Wiki Posts
Search

TSA & 10-12 external hard drives in carry on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
TSA & 10-12 external hard drives in carry on

So I am giving up my apartment in NYC to spend most of the rest of the year in California and then Thailand for a while.

I am flying JFK-SFO on UA p.s. in a few weeks and I am planning on taking all of my hard drives with me in my carry on because I don't really want them to go FedEx or anything either.

I've traveled with lots of gear before (flash heads, JackRabbit battery packs, several cameras) and I've either had a quick swab down of my bags and items or just passed right through. I usually have about 2 external (LaCie orange) hard drives on me when I'm normally traveling.

I don't have a problem with them swabbing them, I can even have my laptop on and plug some of them in for them (in the same way some places are making you prove your phone or laptop can turn on).
But, I thought I saw somewhere at one security line a notice about only being able to travel with like "2 extra batteries".
I don't want A) some TSA agent to think these are listed as batteries or B) them tell me that I can't carry that many of some strange square shape electronic device.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Photographer here who often does similar/the same: you're totally fine.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I have had TSA ask me to power up my laptop and tablet but never a portable HD nor a flash drive. I never go beyond the login screen to prevent some TSO from going on a power trip and deciding they had the authority to search my HD like the CBP used to be able to do.

You should be fine but if they do, stand up for yourself. If you have to walk away and ship then from NYC to LA via USPS flat rate. It has tracking.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I've traveled with a few of these before in carry on...

so I figured the hard drives are something they may be a little more familiar with. Sometimes have to give the TSA the benefit of the doubt that they actually encounter things fairly regularly.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I had a keyboard and a monitor with me the most they want is to take a look. The keyboard looks very weird but after looking at the heap of metal, plastic and cords which somewhat resembles a keyboard :P they are always OK with it. You will be fine.

Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:23 pm

You'll be fine. Any screener who has worked the x-ray belt for more than 30 seconds should instantly know what a hard drive looks like. At worst they may swab a couple of them or do a manual bag check if they can't clearly see all of them on the x-ray then send you on your way.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving this to Travel Security...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I (also) have lots of external drives [which I NEVER travel with.]
10-12 4 TB drives, takes up a fair amount of space in a carry-on. You never know when a "zealous" TSA goes on a power trip, and decides he/she wants further inspection. In the wrong hands, data could be lost.
There are services, that allow you to back-up your data (inexpensively(?)) in the CLOUD. [Extra back-ups are good in general.]
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:40 am

If I am not mistaken their "official" policy catagorizes hard drives in the large electronic group like laptops and they have to come out of your luggage and go in a tray. You might be able to get away with one in the bag, but ten will more than likely cause extra screening.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
You'll be fine. Any screener who has worked the x-ray belt for more than 30 seconds should instantly know what a hard drive looks like. At worst they may swab a couple of them or do a manual bag check if they can't clearly see all of them on the x-ray then send you on your way.
This. I've seen someone pull out 3 laptops, including one very large and heavy-duty Toughbook, a few hard drives, and a bunch of other unidentifiable (to me) electronics from a pelican case at the checkpoint. I loitered a bit to see what would happen and, after swabbing everything (including his hands and shoes), he was sent on his way.

Re: the battery thing, see here for limits/regulations.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

No problem with swabbing and extra screening. Just wanted to know I could stand some ground if some rogue TSA agent tried to make me check them.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rolling_stone
If I am not mistaken their "official" policy catagorizes hard drives in the large electronic group like laptops and they have to come out of your luggage and go in a tray. You might be able to get away with one in the bag, but ten will more than likely cause extra screening.
No, I don't believe that's true. At least TSA.gov does not include external hard drives in the list of what has to be removed.

I've traveled with 3-4, no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.