Wiki Posts
Search

Tough security at gate for UA flight IAH-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Per household/family/group, de facto if they want to claim the split was unlawful structuring. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...3D/suggested/1
+1 - Money laundering is not a place where you want to try semantics. Maybe you get cleared, maybe you don't. The penalties are criminal and civil.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Not that I ever have that much cash on me when leaving the U.S., but where is one informed of the requirement to report anything in excess of $10,000? I've never had to put anything in writing, or even fill out a form to leave.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Not that I ever have that much cash on me when leaving the U.S., but where is one informed of the requirement to report anything in excess of $10,000? I've never had to put anything in writing, or even fill out a form to leave.
As a general rule, ignorance of the law is not an excuse for violating it. You can find information about the reporting requirement, as well as how to comply with it, on the CBP Web site.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
not this time. A two-fer!!

Customs Agents At Dulles Seize $37,000 In Cash.

WRC-TV Washington (1/16, Cho, 613K) reports US Customs and Border Protection officers on Thursday “seized about $37,000 of unreported currency from two separate groups of passengers at Dulles International Airport.” The first group were two men from Beijing with $22,238 and the other group a Northern Virginia couple had $15,215 “concealed on their bodies and in a purse.” The story says both groups had submitted a written statement that they were carrying less that $10,000 in cash, the legal limit to take out of the country on an international flight.
I conceal cash on my body all the time, as I suspect most of you do as well.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by mikew99
As a general rule, ignorance of the law is not an excuse for violating it. You can find information about the reporting requirement, as well as how to comply with it, on the CBP Web site.
I get that, but you can't make zero effort to make the public aware of the law and then expect that they report cash in excess of $10,000. If I've legally earned that money and paid taxes on it why would I suspect there would be anything wrong with leaving the country carrying it?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I get that, but you can't make zero effort to make the public aware of the law and then expect that they report cash in excess of $10,000. If I've legally earned that money and paid taxes on it why would I suspect there would be anything wrong with leaving the country carrying it?
Exactly...which is why the asset forfeiture and money laundering laws need to be done away with. It's MY money, and it's nobody's business where I'm taking it or what I'm doing with it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Was the bolded part above actually in the story, or did you add that? You didn't put it quotes, so I don't know.

The article currently says the following (which is correct), don't know if it was changed from an earlier version:

"There is no limit to how much currency travelers may carry into or out of the U.S. However, travelers are required by federal law to report amounts exceeding $10,000 or risk facing criminal charges and having their currency seized.

Both groups had reported in writing that they were carrying less than $10,000."

As an aside issue, out of curiosity, does the $10K reporting limit apply per person or per group/family? e.g., if a couple had $9K each, would they be exempt, or does the reporting limit apply since they're traveling together?
That's a good question, Agent 86. Would you believe that what I posted was actually the synopsis provided by our subscription news clipping service of the original story?

Disappointingly, our clipping service cant even summarize the story correctly, even as brief as this one was, which included correct information (as noted above).

Here is the complete story published by WRC-TV:
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...288873051.html

-----------------------------------------------------
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers seized about $37,000 of unreported currency from two separate groups of passengers at Dulles International Airport on Thursday.

The first group, two men arriving from Beijing, was found to be carrying $22,238 in two envelopes and a wallet, according to a statement by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol.

The second group, a Northern Virginia couple headed for an international flight, had stacks of money -- $15,215 in all -- concealed on their bodies and in a purse, the statement said.

There is no limit to how much currency travelers may carry into or out of the U.S. However, travelers are required by federal law to report amounts exceeding $10,000 or risk facing criminal charges and having their currency seized.

Both groups had reported in writing that they were carrying less than $10,000.

After having their currency seized, the four travelers were allowed to continue their trips and were not criminally charged.

Wayne Biondi, CBP Area Port Director for the Port of Washington Dulles, said that U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers “presented these travelers multiple opportunities to report all of the currency they had in their possession.”

“It’s the law. Hopefully, this is a lesson to all travelers that the easiest way to hold on to their currency is to truthfully report it to a CBP officer,” he said.

Last edited by Section 107; Jan 21, 2015 at 3:52 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:06 pm

He's from Norway, he needs a bit of a primer on airport Security Theater
in the USA. Basically, they are there to scare you, not keep you safe.
The more they can scare you, the more they can convince you that
you need to rely on the almighty State for security. That's why people in charge are scaring/intimidating you (as you describe) rather than comforting you, or making you feel safe, as they should be doing.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
That's a good question, Agent 86. Would you believe that what I posted was actually the synopsis provided by our subscription news clipping service of the original story?
I find that very hard to believe.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I get that, but you can't make zero effort to make the public aware of the law and then expect that they report cash in excess of $10,000.
According to the story, "Both groups had reported in writing that they were carrying less than $10,000," so they were aware of the law.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
... Though it was that specific TSA officer..(saw it on the shirt), that was shouting out what needed to be done.
TV, many people have called TSOs completely incompetent. To be entirely fair to those TSOs, however, they almost always exceed expectations when it comes to shouting at their customers, particularly if you don't speak English or look like you can be intimidated.

Mike
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
According to the story, "Both groups had reported in writing that they were carrying less than $10,000," so they were aware of the law.
Both as a "group", or each as an "individual"?

The fact is that people are more likely to assume it's ten thousand dollars or so per person than per group. And if these persons deprived of their legally-gained money are all English as a second language types, then it's even easier to get confused by CBP/ICE representstions.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
OP - Almost certainly wasn't TSA, but CBP.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Conduct enough fishing expeditions and law enforcement gets lucky. Most of these gate area CBP fishing expeditions for undeclared cash exceeding $10k catch nothing.
Yup. I've been subject to a few of these, both by US and Canadian authorities. They never hauled anyone off. Did have some CBP thug with a Napoleon complex rifle through my stuff, despite knowing that I didn't have that kind of money on me (shoot, at that time, I didn't even have that kind of money in my bank account).
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Another $14,000 taken at Dulles

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/art...nal_airport543

This lady filled out a form saying how much she had (she under-reported), they questioned her about her declaration and she chose not to amend it. Then, when a search revealed she under-reported, she was given another opportunity to amend her declaration but she still refused to amend it. That's when it got confiscated as it was willful under-reporting.

People, please, if it isn't ill-booten-gotty then properly declare, or at least take the opportunity to amend your declaration when your misunderstanding of the rules (aka "lie") is found out so you don't become unnecessarily deprived of your money.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:13 am

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/art...nal_airport543

This lady filled out a form saying how much she had (she under-reported), they questioned her about her declaration and she chose not to amend it. Then, when a search revealed she under-reported, she was given another opportunity to amend her declaration but she still refused to amend it. That's when it got confiscated as it was willful under-reporting.

People, please, if it isn't ill-booten-gotty then properly declare, or at least take the opportunity to amend your declaration when your misunderstanding of the rules (aka "lie") is found out so you don't become unnecessarily deprived of your money.
Did TSA give any consideration to the fact that the people were Chinese and maybe did not understand the questions completly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.