Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List of countries/airports who take fingerprints and other biometric data

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of countries/airports who take fingerprints and other biometric data

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Alas, it was only a matter of time: China started fingerprinting visitors yesterday, so far only in Shenzen, but soon at all airports (and likely other border crossings). All good things end one day, don't they?

I may be able to update the table of the start post tomorrow, changes other than putting China on the "red list" will be:

• Add Senegal
  • Remove Indonesia - no fingerprints collected as confirmed by a friend of mine who went there recently
  • Remove Guinea-Bissau - fingerprints only needed for people who require a visa for the country

To clarify on the last bullet point, it's only my intention to list countries that fingerprint everyone except their own citizens, otherwise I'd have to add the Schengen countries, Canada etc. which is not the purpose of this project.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by Brave New World
Alas, it was only a matter of time: China started fingerprinting visitors yesterday, so far only in Shenzen, but soon at all airports (and likely other border crossings). All good things end one day, don't they?

I may be able to update the table of the start post tomorrow, changes other than putting China on the "red list" will be:

• Add Senegal
  • Remove Indonesia - no fingerprints collected as confirmed by a friend of mine who went there recently
  • Remove Guinea-Bissau - fingerprints only needed for people who require a visa for the country

To clarify on the last bullet point, it's only my intention to list countries that fingerprint everyone except their own citizens, otherwise I'd have to add the Schengen countries, Canada etc. which is not the purpose of this project.
If it's only your intention to list countries that fingerprint everyone EXCEPT their own citizens, then you need to remove Singapore as well--they do everybody.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Updated table live now. Also added India, which have been fingerprinting people for quite some time already.

@MKE-MR: Wow, I wasn't aware of that! Well it wouldn't be really necessary to list this, but it's interesting nevertheless so I included this fact into the most recent table.

By the way, full quotes are not necessary when referring to the latest post
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
It's been awhile now since I made the crossing, but Jordan does iris scan randomly at land border on arrival and departure.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:49 am

?

Maybe it`s not very smart question but...what are they doing with the fingerprints/iris/ photos collected at the aiports/land borders
( arrivals/departures) are they simply assign them with the passport copy or they actually process everything in seconds and automatically go through all kinds of data bases ( europol/interpol/country`s own police etc). Of course we`re talking here about standard go through the immigration not being stopped and going through more detailed check. And where are they storing it ? For how long?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
You don't specify which country you are asking about; each country will have its own laws, regulations and policies about what it does with the information it collected during passport control/immigration processes.

Travelers should expect their information will be kept electronically in perpetuity. And they should also expect this information to be used in all sorts of government activities including by foreign/domestic security/intelligence activities, criminal/civil law enforcement activities, marketing activities, and yes, political skullduggery even in countries that have prohibitions on such use of government data.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:08 am

Need to remove Singapore from this list. I came though just a few days ago and was only asked to show my passport. No photos or fingerprints were taken.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

codyc1515, it's very unlikely that they suddenly would stop doing this after just introducing it less than a year ago.

Are you travelling frequently to Singapore and have got some sort of waiver? Or perhaps the equipment wasn't operational, what about other travellers that were in front of/behind you in the queue? Did you enter via Changi or elsewhere?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:39 am

codyc1515, it's very unlikely that they suddenly would stop doing this after just introducing it less than a year ago.

Are you travelling frequently to Singapore and have got some sort of waiver? Or perhaps the equipment wasn't operational, what about other travellers that were in front of/behind you in the queue? Did you enter via Changi or elsewhere?
All valid points. For what its worth, I exited Singapore today and they definitely took them then. I will be back in Singapore tomorrow night and will checkin again and let you know what happens.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
All valid points. For what its worth, I exited Singapore today and they definitely took them then. I will be back in Singapore tomorrow night and will checkin again and let you know what happens.
Bold mine. Though I enter and exit Singapore through the automated kiosks, I sometimes see people enter and exit without fingerprints taken. Wonder if random? I have a friend coming in next week so I'll see what happens to him. He was here in January and no fingerprints taken.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:16 am

Anybody knows if Georgia collects fingerprints on airport or land border crossing?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by flyingmango
Bold mine. Though I enter and exit Singapore through the automated kiosks, I sometimes see people enter and exit without fingerprints taken. Wonder if random? I have a friend coming in next week so I'll see what happens to him. He was here in January and no fingerprints taken.
When I came back into Singapore second time now they took the fingerprints. Interestingly I was allowed to use the automated border control which only takes one thumb (from either hand). No stamp in passport as a result of it being electronic. Border control agent said that because it was electronic they didn't need the little leaflet that you get when entering the country with your arrival info.

Malaysia also took fingerprints both ways, as well as a photo. I noticed that Singapore had the cameras but they didn't seem to be using them however. Maybe they took my photo secretely?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:38 am
CGA

Programs: Star Alliance, One World
ISRAEL?

Guys, any one knows if fingerprinting / biometrics are taken at Israel Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport upon arrival? Have read some scary tales about security proceedings at Ben Gurion, though nothing specific about fingerprinting...
Will be getting there in three weeks, flying in from Turkey, on an EU - Italian passport..
Will appreciate any feedback!
​​​​​​​CG Alf.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Security measures at Israeli airports are apparently extensive, however during my research I never came across fingerprinting, so I don't think it's happening there.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:23 am
CGA

Programs: Star Alliance, One World
Security measures at Israeli airports are apparently extensive, however during my research I never came across fingerprinting, so I don't think it's happening there.
Thanks for your answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.