Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting between Terminals @ LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Connecting between Terminals @ LAX

Hi. I apologize in advance if this is not the right forum to ask these questions.

We just booked an award ticket to Japan and back in Oct 2015 using US Airways Dividend Miles. The itinerary calls for a connection between US Airways flight and JAL flight at LAX. Our US Airways flight will be arriving in LAX at noon (to Terminal 6 or 4, I assume), and we need to connect to a JAL flight that leaves Tom Bradley at 1:50 PM.

We travel often, but this would be the first time we will make an international flight connection at LAX in about 8 years.

Here are my questions:

1. Is one hour and 50 minutes sufficient connection time for this?
2. Should we just walk to Tom Bradley? We are not mobility challenged. I'm answering the answer is yes, especially if the US Airways flight arrives in Terminal 4.
3. Or should we use the bus?
4. Whether we use the bus or not, it is correct to assume that we have to leave a TSA screened area of the airport and re-enter through TSA at Tom Bradley? Do we have to go through the security lines at Tom Bradley to board the JAL flight?

Thank you very much.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Take the bus; it's a bit of a hike to TBIT.

You will have to re-clear security; it's a landside connection. You will exit the secure area, travel over to the TBIT, then go through TSA again. No additional screening beyond that.

To me, 1:50 seems okay. I've taken a connection not much longer than that, exited security, hopped a shuttle over to the Parking Spot, had In-N-Out Burger, then shuttled back to the airport, re-cleared security, and flown out (this was before the days of PreCheck, too).
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Oy. US arrives into T6. I'd personally think about walking to TBIT. 1:50 is doable if you already have your BPs in hand.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jan 15, 2015 at 5:09 am Reason: no Precheck at TBIT
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver (somehow)
Originally Posted by LAXative
Oy. US arrives into T6. I'd personally think about walking to TBIT. 1:50 is doable if you already have your BPs in hand and have PreCheck.
Does TBIT even have PRE lines? I have only ever flown out of there EVA business class and the business/first lines don't have a TSA Pre line.

Real question, not a humble brag.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by crackerman
Does TBIT even have PRE lines? I have only ever flown out of there EVA business class and the business/first lines don't have a TSA Pre line.
I don't think there is any Pre✓ participating airline at TBIT.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
There is no pre-check in the Bradley Terminal.

AA is building a walkway between T4 and the TBIT, but it won't be ready for some time.

I am also aware that AA runs buses between certain of the terminals and its commuter terminal, and I believe T4-5-6 are now connected airside through tunnels that used to be closed.

But I don't believe AA is running a bus to the TBIT.

Do I have all that right?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Indeed, no Precheck at TBIT... I just went into auto-type mode and added Precheck like I always do.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
OP - If you are arriving on US mainline, you will arrive at Terminal 6. You can walk landside to Bradley or airside as far as Terminal 4, as the connector won't be ready till early next year.

It is actually much faster to walk than to take the bus.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
There is no pre-check in the Bradley Terminal.

AA is building a walkway between T4 and the TBIT, but it won't be ready for some time.

I am also aware that AA runs buses between certain of the terminals and its commuter terminal, and I believe T4-5-6 are now connected airside through tunnels that used to be closed.

But I don't believe AA is running a bus to the TBIT.

Do I have all that right?
AA is not building the walkway. LAWA is. AA gets to brand it, and it will be most useful to their passengers, as AA will have preferential use of the gates closest to it.

AA does not run a bus to Bradley, but Qantas does. I think only Qantas passengers can use it, however.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Lengthy existing thread in the Los Angeles Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ns-thread.html

Includes link to LAWA PDF map of LAX (link).

The airside T4 -TBIT bus is for QF pax only. Much shorter and less hassle to walk to TBIT, where you'll have to process security (no PreCheck).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.