Wiki Posts
Search

Temporary Swedish passport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The TSA issue with photo in prior Swedish passport was almost certainly not related to gender identity.

It was almost certainly related to some other issue, perhaps including aspects connected to how the Swedish government was handling and processing passport photos at the time of her passport application.

If I were the OP, I would merely insist on using the LPR card as photo ID with the TSA. It might require escalation and re-escalation, but eventually someone should acknowledge it as acceptable form of photo ID -- whether or not they accept it as ID for the OP, who knows.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If it has your photo, your name, an expiration date, and the consulate's raised seal, then why won't the TSA accept the document as foreign government-issued ID? Because it still suspects the document to be a fraudulently-created document or not to be a foreign government-issued passport?
it will have everything on it. Only valid for 7 months. And hand written.
They did not tell me why. But I can imagine cause it is pink and hand written. Plus swedish passport are very popular in the black market.
even the embassy has told me that it does happen that carriers of this EM gets into trouble.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:48 am
Original Poster

The TSA issue with photo in prior Swedish passport was almost certainly not related to gender identity.

It was almost certainly related to some other issue, perhaps including aspects connected to how the Swedish government was handling and processing passport photos at the time of her passport application.

If I were the OP, I would merely insist on using the LPR card as photo ID with the TSA. It might require escalation and re-escalation, but eventually someone should acknowledge it as acceptable form of photo ID -- whether or not they accept it as ID for the OP, who knows.
Yes correct about the photo. At the time my last passport picture was taken ( 11 years ago) It was the RULE that you had to have 2 ears. nose in profile and in the same time look into the camera with both eyes.
Most people look idiots when pictures are taken like this.
The photografer had a hard time taking the picture. the first set was rejected by the embassy. Secound set was accepted. Do I look weird in it. Yes I do. Apart from that just 11 years older.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Did you even read the post you're responding to?

Step 1. Check in at SAS, using your emergency/temporary passport. Check your bags. Do not go through security.

Step 2. Walk over to terminal 3 (outside of security), check in at United (with a fully refundable ticket for a domestic flight), and go through security there, showing your United domestic boarding pass and your green card.

Step 3. Walk back over to the SAS terminal and gate. Call United and cancel your flight. Get on plane to Sweden.

OR...

You could just check in for your SAS flight, go to security, show them your green card and emergency passport, and be on your way.

Is it 100% certain that TSA will not have some sort of issue with accepting your green card and emergency Swedish passport? No, nothing is 100% certain. It is, however, HIGHLY unlikely that you'll have any problem whatsoever.

One note: you mention upthread that TSA at one point had an issue with the picture in your Swedish passport. Do you look materially different from the picture on your green card? Please don't take offense, but does your gender identity and presentation match that listed on your documentation? If not, I can see how that could present an additional problem.

If, however, you have a valid green card with a picture that looks like you, and a valid emergency passport, you shouldn't have any trouble.
I do not turn out good in pictures at all. But it is rude of an TSA to tell a traveller that they are not allowed to look like that in a picture. They had no doubt it was me. It all took a minute. Just did not like the picture.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I can imagine that TSA might be a bit skeptical of a handwritten document (Swedish emergency passport) that the person checking your documents has never seen before, but that's not all the ID you have. You have a valid green card, which they definitely HAVE seen before, and is US government issued.

SAS will want to see your passport when you check in. They'll have definitely seen a Swedish emergency passport before, so no issue there.

Your green card is definitely acceptable ID for TSA, whether for domestic or international flights. Start with that. In the event they do ask for a passport (they shouldn't, because whether or not you can get into Sweden on arrival is SAS's problem, not TSA's, but they might), show them the emergency passport.

Really, you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Is it possible you'll have a problem? Sure, you could also get into a car accident on the way to the airport, for that matter. That said, I really really doubt you're going to run into any trouble whatsoever.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I can imagine that TSA might be a bit skeptical of a handwritten document (Swedish emergency passport) that the person checking your documents has never seen before, but that's not all the ID you have. You have a valid green card, which they definitely HAVE seen before, and is US government issued.

SAS will want to see your passport when you check in. They'll have definitely seen a Swedish emergency passport before, so no issue there.

Your green card is definitely acceptable ID for TSA, whether for domestic or international flights. Start with that. In the event they do ask for a passport (they shouldn't, because whether or not you can get into Sweden on arrival is SAS's problem, not TSA's, but they might), show them the emergency passport.

Really, you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Is it possible you'll have a problem? Sure, you could also get into a car accident on the way to the airport, for that matter. That said, I really really doubt you're going to run into any trouble whatsoever.
I do thank you for your time. Mountain out a molehill. Maybe maybe not.
After reading what you guys write I get that all airports are different . And of cause everybody working in the airports are different.
I have flown out from LAX Los Angeles since 2001.
And between Sweden and USA since 1973. So I know how to travel.
Start with GC ?
TSA there always asks to have passport out not GC. That to everybody.Should they... nobody questioned that at LAX. Maybe they changed now I dont know.
Now I have moved up North and will fly out of San Francisco. No clue what they do there. We will see.
It always helps to hear how other people see it. Thank you . Have a great weekend.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tanja
Dont know how it is where you live. But in CA. TSA has asked everybody for their passports.And at all their check points. What I wrote is what TSA has told me when I called to their help line.
No I dont think I can get added to a bill since I dont work.
Want to add that we are talking about an international flight. Maybe it is different for a domestic. I dont know since I dont fly domestic.
LAX is my home airport. I have never ever been asked by the TSA to present a passport when clearing security before departing on domestic or international itineraries. The airlines, on the other hand, always make sure that I have a valid passport in my possession while boarding; it is checked as my boarding pass is scanned or collected.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
LAX is my home airport. I have never ever been asked by the TSA to present a passport when clearing security before departing on domestic or international itineraries.
LAX is not my home airport, and yet this: when flying some international flights out of the U.S., I've had TSA at LAX -- and at ORD, JFK and EWR -- insist on seeing my passports instead of my driving license, passport card or other non-passport federal ID. And given how close I cut some of my arrivals at the airport, waiting to have it escalated may have sometimes cost me missing the flights.

I've also seen the TSA TDCs insist on seeing passport ID for very young, international-flying minors -- even as children of that age (and some multiples older) are not required by the TSA to have ID for the TDC.

The TSA's ways are all the more reason to pad in additional time to deal with the TSA.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I know I dont have to have a passport if I travel domestic.
But international YES I DO.Plus my GC.
Are you flying non-stop? If not, you do not have to worry about the TSA. Do not show them your international boarding pass, just the boarding pass for the first segment.

(When I fly ATL-JFK-TLV, I only show my ATL-JFK boarding pass to the TSA in Atlanta.) Once you are airside, nobody will ask to see your boarding pass again until you are ready to get on the plane at JFK.)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
Are you flying non-stop? If not, you do not have to worry about the TSA. Do not show them your international boarding pass, just the boarding pass for the first segment.

(When I fly ATL-JFK-TLV, I only show my ATL-JFK boarding pass to the TSA in Atlanta.) Once you are airside, nobody will ask to see your boarding pass again until you are ready to get on the plane at JFK.)
You've never had a gate-area TSA check at the transit point that happens to be the US gateway for your international flight? I've seen this happen (even when CBP is not involved doing a gate-area/jetbridge checking of passengers) and they check for ID sometimes.

Also, there are some routes, such as California-ORD-CPH, that involve clearing the TSA TDC at the transit airport screening checkpoint for the same-day connecting flight to CPH. The TSA at ORD, for example, generally checks for ID on this routing to CPH. Much the same goes for many Star Alliance trips that have California-EWR-CPH routings.

If the OP arrives at the airport early enough and takes a more direct routing like SFO-CPH by using the LPR card with the TSA and by using this emergency travel doc with the airline and CBP/passport control, then way more times than not it will work just fine and without issue. It does help if the names on all the docs line up and the Swedish consular officials are available to be contacted if there is doubt about the legitimacy of the document. My bet is that once the airline notice she's Swedish (and by the way she speaks in Swedish) the airline won't cause that much issue -- at least if SK's own employee/management is on-site.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 19, 2015 at 5:52 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
You've never had a gate-area TSA check at the transit point that happens to be the US gateway for your international flight?
Nope, not once.

When flying JFK-TLV there is always a TSA-type security check at the gate, but it is done by a private company hired by Delta. They do not ask to see documents but they do have you remove shoes, belts, etc, even if you have Pre-Check.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
Nope, not once.

When flying JFK-TLV there is always a TSA-type security check at the gate, but it is done by a private company hired by Delta. They do not ask to see documents but they do have you remove shoes, belts, etc, even if you have Pre-Check.
So when the U.S. airlines take over airside security screening, the TSA gate-area screeners are out of that job? Great, as it sounds like another reason to cheerlead for the end of the massive TSA workfare program and a return to US airline takeover of, and accountability for, security screening at the airports.

For other JFK-originating/connecting trips on Delta, the TSA has done some gate checks and sometimes asks for ID along with boarding pass at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.