Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting American girlfriend by car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Som other advice might be -- don't have your car packed with all your wordly possessions and your family photo albums and copies of your c.v. and all the stuff an immigrant would bring. Just carry an appropriate amount of luggage for a three day trip.

Isn't it a long drive from anywhere in Canada to Maryland for just a three day trip? That might get their attention too, they might think you are smuggling something.
Yeah, I'd guess it's ~9 hours. It's one of those weird gray areas where it's too short to fly but too long to drive

Having said that, a relative of mine was known for making a 10 hour ow drive from SK to AB every long weekend.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:37 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I used to have a boyfriend in the US (I'm Canadian). I went down quite frequently (though not as often as you're suggesting) and never had an issue. They'd ask the usual questions about how you met, what you were planning to do there, etc. and then wave me through.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)
Yeah, I'd guess it's ~9 hours. It's one of those weird gray areas where it's too short to fly but too long to drive
9 hours is too short to fly? You must really like driving I won't even drive to Chicago (350 miles), STL (420) or DC/Baltimore (420) any more when I can be there in an hour on Southwest. No way am I driving 9 hours anywhere.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
9 hours is too short to fly? You must really like driving I won't even drive to Chicago (350 miles), STL (420) or DC/Baltimore (420) any more when I can be there in an hour on Southwest. No way am I driving 9 hours anywhere.
Ha, I'd fly YYZ-BWI in a heartbeat, but the cost of the flight isn't all that attractive, especially if it becomes something that's done monthly/bimonthly--especially not for a student!

Plus, road tripping is fun: you get to listen to music and sing along as loudly as you want
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
You should be fine until you get engaged. If your relationship gets to that point you'll need a visa to enter the US (I'm not sure if the reverse is true for her but it likely is).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
You should be fine until you get engaged. If your relationship gets to that point you'll need a visa to enter the US (I'm not sure if the reverse is true for her but it likely is).
They dont have to tell that they are engaged. Just marry if is what they want.
I had a very short engagement to my x now husband We married fast and travelled between 2 countries for a long time.
When we divorced I ended up in US and he in my country . It is still like that after 18 years since the divorce.
When we travelled back to US I always told immigration I am here to visit with my US husband. No problems. But again that was over 18 years ago.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by tanja
They dont have to tell that they are engaged. Just marry if is what they want.
I had a very short engagement to my x now husband We married fast and travelled between 2 countries for a long time.
When we divorced I ended up in US and he in my country . It is still like that after 18 years since the divorce.
When we travelled back to US I always told immigration I am here to visit with my US husband. No problems. But again that was over 18 years ago.
The US specifically requires a visa for fiances visiting their fiancees in the US (and vice versa).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
The US specifically requires a visa for fiances visiting their fiancees in the US (and vice versa).
No, a K1 visa is required if the fiance is coming here to get married. It's also used if the fiance is not from a visa-waiver country or cannot obtain some form of visa to come visit.

As far as a Canadian, you can be a fiance for years and not need a visa. If you finally decide to get married, there are then two general paths to take. One, fill out all the paperwork and wait for the K1 to clear. Two, don't do that and continue to come in as always, get married in the US, then file for adjustment.

The way the regulation is written is that if you have a tourist/student/work visa or visa waiver to visit the US, and you plan to get married, you need a K1 visa to come in and do so. If you don't, it's a visa violation.

If you have a tourist/student/work visa or visa waiver, and you're in the US, and decide to get married after you arrive, you can get married and adjust your status afterwards. No need to leave the country and wait a visa.

If you're here illegally, you can get married anytime and have your status adjusted. No need to leave the country and wait for a visa.

Moral of the story - if you can come in legally, make your wedding plans after you've already arrived. A quickie wedding at the courthouse or in Vegas or somewhere isn't considered a violation of your tourist entry.

If you do plan a wedding beforehand, you'll have to cool your heels back home and you can't enter the US at all (all visas are voided after K1 filing, visa waiver is also voided). If you're here illegally, marry anytime you want.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
No, a K1 visa is required if the fiance is coming here to get married. It's also used if the fiance is not from a visa-waiver country or cannot obtain some form of visa to come visit.

As far as a Canadian, you can be a fiance for years and not need a visa. If you finally decide to get married, there are then two general paths to take. One, fill out all the paperwork and wait for the K1 to clear. Two, don't do that and continue to come in as always, get married in the US, then file for adjustment.

The way the regulation is written is that if you have a tourist/student/work visa or visa waiver to visit the US, and you plan to get married, you need a K1 visa to come in and do so. If you don't, it's a visa violation.

If you have a tourist/student/work visa or visa waiver, and you're in the US, and decide to get married after you arrive, you can get married and adjust your status afterwards. No need to leave the country and wait a visa.

If you're here illegally, you can get married anytime and have your status adjusted. No need to leave the country and wait for a visa.

Moral of the story - if you can come in legally, make your wedding plans after you've already arrived. A quickie wedding at the courthouse or in Vegas or somewhere isn't considered a violation of your tourist entry.

If you do plan a wedding beforehand, you'll have to cool your heels back home and you can't enter the US at all (all visas are voided after K1 filing, visa waiver is also voided). If you're here illegally, marry anytime you want.
Very well written. In my case neither USA or Sweden at the begining. . Mostly Sweden at the time did not get why one of us would not immigrate. We told everybody that we wanted to see which country would be the best for us.
Turned out in the end that we switched countrys.

Last edited by tanja; Apr 27, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I've deleted a few off topic posts

As the topic is entering US by car from Canada....please keep comments generally related...thanks

squeakr

co Mod TS/S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.