Funny "rules" of HEL airport security scans

Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Just to be clear - I am talking about the non-schengen transfer security.

I have never been frisked, BTW. It is still pretty annoying to be halted due to total nonsense issues, like banknotes in breast pocket.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by FFlash
It is advisable to look the new upstairs security if the fast-track is congested. Few times I have found it faster there.
What is "upstairs security" ?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by tsastor
What is "upstairs security" ?
There's a security line now upstairs as well, to the right as you enter the terminal (T2)
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
My tube of toothpaste was "too large" at HEL, this despite the fact that it was even larger when I entered SYD (brand new and unopened) and BKK (used during my overnight stay, and also on the plane between BKK and HEL). But she was lovely and apologetic about making me open my bag so she could check.

More than I can say about the little twerp fellow passenger waiting behind me in line who kept trying to shove my things out of the way during the quick examination.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
My tube of toothpaste was "too large" at HEL.
My guess is that it's by the capacity of the tube, not actually how much is in there. So a full 75ml tube is no problem, a half empty 125ml is too big.

Would be an interesting experience (not just in HEL, any airport) to have a 0,3L water bottle (or whatever liquid container) with a self printed label saying 0,1L
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
My guess is that it's by the capacity of the tube, not actually how much is in there. So a full 75ml tube is no problem, a half empty 125ml is too big.

Would be an interesting experience (not just in HEL, any airport) to have a 0,3L water bottle (or whatever liquid container) with a self printed label saying 0,1L
Do you live in Porvoo?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
There's a security line now upstairs as well, to the right as you enter the terminal (T2)
Really? Was at T2 last week and didn't notice. Have to keep my eyes open next time.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

It can be effective child's play. The trick fools the TSA in the US quite effectively. Same for the LHR screeners. Both have been more likely to fuss over a 1L empty bottle than 300ml in a mislabeled bottle indicating 100ml.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It can be effective child's play. The trick fools the TSA in the US quite effectively. Same for the LHR screeners. Both have been more likely to fuss over a 1L empty bottle than 300ml in a mislabeled bottle indicating 100ml.
Do you mean it works in real life? And I was not the first one to think of it?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by remymartin
A frisk there is more like a massage than imidating. Last time it happened I actually enjoyed it!
Not going there
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

Do you mean it works in real life? And I was not the first one to think of it?
Yes and yes. At first, it was quite literally child's play that gives proof to the amazing ability of young children to manipulate and creatively deceive adults and other children -- all to protect their self-interests after experiencing patterns of behavior whereby others were repeatedly intent upon depriving them of their possessions.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes and yes. At first, it was quite literally child's play that gives proof to the amazing ability of young children to manipulate and creatively deceive adults and other children -- all to protect their self-interests after experiencing patterns of behavior whereby others were repeatedly intent upon depriving them of their possessions.
Yeah man. This gets offtopic, but given all the stupid liquid rules and the bad enforcing of them, I have always thought someone will one day come with a harmless-looking bottle, clear liquid in it, saying it is "just water" and there is definitely something more than harmless in there...and nobody will care.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Interesting for the future but doesn't really explain why HEL does it already.

And "protective cases" seems to mean all covers/shells. Won't long lines form everywhere if you are to force people to eject devices not only from bag but also from casing?!
Yeah, such cases are usually not designed for easy removal.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
USA TSA sometimes requires that paper tissues be removed from pockets before going through the nuude-o-scope.
Yes, but they don't require that smartphone cases and protective tablet cases be removed/opened -- speaking of cases which remain on when using the devices.

The smartphone and tablet damage rate at airports would skyrocket if we had to remove such cases at the TSA screening checkpoints. Perhaps the tablet/phone manufacturers and their suppliers should give a bonus for airport screeners contributing to damaging/destroying more such devices -- perhaps by materially enticing the officials involved in such decision making positions to demand these cases be removed too. [I'm joking, in the prior sentence.]
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FFlash
Yeah man. This gets offtopic, but given all the stupid liquid rules and the bad enforcing of them, I have always thought someone will one day come with a harmless-looking bottle, clear liquid in it, saying it is "just water" and there is definitely something more than harmless in there...and nobody will care.
Maybe it has happened. We wouldn't necessarily know, would we?

If it's in a 3.4 ounce container, it could happen right now.

Could be 150 proof vodka, who's to say?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.