Community
Wiki Posts
Search

emergency Exit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:13 am
Original Poster

emergency Exit

not sure if my question is posted in the right forum but since it concerns safety I am posting it here.

I recently flew with China southern airlines and noticed on 3 fligths that they did not seated any passenger nor staff at the emergency wing exits. I have never seen this on a European airline company.
Which made me wonder if it was obligatory or not on the european arlines to have somebody to sit at the emergency exit ?

Looking forward to a reaction

adnila
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
Originally Posted by adnila
Which made me wonder if it was obligatory or not on the european arlines to have somebody to sit at the emergency exit ?
It's quite common here in Europe to see unmanned exit rows. Seems like no regulation forbids it.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've been told its actually safer to not have people in the exit row. You will find the same in the US where exit row is considered a premium seat and many times held for elite flyers or those willing to pay extra.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Some airlines would rather the FA deal with the emergency exit doors than the PAX. As such, the seats are the last ones filled.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:34 pm

I know Ryanair leaves the exit rows empty then moves people to them, one per exit row. Happened to me on my last Ryanair flight. Bugged me. While the space was nice, not being able to have my handbag under my seat was disconcerting and more than offset the niceness of the space.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
It sounds to be safer though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.