. Everything was fine.. but then there was ANOTHER security check point. Because I was going to MIA (USA), I had to go through another one. It was already 1AM now and I was getting tired. Thankfully I walked through with no problems. HOWEVER, my girlfriend's bag got picked to be checked by the officer. "F***" I was yelling deep down inside me. Oh no Oh no Oh no...

Thankfully, the officer simply moved a few things and said "ok, dale" which is spanish for "ok go on". So, this is my journey.

What did I learn?
1) Traveling with so much $$ in a corrupt country is beyond terrifying.
2) Never to fly with Santa Barbara Airlines ever again. 10+ hour delays and no compensation Welcome to Venezuela's proud airline. Never again.. never again.. But then again... I did save 700$ buying this one way ticket instead of buying AA's one way ticket from CCS-MIA. Is it worth it? 10hour delays for 700$? I guess that's a discussion for another day..

Thanks FT community for the help! Cheers!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club

That sounds like a better way to do it than this.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
MADE IT!

Sure was stressful but somehow made it "alive".

Flight was supposed to leave at 5PM from Caracas but got delayed till 3AM!! So there I am at the airport since 12:30PM with a little under 10K all over me. Sure was stressful... Let me explain my setup:

I had 1.5K in a money belt I was wearing under my briefs. 1.5K in my pocket. My gf had 2.5K in her money belt under her briefs. 1.5K in her carry on bag. 1.5K in my carry on bag. $500 in her checked in bag (even though I told her don't put money in that bag..). Also, keep in mind the majority of the bills were $20... which made it quite hefty.

Walking through VZL security was "fine" till I saw a big sign that said: If carrying more than 1000$USD, you shall be taxed on the 1000$ surplus. This got me EXTREMELY scared. I was unaware of this rule. We walked through security and it was fine... However, the lady infront of me (a 70 year old chinese lady that spoke almost no spanish) was randomly chosen for a pat down. She seemed like your typical old chinese women you see in movies who smuggle drugs in their bags without anyone questioning her. This got me extremely paranoid. What if they patted me down and asked me to open my money belt? I had more than 1K... and knowing the level of corruption in VZL not only would they "tax" me.. but they would probably take all the money..

However, thankfully I got through unscaved. I talked to the guy from customs (asked me why I was in CCS etc) and everything went well. Now, I thought I was free. Everything was fine.. but then there was ANOTHER security check point. Because I was going to MIA (USA), I had to go through another one. It was already 1AM now and I was getting tired. Thankfully I walked through with no problems. HOWEVER, my girlfriend's bag got picked to be checked by the officer. "F***" I was yelling deep down inside me. Oh no Oh no Oh no...

Thankfully, the officer simply moved a few things and said "ok, dale" which is spanish for "ok go on". So, this is my journey.

What did I learn?
1) Traveling with so much $$ in a corrupt country is beyond terrifying.
2) Never to fly with Santa Barbara Airlines ever again. 10+ hour delays and no compensation Welcome to Venezuela's proud airline. Never again.. never again.. But then again... I did save 700$ buying this one way ticket instead of buying AA's one way ticket from CCS-MIA. Is it worth it? 10hour delays for 700$? I guess that's a discussion for another day..

Thanks FT community for the help! Cheers!
OMG you must be crazy. Being a Venezuelan natural and having been to Maiquetia airport several times I always get on my nerves. There are so many security checkooints and military personnel asking you about everything that is terrifying... Also SBA is the worst airline to oick if you want to be on time.

Btw did you get cheap stuff at the duty free? Due to the crazy currency exchange I always buy as much as I can there. YSL perfume for $10 is impossible to beat
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"unscaved"!!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
As expected, the only real issues were collecting 100% of the money, and getting out of Venezuela with the money intact. It sounds like those two things happened. Were there any issues upon arrival in the US?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Btw did you get cheap stuff at the duty free? Due to the crazy currency exchange I always buy as much as I can there. YSL perfume for $10 is impossible to beat
Unfortunately no... because of the massive delay I only got into the terminal at 1AM and by that time the duty free shop was closed. I was extremely disappointed

Originally Posted by catocony
As expected, the only real issues were collecting 100% of the money, and getting out of Venezuela with the money intact. It sounds like those two things happened. Were there any issues upon arrival in the US?
No issues upon arrival in the US - very smooth
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the update
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Wow. I checked and noone warned of civil forfeiture. This has happened before and if you are not white the chances are even bigger: you will be flagged for drugs, asked whether you have drugs or money, seize your cash and good bye. Since they sue your money and not you it's extremely difficult to get the money back. Here's a recent one:

http://dailysignal.com/2015/06/17/la...-with-a-crime/
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:28 pm

Late to the party and glad you made it back safely but FYI:

1. You realize you could just have handed the money to other people and ask for a bank to bank transfer? US bank to US bank. Even for a couple grand that would have helped tremendously, I'm sure. This is done all the time. The same people that gives you larges amount of cash are the same people that buy currency by getting transfers.

2. You definitely got greedy by flying SBA. Hope the 10 hours in Maiquetia waiting was worth the savings.

Especially considering there's Dynamic for 300-400$ one-way (usually on time) and for the same ~400$ you could have bought 17,500 AA miles directly from AA.com to redeem. There was plenty of space up until a couple weeks ago.

But yeah, shame I didn't see this thread before. Avoid doing this in the future. Glad you got your money back...in full.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks Viajero Millero, I wasn't aware of Dynamic Airlines. I'll definitely consider flying with them in the future. I see that they only accept $$$ and not bolivars?

Likewise, I see that AA will be starting a new route to CCS in December: JFK-CCS! Great news! Could this be a turn for the better in Venezuela? Are things finally looking better/positive?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:20 am

Thanks Viajero Millero, I wasn't aware of Dynamic Airlines. I'll definitely consider flying with them in the future. I see that they only accept $$$ and not bolivars?

Likewise, I see that AA will be starting a new route to CCS in December: JFK-CCS! Great news! Could this be a turn for the better in Venezuela? Are things finally looking better/positive?
Against all odds Dynamic does seem to have a certain number of tickets per airplane in Bolivares but as you'd expect those sell out quickly. I think they were going for about Bs 120k one-way.

JFK-CCS is restarting against all odds. AA must have realized people that need to travel and love the convenience of avoiding Miami are willing to shell out top dollar.

----------------------------

You know, I was just thinking how flying SBA and their delay may have even helped you. Empty airport, tired guards, you were probably the most alert/awake person in there!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
JFK-CCS is restarting against all odds. AA must have realized people that need to travel and love the convenience of avoiding Miami are willing to shell out top dollar.
Yes, I wonder what the price of such a ticket will be.

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
You know, I was just thinking how flying SBA and their delay may have even helped you. Empty airport, tired guards, you were probably the most alert/awake person in there!
El Maestro works in mysterious ways!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:13 pm

Geez Louise--why can't they just deposit the money in a VZL bank account and wire transfer to this guy's US bank account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.