Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How should I deal with another who shoved my backpack down the belt?

How should I deal with another who shoved my backpack down the belt?

Old May 4, 2015, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

IIRC, bins are not supposed to be provided for those in the Pre-Check lane. Items are supposed to be either put on the belt or in your carry-on.

This was told to me at ORD and LAS (where you will see no bins out and available). It is done to speed up the process.

Perhaps someone in the know will chime in on this.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any line, PreCheck or not, move to the end of the belt. Let others come through. Typically the people scanner works more quick than the luggage scanner, so you're only blocking other people from getting in line to get their stuff.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
IIRC, bins are not supposed to be provided for those in the Pre-Check lane. Items are supposed to be either put on the belt or in your carry-on.

This was told to me at ORD and LAS (where you will see no bins out and available). It is done to speed up the process.

Perhaps someone in the know will chime in on this.
I won't claim to be in the know, but the TSA regularly stocks bins at the Pre-Check lanes at DEN and MSP.

I could see certain coats needing a bin. They don't let me wear my North Face jacket liner through screening, and it's too light to make it through the conveyor on its own. I either use one (1) bin, or I loop a sleeve around my backpack.

I really don't like putting valuables like phones, wallets or watches in the bin. It's far to exposed for my liking. I much prefer keeping them in a small zip pocket on my carry-on.

And my earlier "bin-abuser" comment was indeed related to the Pre-Check line only. These folks seem to think that everything short of a rollaboard needs its own bin.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:38 am

While what she did was a little rude, and would have definitely bothered me, what you did - re-assembling yourself without moving down the line - was extremely rude. Thus, do nothing and maybe take it as a sign to be more respectful next time?
Old May 13, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by agp423
DTW always seems to have an abundance of bins from a scarcity of flyer.

I did not know for TSA you can keep your laptop in. I thought you can keep your shoes, belt, and light jacket, but computers and liquids have to come out?

I picked up everything from the bin before my backpack came out. My backpack was my last item.
Maybe this lady was annoyed because you went through the Pre line, yet apparently don't understand the rules for doing so. You don't remove liquids or laptops.

Let it go. She had more right to be annoyed with you then you were with her.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Often1
Can't say I blame her. As a Pre-Check, all your "stuff" belonged in your backpack. That way, your stuff stays safe and the line moves along. As soon as any one person slows it down with excess "stuff" everyone gets delayed.
The real question is why you didn't slide your own bags all the way down to the end if you were going to stand there in that small place while you put all your stuff back on.

People who stand right at the X-ray machine while they reassemble and don't let other people get to their belongings are the worst
Old May 17, 2015, 10:52 am

I have been sent through pre-check several times. At first, there was a "learning curve" - I was sent through at the last minute and had no idea what to do except that I didn't need to take my shoes off...lol

Pre-check or not, I always take my things off the belt, go to the nearest bench, and put myself back together.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Actually, a pro-active belt monitor TSO will keep the bags moving to the end of the belt if s/he is not otherwise engaged in chat, texting or just watching bags back up while an unthinking pax stands right by the xray exit while reassembling him/herself.

The pax may or may not be an experienced traveller and may have other things on his/her mind. The TSO is paid to stand there and keep things moving efficiently - whether that means moving bags to the end of the belt or quietly educating 'free Pre' pax who don't know what it means.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Jane42
Pre-check or not, I always take my things off the belt, go to the nearest bench, and put myself back together.
EXACTLY, it's just common sense. While I do agree with the OP that it's rude for someone else to touch your bag, how can the OP not recognise that THEY were being by far the rudest party in that situation?
Old May 18, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
EXACTLY, it's just common sense. While I do agree with the OP that it's rude for someone else to touch your bag, how can the OP not recognise that THEY were being by far the rudest party in that situation?
I wouldn't even consider it rude to shove a bag on down the belt--bags are supposed to move forward.

Saturday I even picked up someone's flip-flop and stuck it in a bin. It had been on top of their bin and was scraped off by the shield on the x-ray onto my stuff--as I didn't want footwear on my jacket I grabbed it and ran it through in it's own bin. (He was already through the scanner and couldn't fix it.) When I got to the other side and he was looking for his missing flip-flop (the bin was behind my stuff) I told him what I had done and he had no problem with it.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:04 pm

As far as liquids needing to be removed from your bag for Pre-check - on my last three flights, I had medicine that was in a bottle larger than the approved amount. I was told to just tell TSA when I went through.

On all of my flights, I was told NOT to remove it and to just keep all liquids in my carryon.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AllieKat
I mostly agree, though I don't agree that it's rude for the person to push the bag down the belt if the bag is impeding progress. That goes for PreCheck or the regular lines. It's a peeve of mine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.