Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Needles & nail clippers? Or how to (safely) keep busy on a flight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:58 am
Original Poster

I have a long daytime flight coming up, and to avoid motion sickness I try not to read or watch tv. Which means that it might be a very boring flight!

I have some bead-weaving techniques that I would like to practice, and I know it will keep me busy and distracted throughout the flight. Obviously I would only take the minimal tools necessary, which would probably amount to a a few large needles, and a pair of nail clippers.

I'm flying on Emirates, CPT-DXB-LGW, and then return. I know security is... capricious, to say the least, but what are the odds of needles and nail clippers being allowed on these flights? I'm not worried about losing them if they're confiscated, but it will leave me with nothing to do on the flight.

I see that the Emirates site says that knitting needles, scissors and nail files aren't allowed, so that means I can't take up knitting either. Any other ideas to keep busy during a long flight that is allowed by security?

Edit: actually the nail clippers are probably optional - I've seen suggestions to wrap thread in a dental floss container, which should work perfectly. So it's just the needles.

Last edited by ceejay_za; Mar 24, 2015 at 6:36 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I like needlework and do a lot of long-haul, so I feel for you.

How big are the "large needles"? A bit bigger than standard sewing needles, or nearly knitting-needle size?

Can you use plastic (or other non-metallic) needles? They might not be so prominent on the x-ray or appear as dangerous if they are noticed.

I sometimes travel with a little zippered bag for my laptop cord, phone charger and other wiry techno things. If by coincidence a needlecase was tucked in with all those other long thin metal bits, it might not draw attention.

You seem to have solved the scissor/nail clipper problem with the dental floss container, but another option is this: Clover thread cutter

My concern about sewing on planes is not just getting through security, it's some anything-for-safety paranoid idiot in the row behind seeing me doing cross-stitch with a 2.5" needle and reporting me to the flight crew.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:15 am

I flew NCE-DXB-BJS-DXB-FRA in September of last year and took a sock on DPNs along with me. No one said a single word to me, and I was knitting during boarding, taxi, and cruise on all of those flights, nor did I have any problem at security in DXB. Your mileage may of course vary...
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

These are needles that are probably about 4cm or so... they shouldn't look threatening at all, but you never know! I'm not sure if they're made in plastic, but that might be an options to investigate, thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:35 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Maybe now is the time to take up crocheting? I'm sure crochet hooks are allowed.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Maybe now is the time to take up crocheting? I'm sure crochet hooks are allowed.
I thought of that, I'm just not sure I have the co-ordination Might be worth considering, though.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Puerto Vallarta security made me check my crochet needle (a teeny one!) along with my small, but metal, circular needles. TSA was fine with me taking them on board in the US, but I had to check them coming back through Mexican security. The inconsistencies are frustrating.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by RadioGirl

You seem to have solved the scissor/nail clipper problem with the dental floss container, but another option is this: Clover thread cutter
Clover thread cutters are prohibited in the cabin in the USA:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nd-needlepoint

DanishFlyer
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer

DanishFlyer
Wow. New depths of stupid. I hope they're allowed in the civilized countries where the OP is flying.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Wow. New depths of stupid. I hope they're allowed in the civilized countries where the OP is flying.
I've had teeny tiny nail scissors allowed in one direction, confiscated on the return. According to my research, knitting needles are allowed by the TSA, but not by Heathrow securityl. I've given up on expecting consistency
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Stupid, yes, new, no. It has been on the prohibited list for years now.

Plus losing that to some trash can would be annoying - a bit less painful with the dental floss container, at least :-)

DanishFlyer
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer

DanishFlyer
Wow - I travel with these all the time, usually between Europe and Asia. The blade is about 2mm wide. You could do far more damage with a knife or glass given to you onboard.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ceejay_za
I've had teeny tiny nail scissors allowed in one direction, confiscated on the return. According to my research, knitting needles are allowed by the TSA, but not by Heathrow securityl. I've given up on expecting consistency
Nope - knitting needles are specifically listed by Heathrow as permitted. There is some non-official site out there that lists them as forbidden, but they have been allowed for several years now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.