Wiki Posts
Search

Tough security at gate for UA flight IAH-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Tough security at gate for UA flight IAH-LHR

So for the first time ever I was thinking....what is this about.
Yesterday I flew on UA985 from Houston to London.
After our boarding passes were scanned, we walked through the walkway and there we are met by the K9 Police unit and up to 8 TSA officers.
We all had to put our hand luggage against one wall and stand on the other side. The TSA were were extremely strict with their voice and all of us just wondered what is going on.
Well, the sniffer dog did his job where the policeman pointed at every single bag for the dog. Well....all of them cleared in my group and we entered the plane and all went well. Same thing happened to everyone else
Still....I've come by these random checks where dogs just walked up and down whilst we stand in line to board a plane or after getting off, but this one was rather extreme. Maybe I'm just not used to this since I'm from Norway.

Has this ever happened to you guys?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:55 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
So for the first time ever I was thinking....what is this about.
Yesterday I flew on UA985 from Houston to London.
After our boarding passes were scanned, we walked through the walkway and there we are met by the K9 Police unit and up to 8 TSA officers.
We all had to put our hand luggage against one wall and stand on the other side. The TSA were were extremely strict with their voice and all of us just wondered what is going on.
Well, the sniffer dog did his job where the policeman pointed at every single bag for the dog. Well....all of them cleared in my group and we entered the plane and all went well. Same thing happened to everyone else
Still....I've come by these random checks where dogs just walked up and down whilst we stand in line to board a plane or after getting off, but this one was rather extreme. Maybe I'm just not used to this since I'm from Norway.

Has this ever happened to you guys?
Are you sure it was TSA and not CBP- customs and Border Protection?

CBP often handles outbound flights in the jetway checking passports, bags, asking about money etc.
Just curious.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The most common reason for these outbound jetbridge searches is that they were looking for undeclared cash being smuggled out of the country. CBP catches people all the time. They might have gotten a tip that somebody on your flight might attempt to do so. The dogs are trained to detect large amounts of currency--in fact, they even can detect large amounts the used to be in a suitcase, even if no longer there!

More uncommonly, sometimes DHS/TSA gets a tip about a potential security risk, and they decide to have a secondary jetbridge search of carry-on luggage.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
FlyingHoustonian: Maybe you're right. There may have been CBP officers there as well, only I didn't notice them. Though it was that specific TSA officer..(saw it on the shirt), that was shouting out what needed to be done.

ESpen36: Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of that one!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
You should see some US bound China flights...

X-ray bags at the entrance to the airport, regular security screening, additional security screening to enter US bound flights area, Passport check at gate, bag search once you scan you BP to board, and (if you get lucky) random pat downs at the door to the plane. lol.

Usually they have some kind of extra screenings for US flights from China but that day was just plain nuts. If you had liquids you bought in the airport they were making you toss it as well.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The most common reason for these outbound jetbridge searches is that they were looking for undeclared cash being smuggled out of the country. CBP catches people all the time. They might have gotten a tip that somebody on your flight might attempt to do so. The dogs are trained to detect large amounts of currency--in fact, they even can detect large amounts the used to be in a suitcase, even if no longer there!

More uncommonly, sometimes DHS/TSA gets a tip about a potential security risk, and they decide to have a secondary jetbridge search of carry-on luggage.
Most of those gate area searches for money fail to find anyone in violation of legal reporting requirements for exporting cash or other covered instruments.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
4 pax caught not declarign money

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most of those gate area searches for money fail to find anyone in violation of legal reporting requirements for exporting cash or other covered instruments.
not this time. A two-fer!!

Customs Agents At Dulles Seize $37,000 In Cash.

WRC-TV Washington (1/16, Cho, 613K) reports US Customs and Border Protection officers on Thursday “seized about $37,000 of unreported currency from two separate groups of passengers at Dulles International Airport.” The first group were two men from Beijing with $22,238 and the other group a Northern Virginia couple had $15,215 “concealed on their bodies and in a purse.” The story says both groups had submitted a written statement that they were carrying less that $10,000 in cash, the legal limit to take out of the country on an international flight.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:45 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Section 107

WRC-TV Washington (1/16, Cho, 613K) reports US Customs and Border Protection officers on Thursday “seized about $37,000 of unreported currency from two separate groups of passengers at Dulles International Airport.” The first group were two men from Beijing with $22,238 and the other group a Northern Virginia couple had $15,215 “concealed on their bodies and in a purse.” The story says both groups had submitted a written statement that they were carrying less that $10,000 in cash, the legal limit to take out of the country on an international flight.

Which is NOT the legal limit. There is no legal limit. It is the limit for declarations...sigh.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by HGHUA
You should see some US bound China flights...

X-ray bags at the entrance to the airport, regular security screening, additional security screening to enter US bound flights area, Passport check at gate, bag search once you scan you BP to board, and (if you get lucky) random pat downs at the door to the plane. lol.

Usually they have some kind of extra screenings for US flights from China but that day was just plain nuts. If you had liquids you bought in the airport they were making you toss it as well.
(bolding mine)

Normal for US-bound flights from HKG.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:13 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
About a year ago I was flying out of JFK T8 (AA). Gates 11 and 12 (I think 1 and 2 also) have a common entrance, and diverge later along the passageway. I was flying JFK-ZRH out of gate 11; Qatar air had a flight out of 12. There were TSA people in the passageway checking ONLY the Qatar flight not my flight.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Conduct enough fishing expeditions and law enforcement gets lucky. Most of these gate area CBP fishing expeditions for undeclared cash exceeding $10k catch nothing.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
(deleted)

Last edited by Spiff; Jan 20, 2015 at 1:46 pm Reason: Better for the other TSS forum
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Was the bolded part above actually in the story, or did you add that? You didn't put it quotes, so I don't know.

The article currently says the following (which is correct), don't know if it was changed from an earlier version:

"There is no limit to how much currency travelers may carry into or out of the U.S. However, travelers are required by federal law to report amounts exceeding $10,000 or risk facing criminal charges and having their currency seized.

Both groups had reported in writing that they were carrying less than $10,000."

As an aside issue, out of curiosity, does the $10K reporting limit apply per person or per group/family? e.g., if a couple had $9K each, would they be exempt, or does the reporting limit apply since they're traveling together?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no limit on importing or exporting cash. Anti money-laundering statutes require that one report the cash inbound or outbound, in excess of $10K. The same laws also prohibit engaging in "structuring" to avoid detection of reporting, e.g., splitting the cash between people and other sillinesses. These are largely no different than reporting requirements at financial institutions and also by almost any trade or business (pay your contractor $15K in cash and he files a report with IRS).

Back on the topic here, this could well have been a CBP led operation with TSA assistance or vice-a-versa. It is an international flight and thus the inspection could be for more than simple safety & security (remember that although the US does not have exit Customs checkpoints as do many countries, CBP still has full inspection authority).

This could have been anything from wholly random to a tip about drugs, money, terrorism or anything else.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Was the bolded part above actually in the story, or did you add that? You didn't put it quotes, so I don't know.

The article currently says the following (which is correct), don't know if it was changed from an earlier version:

"There is no limit to how much currency travelers may carry into or out of the U.S. However, travelers are required by federal law to report amounts exceeding $10,000 or risk facing criminal charges and having their currency seized.

Both groups had reported in writing that they were carrying less than $10,000."

As an aside issue, out of curiosity, does the $10K reporting limit apply per person or per group/family? e.g., if a couple had $9K each, would they be exempt, or does the reporting limit apply since they're traveling together?
Per household/family/group, de facto if they want to claim the split was unlawful structuring. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...3D/suggested/1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.