Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Ship passport internationally for visa processing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Hello. I'm a current undergrad in Los Angeles. I'm in have a passport/visa issue and I was hoping some of you might be able to help.

1) I'm in the process of applying for a long-stay visa for Paris to study abroad in the fall and I expect that the French consulate will be physically processing my passport during the month of June.

2) I received an internship offer in Hong Kong for the end of May - August and I am really considering it.

What I'm thinking: either (1) try to buy a duplicate passport and see if I can a service to get it before the end of May [expensive] or (2) go to HK before June, mail my US passport to LA and be passport-less for a few weeks until I have a friend mail it back to me [risky].

I would really appreciate any advice you have to give. Thanks!
Old May 14, 2015, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you apply for your French student visa at the French consulate/embassy in Hong Kong? The answer might depend on your passport (USA, I assume) and what your residency status will be in Hong Kong (residence or work permit, or will you just enter without formalities as a short-term visitor without a visa?).

It's possible to get a second USA passport, especially if you need it for visa processing. AFAIK the process and fees are like getting a USA passport renewed. There should be a passport agency office in the LA area that can do this quickly in person if needed for an additional $60 expedite fee, either same day, next day, or mailed to you in two weeks. These second passports are only good for a couple years. There should be good information about all of this, including forms to print, on the USA Department of State website.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a foreign country for a couple weeks without a passport. What if you need to travel suddenly for a family emergency? OTOH, Hong Kong at least has good medical care, so your own potential illness or accident wouldn't be a concern. I don't know the Hong Kong rules about whether foreigners are required to carry or present passports, but you should check this before planning to send your passport off to the USA during your stay there. Think also about whether you would need the passport as ID, for example for banking transactions or hotel stays, as well as the crossing of any borders, including day trips into mainland China.

If you do decide to send the passport back to the USA, use a courier service such as FedEx. For a higher price, you can request signatures at delivery and ask for the fastest possible service. You might also be able to pay a higher fee to the French consulate/embassy for rush service. [I assume you won't need to go there in person for an interview, but the person who deposits and collects your passport might need a letter of authorization signed and even notarized by you. Would it make more sense to use a visa service agency if you can find a *reliable* one that will do student visas?]

Your college probably has a foreign study office to assist students who are going overseas for internships and study abroad programs. In some institutions, these offices are extremely helpful. You might ask them for advice about these passport and visa issues. They might be able to at least recommend a visa service agency that you can trust.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:36 am

try this link
http://www.consulfrance-losangeles.o...php?article801
according to this website long term student visas have to be processed in person only and payable by visa or mastercard only
the hong kong consulate will only process visas for residents of HK and Macau
btw if you apply for a second passport you have to submit your original with the application

Last edited by moyeung; May 15, 2015 at 1:48 am
Old May 15, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions MSPeconomist and moyeung!

After thinking it over I’ve decided to apply for a second passport. I don’t think they’ll take away my other passport because I’ll be getting it expedited at the agency in LA. I’ll probably book travel for within two weeks and explain to them why I need it. I think it may be more complicated to get my long-stay French visa processed in the French consulate in HK.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by jmlztravel
Thanks for your suggestions MSPeconomist and moyeung!

After thinking it over I’ve decided to apply for a second passport. I don’t think they’ll take away my other passport because I’ll be getting it expedited at the agency in LA. I’ll probably book travel for within two weeks and explain to them why I need it. I think it may be more complicated to get my long-stay French visa processed in the French consulate in HK.
state department website says you have to submit your original passport with the application (proof that your not applying for a replacement for a lost or stolen one)
Old May 16, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moyeung
state department website says you have to submit your original passport with the application (proof that your not applying for a replacement for a lost or stolen one)
Yes but I have processed a passport renewal before and expedited it--was able to get the passport in the afternoon after submitting my original passport in the morning. They just invalidated the other one. Wouldn't this be the same without them invalidating the original? As far as I know, that's how people have been obtaining duplicate passports. Unless I misinterpreted your post?
Old May 16, 2015, 12:45 pm

Yes but I have processed a passport renewal before and expedited it--was able to get the passport in the afternoon after submitting my original passport in the morning. They just invalidated the other one. Wouldn't this be the same without them invalidating the original? As far as I know, that's how people have been obtaining duplicate passports. Unless I misinterpreted your post?
you have to write a statement that your applying for a duplicate passport for visa purposes (e.g. your case need passport to travel to HK but need a visa for France so need a duplicate to get visa while out of country)
Old May 16, 2015, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that either of you are saying anything different. Yes, you must "submit" your existing passport, but OP is applying at the LA passport office on an expedited basis. Thus, he will appear with his documents, including original passport, have them reviewed, depart with them and likely have the second passport later in the day or overnighted to him. Thus, he won't be without a passport. This only works in the cities where there actually is a State Dept. Passport Office.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
How would a second passport help you with this requirement by the French consulate?
Every applicant must apply in person and must make an appointment on our website. No exceptions. Fingerprints and a photograph must be taken in our premises in Los Angeles.
And their first appointment in LA now is for June 29.

You may want to contact the French consulate in HK to see if they will exceptionally process you there. Perhaps your summer residency will be enough for them. They are a lot easier to get a hold of than LA, and they have appointments available for any day, even as early as tomorrow.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
How would a second passport help you with this requirement by the French consulate?

And their first appointment in LA now is for June 29.

You may want to contact the French consulate in HK to see if they will exceptionally process you there. Perhaps your summer residency will be enough for them. They are a lot easier to get a hold of than LA, and they have appointments available for any day, even as early as tomorrow.
Will the OP have some sort of Hong King residency status for the summer? That might be an argument to get the French student visa there rather than in the USA.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
I'd be sending the French Embassy an email now (in French, if you can).
Must the visa be processed in your country of origin?
The official stance may be no but if you ask and explain your circumstances, sometimes there's room for movement.
I'd ask at a few French embassies in neighbouring Asian countries if they'll do it.
It may be expensive and time-consuming to return to the US to get your French visa done.
If it's possible, it would be cheaper and faster to get it done in a neighbouring Asian country than for you to fly back to the US.
Singapore, Malaysia, Japan and the Phillipines should be visa-free for US passport holders.
China, Cambodia and Vietman may require visas for entry - and the cost of the visa varies but can be US$100+.
Apart from doing the visa in HK itself, the French embassy in Beijing/Shanghai (or even Shenzen or Guangdong?) may be your most economical option. Flights and trains from HK should be inexpensive and plentiful.
But it's all contingent on who says yes.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:43 am

OP would need a Chinese visa (about $140 for USA citizens) to enter China to get a French student visa? That sounds like a mess.

Plus, there will be lots and lots of Chinese students trying to get visas in China and I suspect that students in China rare scrutinized more than those in certain other countries. You probably wouldn't want to go through the same process as the Chinese students endure to get student visas. Also, I suspect that it could be very difficult to get an appointment with all of the Chinese students applying at this time of year.

If the OP must get the student visa elsewhere in Asia, I'd go for Singapore (where more English is spoken) or Japan, possibly Korea (another country where USA citizens can enter without visas).
Old May 19, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
OK
Although the cost of getting to another Asian country apart from China may be expensive.
Flight to Singapore/Korea + free visa maybe > Flight to Beijing + visa fee
The OP may have plans to visit China anyway? Couple of days in Beijing whilst waiting for the visa....
Do alot of Chinese students study in France?
Scrutinisation doled out to Chinese students may not be applicable to the OP as a US passport-holder.
Of course the OP's best bet would still be the French Consulate in HK.
If you never ask, you'll never know.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have an appointment with a passport agency this week to expedite a second passport. I think this would be my fastest, most convenient, and cheapest ($170 eh..) option. I will have no residency status in HK, and staying just shy of 90 days.

In terms of in-person meetings with the French consulate, my overseas studies office handles that through batch processing. So essentially my advisor confirmed with me that if I get my passport, French "Pastel," and visa forms to him before I leave, I should be fine. I'll be leaving to HK with my second passport while my original is processed by the French consulate.

Messy, messy, technical business. But excited to go intern in HK! I appreciate all your suggestions.

Last edited by jmlztravel; May 19, 2015 at 1:51 pm Reason: Additional detail for response.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have an appointment with a passport agency this week to expedite a second passport. I think this would be my fastest, most convenient, and cheapest ($170 eh..) option. In terms of in-person meetings with the French consulate, my overseas studies office handles that through batch processing. So essentially my advisor told me if I get my passport and visa forms to him before I leave, I should be fine. I'll be leaving to HK with my second passport while my original is processed by the French consulate.

Messy, messy, technical business. But excited to go intern in HK! I appreciate all your suggestions.
Are you sure that your overseas studies office can get you a French student visa without your appearing for an interview? IMO you really need to verify the rules yourself rather than trusting them to take care of it. I'd also think about what happens if your advisor cannot get the visa as expected in your absence. Would you take some days off from your internship and fly back to LAX to do the interview? Or would you be able to process the French student visa yourself in Hong Kong, with the passport and other documents that your advisor would hopefully send to you by courier service in that case? I'd take copies of official admission letters, financial support, and other documents needed for the visa with you to Hong Kong just in case something goes wrong with the plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.