Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How should I deal with another who shoved my backpack down the belt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How should I deal with another who shoved my backpack down the belt?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by State of Trance
I'm pretty sure bins are made available for your use. I'd assume (or hope) that "bin-abusers" refers to pax that use 3+ bins and clog up the entire checkpoint line, rather than those sensibly using 1-2.
So the assertion is that if I put my stuff loosely into three bins rather than tightly into one, I'm measurably slowing the process?

I don't think so. This one strikes me as worrying about nothing.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:25 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
So the assertion is that if I put my stuff loosely into three bins rather than tightly into one, I'm measurably slowing the process?

You are slowing the process. You're also probably taking up more space on the conveyor belt than you need to. Backpacks, purses, totes, toiletry cases....none of these things need to be put into a bin.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

Your stuff is taking three times as long to go through the machine, and three times as much space on the output side, so if you get held up for some reason going through the metal detector, the belt might have to stop entirely because the output side is full up.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

I think the OP's situation is worrying about nothing. As far as your example of using three bins, when using the PreCheck line, why would you need that many? Nothing needs to come out of your bags, your shoes stay on, etc. I could see using one of the little round bowls for your phone and keys if they aren't in your bag. I don't think I could carry enough stuff in my pockets to fill one bin, let alone three.

Even in the non-precheck line and having to take out a laptop, one bin is generally enough. They tell you not to put anything in with the laptop but as long as it is not on top or under the laptop you can put other stuff in there. I put my phone, belt, etc next to the laptop and I can't remember the last time I took my liquids out of my bag. I can also see why a second bin might be needed if you have a jacket etc. I suppose if you are carrying more than one laptop you'd also need more bins. Perhaps that's your situation, in which case more power to you.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: TK*G

Your items now take three times as long to go through the scanner, which is already the bottleneck for TSA checkpoints.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
I think the OP's situation is worrying about nothing. As far as your example of using three bins, when using the PreCheck line, why would you need that many? Nothing needs to come out of your bags, your shoes stay on, etc. I could see using one of the little round bowls for your phone and keys if they aren't in your bag. I don't think I could carry enough stuff in my pockets to fill one bin, let alone three.

Even in the non-precheck line and having to take out a laptop, one bin is generally enough. They tell you not to put anything in with the laptop but as long as it is not on top or under the laptop you can put other stuff in there. I put my phone, belt, etc next to the laptop and I can't remember the last time I took my liquids out of my bag. I can also see why a second bin might be needed if you have a jacket etc. I suppose if you are carrying more than one laptop you'd also need more bins. Perhaps that's your situation, in which case more power to you.
First, unfortunately because I have a prosthetic hip I have to go through the "nude-o-scope" (which by itself I really have no problem with). The real downside is that, in most airports, PreCheck isn't available to me.

I put laptop in one bin by itself, shoes in another with my belt and liquids, and jacket (if I have one on) in a third. If I put the jacket in with my shoes, it gets dirty, which I'm not going to do just to please a bunch of OCD frequent flyers in a huge hurry.

If this seriously causes you grief, sorry for your problems, but you'll just have to live with it. Believe me, I'd much rather not have to wrangle all my stuff in and out of bags, but I don't usually have that option.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
First, unfortunately because I have a prosthetic hip I have to go through the "nude-o-scope" (which by itself I really have no problem with). The real downside is that, in most airports, PreCheck isn't available to me.

I put laptop in one bin by itself, shoes in another with my belt and liquids, and jacket (if I have one on) in a third. If I put the jacket in with my shoes, it gets dirty, which I'm not going to do just to please a bunch of OCD frequent flyers in a huge hurry.

If this seriously causes you grief, sorry for your problems, but you'll just have to live with it. Believe me, I'd much rather not have to wrangle all my stuff in and out of bags, but I don't usually have that option.
Well the bin abuser comment was really related and referred to the PreCheck line so what you do in the regular line isn't really relevant. And I mean that in the sense that we are talking about two different things. The frustration about bins comes more so in the PreCheck line.

However, now that you've brought it up, I can never figure out why people put their shoes in the bins. Who knows where people have been walking and then they put their dirty shoes in the bins. You even said that if you put your jacket in with your shoes it gets dirty but you are more than willing to dirty a bin with your shoes so that the next person's jacket gets dirty?

Why not just put your belt in with your laptop, try not taking out your liquids and see if they even say anything and then you only need two bins. @:-)
Old May 1, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
If it's possible to push one of your items PAST YOU then you are HOLDING UP THE LINE!

Plain and simple.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
Why not just put your belt in with your laptop, try not taking out your liquids and see if they even say anything and then you only need two bins. @:-)
If you're talking waste of time, how about having to go through the whole process again when they tell you you've not obeyed their instructions relative to liquids and laptop-by-itself?

No thanks. And I'm not going to deal with shoes tumbling around in the scanner outside of a bin. They provide bins just for this purpose.

What's up with everyone suggesting we just ignore the screening instructions? No, thanks.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Let it go - if you're standing right where the bags come out, dawdling over putting your belt back on, putting things back in your pockets (! hooray for purses!), there are no people ahead of you ( so that you could have moved down the conveyor belt with your bags yourself) and lots of people behind you coming through reasonably quickly, I'm going to move your bag down the line too. Not roughly, but with enough momentum to get there so others can reach their bags as soon as they come through. Sounds like there was too much attitude on both sides in this case.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:10 am

If you're talking waste of time, how about having to go through the whole process again when they tell you you've not obeyed their instructions relative to liquids and laptop-by-itself?

No thanks. And I'm not going to deal with shoes tumbling around in the scanner outside of a bin. They provide bins just for this purpose.

What's up with everyone suggesting we just ignore the screening instructions? No, thanks.
I can only speak about my experiences and the countless times I've done this at a number of different airports so I would suggest you try it once and see what happens. At least you'll know. Just this year to use a current example, I haven't taken out my liquids once in about 50 non-precheck screenings and no one has said one word.

During those same screenings I always roll up my belt and put it along with my cell phone and anything else in my pockets in the same bin as a laptop. Nothing on or under the laptop, just placed next to it, and again, not one word. As long as they can clearly see the laptop on the x-ray they are happy.

As far as shoes "tumbling around", it's a flat, moving belt. It's not a washing machine. Shoes go through just fine on the belt. Again, don't take my word for it, just try it and see what happens. Maybe you'll learn something new that will help you get yourself and your fellow passengers through the screening process just a tad quicker and with a little less stress.

Oh, and if you want to take a bottle of water through with you, I can tell you how to do that too but that will slow you down. So I only do that when I have the time and want to mess with the TSA a little.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

If you put your shoes in the bin soles down, I don't see how your jacket is going to get dirty sitting on top of them (unless you've been tromping around in some really deep doo-doo).

I'm more concerned about putting the filth from the floor inside my clean shoes.

Note: I don't put dirty feet inside my shoes because I always take off my shoes and put on 'checkpoint socks' as I go through. Afterwards, I remove the filthy socks and put my (still) clean feet back into my (still) clean shoes. I do this after I've collected my belongings and left the belt area.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by agp423
I was flying this past weekend during a not-so-busy time out of DTW to NYC. I have TSA precheck, so I used the precheck lane. If you fly out of DTW, you know that you'll rarely see a lot of people, unless you happen to be checking in right before the Spirit Airlines' flights. But people who fly on Spirit generally do not have precheck.

Anyway, I had one suitcase, one bin with my laptop/phone/watch in it, and one backpack, in that order. After going through the RapiScan (unnecessary comment deleted by moderator), I waited at the conveyer belt for my stuff. As I wait, there was one lady who was going through RapiScan after me. The suitcase first comes out, which I grab from the conveyer and put on the ground. Then the bin with my stuff comes out, and I proceed to quickly put my watch on, my phone in my pocket, and my laptop in my hand. As I wait for my backpack, the lady who was behind me queues up in front of me, and when my backpack comes out, she grabs it, and pushes it all the way down the conveyer belt, and then takes her stuff from her bin, which came immediately after.

I didn’t know what to do, so I just crammed as much attitude as possible into an “excuse me?”, and she says “sorry” while blankly staring off into space.

What would you have done in this situation?
My guess is you're one of those folks that stands right at the end of the tunnel instead of sliding your things to the end of the conveyor belt. Which blocks the folks behind you and backs up the things coming out of the tunnel. I'm in the camp with the lady behind you. To quote the late comic John Pinette... get outta the line...
Old May 2, 2015, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by lskohn
Let it go - if you're standing right where the bags come out, dawdling over putting your belt back on, putting things back in your pockets (! hooray for purses!), there are no people ahead of you ( so that you could have moved down the conveyor belt with your bags yourself) and lots of people behind you coming through reasonably quickly, I'm going to move your bag down the line too.
Likewise. If someone is fussing about putting things back on or in pockets and impeding forward progress I would probably move their bag too.

I usually put my watch, wallet, etc. into an outer pocket of my carry-on when I'm standing in line. When I'm through the line I grab my shoes, belt and lap-top and move to a nearby bench to reorganize my things. Keeps things moving faster that way.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Likewise. If someone is fussing about putting things back on or in pockets and impeding forward progress I would probably move their bag too.

I usually put my watch, wallet, etc. into an outer pocket of my carry-on when I'm standing in line. When I'm through the line I grab my shoes, belt and lap-top and move to a nearby bench to reorganize my things. Keeps things moving faster that way.
+1

If you absolutely need to reassemble at the belt, push your bags/bins to the far end yourself before you start reassembling. That way, the rest of the line (people and belt) won't get held up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.