Community
Wiki Posts
Search

unallowed movement through metal detector?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
unallowed movement through metal detector?

Went through PreCheck at DCA recently. As I walked through the metal detector, I was stuffing my BP and DL into my shirt pocket. The TSA agent stopped me. "Sir, I can't have moving your hand into your pocket as you walk through." And she had me go back and walk through again.

Does this make any sense? Is there really a TSA policy on that, and if so, why? Granted, it's been 40 years since I graduated with a physics minor, but I am baffled. Horizontal motion is OK, but vertical is not, apparently? If my hand holds a coil, I'm creating the perfect eddy current to mask whatever I'm hiding in my shirt pocket?
Old May 25, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sure don't see any reason movement would be a problem. Yes, you'll change the currents created but I can't see how movement could lower the peak signal. It would either be neutral or cause both a decrease and increase--and how could the machine not be looking for the peak?
Old May 25, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Went through PreCheck at DCA recently. As I walked through the metal detector, I was stuffing my BP and DL into my shirt pocket. The TSA agent stopped me. "Sir, I can't have moving your hand into your pocket as you walk through." And she had me go back and walk through again.

Does this make any sense? Is there really a TSA policy on that, and if so, why? Granted, it's been 40 years since I graduated with a physics minor, but I am baffled. Horizontal motion is OK, but vertical is not, apparently? If my hand holds a coil, I'm creating the perfect eddy current to mask whatever I'm hiding in my shirt pocket?
Ah, I see what the problem is.

You're making the assumption that the person responsible for this "rule" - either someone at TSA HQ or, more likely, the TSA clerk at this checkpoint - understands the physics involved in a metal detector. Or knows that there is physics involved in the operation of the metal detector. Or can, at a minimum, spell "physics."

I wouldn't count on it.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I sure don't see any reason movement would be a problem. Yes, you'll change the currents created but I can't see how movement could lower the peak signal. It would either be neutral or cause both a decrease and increase--and how could the machine not be looking for the peak?
I have seen people asked to repeat the WTMD because they went through it to fast. When passing through (over) a metal detector a current is generated. But I believe what is also need is the time. i.e. total charge. Otherwise one might get too many false positives if just looking for a change in the current.

And remember fisiks is phun.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have seen people asked to repeat the WTMD because they went through it to fast. When passing through (over) a metal detector a current is generated. But I believe what is also need is the time. i.e. total charge. Otherwise one might get too many false positives if just looking for a change in the current.

And remember fisiks is phun.
Ok, that means they aren't well designed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.