Renewing UK passport from overseas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renewing UK passport from overseas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
I just renewed my UK passport from the USA. You must apply online then send the old passport (and full color copy of any other passport!) to the UK.

Mailed application: Aug 12th (USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope)
Arrived UK: Aug 19th 8:21 AM
New passport mailed: Aug 24th 10:45AM
New Passport arrived US: Aug 25th 12:25PM (DHL overnight from UK!)

Super fast, esp considering my UK passport had Syria, Iran, Algeria, etc visas...
What business of the UK govt is it what visas are in a passport submitted for renewal?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by The Green
What business of the UK govt is it what visas are in a passport submitted for renewal?
What is and what we are taught to think it should be are often not the same....
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
If I remember correctly it says somewhere that the passport is the property of HM Government (and therefore doesn't belong to the holder).
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Do I need A4 paper (something not easy to find in the USA)?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:26 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
British passports contain the wording "Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary."

Therefore it would seem to me that the countries you travel to on that passport are their business.

The correct question to ask is - what business is it of the UK government what other passports you hold (and by extension what visas are in those passports, which in my opinion are none of their business)?

I don't know of any other countries that do this; some countries which do not permit dual citizenship may require a declaration that one has not obtained another passport from another country or such and such, but they are hardly going to request to see the other passport especially if one is deceiving their government already.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:40 am

I asked a similar question of the Irish government as regards their passports. Their response was they had zero interest in what stamps or visas were in passports submitted for renewal/cancellation. The only reason they wanted the old passport back was for verification of citizenship and cancellation of the old passport book. My passport happens to be full of stamps from countries that would not be considered friendly by HM Government but the Irish don't bat an eyelid and they never take more than a day or 2 to renew.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Do I need A4 paper (something not easy to find in the USA)?
No. Letter is fine.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I posted mine from the Blue Mountains, about 100km west of Sydney, one Thursday. The following Thursday, it showed as "Received - Processing" - 12 hours later it showed as "Despatched" (on the Friday. I received the new passport the following Friday, so 15 day turnaround, all but one day of which was postage (and NO expedited delivery requested).

Dave
Old May 3, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Does anyone know if it's still required to provide photocopy of passport from another country for a BR passport renewal? I read the 30 page booklet about passport renewal but didn't see anything about that.

Also upthread somebody mentioned colour copy If a photocopy is needed, is colour copy absolutely required?
Old May 3, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Does anyone know if it's still required to provide photocopy of passport from another country for a BR passport renewal? I read the 30 page booklet about passport renewal but didn't see anything about that.

Also upthread somebody mentioned colour copy If a photocopy is needed, is colour copy absolutely required?
The 30-page booklet you're reading (probably the one updated 30 March 2017) is apparently for applying in the UK. There are other booklets I found on HMPO's website if you click on applying from abroad.

Reading the "within UK" booklet it seems to me they actually want you to send in the physical other passports themselves, while the "outside UK" chart still wants the color photocopy of every page.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Question Renewing British Passports by Canadians visiting the UK

My wife and I are in our 70s; live in Canada and have dual citizenship.

Our British Passports expired in 2014 and we would like to renew them, but are reluctant to do so from Canada as we are now required to send applications to the USA.

Ideally we would like to visit the UK and renew them using the premium same-day service, but there seem to be a few snags. (We can enter on our Canadian passports).

Firstly, we cannot obtain the required passport renewal forms for UK applications from here - is there any way to get them by mail?

Secondly, how much in advance must an appointment be made to use the premium same-day renewal service?

Finally, do our British Passports fall within the class that can be processed under the premium same-day service?

Any experts out there able to offer advice and/or suggestions please?

Thank you!

Last edited by TemboOne; Jun 26, 2017 at 10:59 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by TemboOne

Our British Passports expired in 2014 and we would like to renew them, but are reluctant to do so from Canada as we are now required to send applications to the USA.

Ideally we would like to visit the UK and renew them using the premium same-day service, but there seem to be a few snags. (We can enter on our Canadian passports).

Firstly, we cannot obtain the required passport renewal forms for UK applications from here - is there any way to get them by mail?

Secondly, how much in advance must an appointment be made to use the premium same-day renewal service?

Finally, do our British Passports fall within the class that can be processed under the premium same-day service?

My wife was born in Hong Kong in 1945 and currently has a full British Citizen passport, issued at the Passort Office in the UK after Hong Kong lost it's British status.

I was born in Ireland (Dublin) in 1941, lived in the UK from 1957 until the end of 1965 and while there gave notice to the Home Office of my wish to retain British nationality. For the the past 45 years I have held a British Subject passport which is always endorsed as to having the "Right of Abode" in the UK. (Despite my past eight years of UK residency and employment I have never figured how to upgrade my own status to full British Citizenship.)

Any experts out there able to offer advice and/or suggestions please?

Thank you!
Just did this last week. Appts can be booked 3 weeks ahead by telephone or online. Mon-Sat appts offered. Be aware the fee is paid when one books and is non-refundable. No longer possible to renew thru US. Everything is now thru the UK.

The premium service costs more. £128 gets it in 4 hrs unless you have a late day appt. if you are in the UK longer, they offer a one week service -- cheaper.

To renew with premium, one needs a UK address and a cell number. Your hotel or similar seems to be acceptable.

One needs a hard copy of the application for premium service. They will not post it. Got mine at the post office in London. Must use black pen to complete. They were very specific about that.

Not all post offices have applications but easy to find one that offers a passport click and collect service on the internet. Of course they have it because they offer a service. Not on the counter. Must ask for it because they want to sell you their service. There were also hard copies at the passport office behind Victoria station. Suggest you take two. I had to redo mine and the second copy was important.

Read in the booklet that I needed to provide a colour xerox of my Canadian passport. Confirmed this ahead via email with passport office. Was laughed at when I got there. They will want a cooy of the ID page only. They can make it there.

Had the photos done in Canada and they were not acceptable, despite following all the rules. In London, there's a machine at the passport office that does it for £6 and accepts credit cards. Easier.

As you can imagine, building security is very tight. Had to have a follow up appointment. No problem for a friend to come on initial visit. Friend not allowed on second visit. I witnessed a mother being separated from her infant due to this rule. Once past security, it moved very quickly on both my visits. Still finishing pictures when number was called.

Can't comment on your eligibility for premium service but you can email them to enquire. Having a paper trail could be important. In order to make the appt online, one has to answer a series of questions. Guessing that answers will stream you if not eligible but I don't know for sure. Best to email.

They replied fairly promptly to my questions. I would lay out your situations and clarify exactly which supporting documents you need. Not easy to go home and get something you are missing.

All that being said, premium is the way to go. The renewal plus two way international courier is almost the same price. Not sure about you but I wasn't willing to surrender both my passports for an unspecified amount of time to a courier service.

Be prepared to spend the time. Uses up most of a day. Also, for four hours you must surrender all your documents. That was a bit unnerving. Was told to return at 5:23 pm. They actually were quite serious about the time. It was honoured.

Good luck.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:47 am

Not all post offices have applications but easy to find one that offers a passport click and collect service on the internet. Of course they have it because they offer a service. Not on the counter. Must ask for it because they want to sell you their service. There were also hard copies at the passport office behind Victoria station. Suggest you take two. I had to redo mine and the second copy was important.
Just take the forms at the passport office... if you're not applying for your first UK passport then the form is really straightforward: no more than details about your passport, your personal details and address... I cannot find the form online (and neither do they accept home-printed forms) but this document gives you a comprehensive overview of the questions and what you need to bring: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._44_03.17_.pdf

Be prepared to spend the time. Uses up most of a day. Also, for four hours you must surrender all your documents. That was a bit unnerving. Was told to return at 5:23 pm. They actually were quite serious about the time. It was honoured.
The appointment itself only takes about 30 minutes, including waiting time. Then you're free to go until collection. Enough time for a long lunch somewhere. However, a warning - the Saturday I went the IT system was down, and everyone was being asked to go back on Monday. I had to fly on Sunday back home, and luckily they fast-tracked me. Anecdotally, this was not an isolated incident, though also anecdotally, all of us did indeed receive our passports same day in the end. Just a warning.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
The appointment itself only takes about 30 minutes, including waiting time. Then you're free to go until collection. Enough time for a long lunch somewhere.
Yes that's how it worked when my wife renewed hers on our last visit using the same day service. We were in Glasgow for the first few days of the holiday anyway so I deliberately chose a hotel just a few minutes walk from the passport office. Certainly worth paying extra for.

I had hoped to renew mine this year using the same service, unfortunately we have been unable to travel so I have had to do it by post. It's a simple process for renewals. You fill out your application online, pay the £120 fee which includes the return courier fee, print out the declaration form, sign it, include two passport photos and your expired passport then post it.
That was last week so we'll see how long it takes.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by TemboOne

[...]
Just kinda curious as to your thinking here? (A desire to have no dealings with the US, even if only their postal or courier systems?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.