Wiki Posts
Search

OVERSTAYED in UK as a Student

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

OVERSTAYED in UK as a Student

Hi all,

I overstayed my UK student Visa for one year. i volunteerly left the country[UK] when I leave one of the officers wrote down a reference number on the visa and filled out a form and handed over to me but there was no ban . Since then i have several questions such as
1. If i apply for a New Zealand visa will this affect my travel.
2. How can i clear this off my record and how long do they keep the records ?
3. what if I apply with a new passport?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
These are questions you should probably ask at your local UK Embassy or Consulate.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:27 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I agree with the first response. However, I would say that #3 would not help at all, because almost all consulates ask a question like "Have you ever been denied a visa or overstayed on a visa?" You would then have to lie on your application, which would likely lead to a ban should it be uncovered.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Welcome to FT!

Although there are folks here who may have some experience and/or references to point you to, be aware that FT isn't a visa and immigration expertise forum. You'd be best advised to direct your questions to the appropriate staff of the governments in question for an official response.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
The fact that you overstayed your UK visa will not look good if you ever applied to enter the UK again. Illegal immigration is a hot topic in the UK these days. Those who overstay make it harder for genuine visitors trying to get visas.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If being able to re-enter the UK easily is important--for example, if it's a requirement for a job--consult a good immigration attorney. Asking the consulate can call attention to your situation.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by modaya
Hi all,

I overstayed my UK student Visa for one year. i volunteerly left the country[UK] when I leave one of the officers wrote down a reference number on the visa and filled out a form and handed over to me but there was no ban . Since then i have several questions such as
1. If i apply for a New Zealand visa will this affect my travel.
2. How can i clear this off my record and how long do they keep the records ?
3. what if I apply with a new passport?

Thanks in advance.
I highly doubt that a UK overstay will have any bearing on a visa to New Zealand (unless you apply from the Uk while there illegally).

DanishFlyer
bruceba likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Applying for a NZ visa with a new passport may help. I can't see that hurting, but I could foresee circumstances where it could help.

With regard to applying for a UK visa, a new valid passport is highly unlikely to make a difference since the checks run for visa and other permit applicants are run based on the biodata information. That biodata information is presumably rather consistent across passports unless a name change took place; and even a change of name doesn't guarantee an old overstay won't be noticed.

What I am curious is about where and when the OP dealt with exit control on leaving the UK. The UK isn't generally known for having permanent staffed exit immigration control stations in the UK airports of exit.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 16, 2014 at 1:28 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by modaya
Hi all,

.....when I leave one of the officers wrote down a reference number on the visa and filled out a form and handed over to me but there was no ban . .....

Thanks in advance.
As there are no exit controls in the UK I am curious as to how this happened?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Maybe this happened prior to 2000. when there were exit controls?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

This has happened to me in 2013.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Airbridge
As there are no exit controls in the UK I am curious as to how this happened?
Rail or ferry perhaps? I've encountered border officers on both, albeit they seemed random.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:40 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Maybe this happened prior to 2000. when there were exit controls?
Or at the times when they do, such as three of my last five trips out of Heathrow in the last twelve months. Several were quite thorough with everyone just before they entered security.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Or at the times when they do, such as three of my last five trips out of Heathrow in the last twelve months. Several were quite thorough with everyone just before they entered security.
Heathrow Terminal 3 seems to get them more frequently than the rest of the LHR terminals, but it's after security when I've encountered it there.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The UKBF does very occasional departure checks at airports, normally at LHR T3 or T4. Most if not all other airports have some domestic departures so the UKBF would not be allowed to ask them for passports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.