Large sheets of metal in carryon?

Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Large sheets of metal in carryon?

Specifically those labeled 'i' in the 2nd picture:
http://www.antipe.com/en/ionto-instr...onto-mini.html

They resemble 8.5x11 sheets of paper but are electrodes for physical therapy of the hands.

I've never traveled with the device but I may need to soon and I wonder if I will have any trouble at the x-ray.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by davie355
Specifically those labeled 'i' in the 2nd picture:
http://www.antipe.com/en/ionto-instr...onto-mini.html

They resemble 8.5x11 sheets of paper but are electrodes for physical therapy of the hands.

I've never traveled with the device but I may need to soon and I wonder if I will have any trouble at the x-ray.
If the two sheets are laid flat against the back of a roller-board cabin bag with the other components in a separate bag, it often enough clears without issue. They may want to look at the sheets and run the bag separately, but metal sheets as support for bags or something else isn't all that rare.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
If they ask, declare it as a medical device.

They're allowed to visually inspect it and ask you to touch it so they can perform an ETD. Anything more and ask for a SUPERVISOR (3 strip) not a lead.

They don't get to play doctor. The best was the id10t at DCA who told me "I know it's a cell phone" to which I replied "I'm pretty sure I know what the medical device I'm wearing is".

Lots of the front line staff are ignorant of their own rules. I've taken to hunting up and telling 3 stripers when their teams need retraining... and it works. SEA has gotten a lot better. Even gotten a thank you once.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:26 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I've flown with license plates (US Style) in my carry-on a few times and they often get pegged for second hand inspection by TSA. Once they see what they are I am cleared save for sometimes inane questions about why I have them which I do not answer. For you, as others noted, declare them as a medical device and you should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.