Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Taiwan and China with an Arrest Record

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Derekj0787
What do the fingerprint scanners and photos do at the airport ?
If a crime is committed within the country, they would have the means to stop one from skipping town. It wouldn't stop anyone from entering the country.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just ignore them...the communist Chinese like to believe in fairy tales and expect others to go along with their nonsense. Taiwan is a completely separate, sovereign, independent nation and should be considered as such.
De facto, I fully agree. Officially, however, the Taiwanese gov't takes the same position as the PRC gov't: that Taiwan is part of China. The two parties do, however, have a teensy disagreement over which one is the legitimate government of all of China...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
De facto, I fully agree. Officially, however, the Taiwanese gov't takes the same position as the PRC gov't: that Taiwan is part of China. The two parties do, however, have a teensy disagreement over which one is the legitimate government of all of China...
That is changing now especially with the younger generation that sees itself as distinctively "Taiwanese" and looks with disdain (and often disgust) at mainlanders. Every time I open Facebook, there is another slew of articles and posts from my Taiwanese and HK friends making fun of mainland tourists or demanding they be banned from traveling to HK and TW. The cultural break in the under-50 set is pretty deep.

Given the precarious economy, environmental catastrophe, unhappy peasants and restless frontier areas, Taiwan wanting the mainland back at this point would be almost like getting back a pair of "loaned out" underpants with a big skidmark on them - and the answer to that would be "no thanks, just keep them".
Old May 24, 2015, 4:42 am

I just got a little nervous because on the Taiwan immigration site it said no criminal record to be allowed in but I don't know exactly what pops up when they scan my passport or scan my fingerprints.

So from what I'm gathering is that it probably won't show up but if it does and they question just be honest and tell them it was dismissed?
We are the same boat as you, my bf and i are planning to visit my parents in taiwan this year, but he has a conviction for shop lifting from 15yrs ago!
I also read on the taiwanese immigration website that no criminal record is allowed! Does that mean he won't allowed through immigration? Do you have any updates? Appreciate it if you can continue to share if you've been already.

We are planning to travel in Dec.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:07 am

I have a federal criminal record in Canada for weapons that I was given probation for, over 34 years ago. I have had no charges since and I cannot afford a pardon so the record remains. Will Taiwan deny my entry? I know that if I have a stop in the US, Im screwed, but if I can get there direct from Canada, will I be okay?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:20 am

Just ignore them...the communist Chinese like to believe in fairy tales and expect others to go along with their nonsense. Taiwan is a completely separate, sovereign, independent nation and should be considered as such.
Not a very smart policy when dealing with police types.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by moondog
Not a very smart policy when dealing with police types.
Perhaps, but having taken my daily anti-brainwashing tablet, I just avoid travel to China and focus on places I want to go.

As to the OP, I really don't know what they should do because it depends if the old conviction is in a global database somewhere - perhaps a new passport might help, but I think approaching the Taiwan 'embassy' in Canada and asking for guidance would be the best option and avoid a possible quick turn back on arrival.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:39 am

Perhaps, but having taken my daily anti-brainwashing tablet, I just avoid travel to China and focus on places I want to go.
That's fine, but the OP is going to the mainland.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
1) TSA is not a law enforcement agency and has no access to any criminal databases.

2) Laladykat, your case is different from the OPs. To the OP, it doesn't sound like he was convicted of anything. The drug charge was dismissed or not processed, presumably after some community service or something. That's not a conviction. The traffic case was a traffic case so no issues there. None of that stuff will be known by the Taiwanese. A 34 year old weapons charge? That probably isn't in their database at all, but you clearly do have a conviction. The risk is low, and people with convictions of all types travel internationally all the time.

Last edited by catocony; Apr 17, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I'm using my grandparents luggage so I doubt there will be residue/odor on there luggage lol.
just an aside. Here in Washington state where pot is legal, I've visited a couple pot shops (to show my out of town friends part of our culture of course), and I've noticed that perhaps 50% or so of the shoppers were older folks. So...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:31 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I flew with my boss to TPE a few years ago. They wouldn't let him in because he had a prior that showed up on Interpol. They said he could try again after ten years had passed since that incident.

He was deported to Hong Kong the next day.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I flew with my boss to TPE a few years ago. They wouldn't let him in because he had a prior that showed up on Interpol. They said he could try again after ten years had passed since that incident.

He was deported to Hong Kong the next day.

what kind of prior did he have, it had to be serious to show up on interpol
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm using my grandparents luggage so I doubt there will be residue/odor on there luggage lol.
Only mothball residue.

Have a great time.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nickolaus Zachariah McConnell
what kind of prior did he have, it had to be serious to show up on interpol
He knocked out another bar patron in London.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:58 am

HI guys,

so I recently was surprised with a trip to taiwan and china from my family, the only thing is i have a arrest record.

1. traffic for allowing someone to drive my car without liscense, i was never arrested just had to appear in court and was given a fine that i paid off.

2. I was arrested in 2013 for felony drug charge that was later dropped to a misdemeanor for cannabis, i was ordered to do drug court which i completed and my case was dismissed. The arrest still shows on my record because my expunge application is still being processed since it takes 3-6 months for it to go through.

Will i have trouble going through immigration/customs when i get to taiwan? i'm a little nervous about getting denied once i arrive. I was approved for my chinese visa for my trip to shanghai so i'm not too worried about that trip. If someone has experience with traveling to taiwan or any other asian country with a record have any feedback i would appreciate it ! thanks !
What i do in your case is read all the legal information of the country and like other say to you do not travel with things that are illegal in that country

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.