Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How secure is luggage going under plane on puddle jumpers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I often take flights in the midwest that are on relatively small aircraft. (United Express to Ohare, US Airways express to DCA, etc)

Some of these flights, there's not much overhead space so people are asked to put their larger carryons below the plane for free.

How safe is this? I have a DSLR that doesn't fit in my backpack but fits comfortably in my larger carry on. The case locks, but it's a "TSA approved" (AKA backdoored) combo lock.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have not had any problems with gate checked bags on AA/American Eagle getting damaged ( items being stolen) but I have not put a DSLR or any valuables in it ( the potential for being damaged and stolen as well as the risk that insurance will not pay out for it).

I have a Nikon D5000 DSLR and have a small camera bag ( enough fro the DSLR, 2 small lenses and other stuff) and I take this out of my standard carry on and take it onboard the ERJ/CRJs with me and have been able to put it in the overhead or under the seat in front of me.

If you have more lenses or larger lenses then this will be more of an issue.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Just put a regular (good) lock on your carry-on.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:12 pm

Luggage security in the belly of a regional flight? No different than that on a mainline flight. Same baggage handlers. And I haven't heard of any significant differences in baggage falling out of different aircraft. It might even be safe on regional which tend to have fewer cargo hold fires.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I would feel more comfortable gate checking a valuable. The bag is out of your sight for less time and compared to checked baggage isn't as accessible to as many people such as the TSA and other passengers.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I watched bags being unloaded from a UA Express and one of the valet checked bags bounced from the baggage compartment door to the tarmac. I wouldn't put anything valuable in a valet checked bag. I have a rolling camera bag that fits under the seat on the puddle jumpers. One of the seats on the two seat side. It won't fit under the seat on the side with only one seat.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The valuable I was worried about was my DSLR. I'll either fit my camera into my backpack or just leave it at home. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Luggage security in the belly of a regional flight? No different than that on a mainline flight.... It might even be safe on regional which tend to have fewer cargo hold fires.
How often do mainline flights have cargo hold fires?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewp123
I always assumed most loss was due to theft, loss of the tags, or dropping from a great height then throwing in the dustbin and walking away whistling
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA expressly excludes valuables from coverage in checked luggage (checked = checked, so counter vs. gate doesn't matter). If you regularly fly aircraft where you will gate check, I would separate out the valuables and keep them with me.

I don't think that there is any greater risk. You have no idea what happens to counter-checked bags bouncing off the conveyor of non-containerized mainlines.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by drewp123
Not often, but it does happen:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4613943a&opt=7168

As larger aircraft carry more cargo they naturally have a greater chance of fire. Particularly if the cargo is hazardous:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4307772e/0006&opt=7168

Still, most fire diversions turn out to be false alarms or simply smoke or other gasses (emitted often by animal and plant cargo).
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Are you talking about planeside bag check & claim (where you don't have to go to baggage claim)? That's much "safer" from a risk of theft than regular checked luggage given it's handled by fewer people and out of your possession a shorter time (and typically in sight the entire time it's in anyone else's possession, if you're seated on the correct side of the plane--the left for many regional a/c).

I still wouldn't want to give them something particularly fragile or valuable, and there's still the chance it could end up being sent to bag claim in some fairly rare cases, but overall, planeside "gate checks" are okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.