Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Any Country Besides the US Routinely Cross-Examine its Own Returning Citizens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

As has been written about here repeatedly, returning US citizens routinely get asked intrusive questions (with the least intrusive being how long have you been gone, where have you been?) at US passport control.

My experience as a dual US/EU national is that when entering the EU with my EU passport I am never asked anything other than an occasional "how are you"?

So, my question - is the US unique in routinely asking it's own citizens questions at passport control? When I say "passport control", I would also include customs in other countries, as in the US the passport guy seems to also perform a customs function and steer people to secondary.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:56 pm

Secondary has nothing to do with Customs And no they are not.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I believe that the guy at passport control can send you to an "enhanced" customs inspection, whether that is termed secondary at the airport, I don't know.

I know at the land border with Mexico the guy in the booth can direct you to the area marked "secondary inspection" to have them tear apart your car.

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Secondary has nothing to do with Customs And no they are not.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It's not unique to the USA. Canada can be the same. Here are some of the questions I've encountered, not all at once though:

Where are you coming from? How long where you away? What places did you visit? What are you bringing back? What is the value of your purchases? Do you have any food items? Do you have alcohol or tobacco? What was the purpose of your visit? What business are you in? What company do you work for? Do you have any firearms? Who did you meet with while you were away and why? Are you bringing back more than $10,000 in currency?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Well, despite Canadians trying to show how different they are than Americans, the reality is that they are more like Americans than any other country. I suppose this is another example.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's not unique to the USA. Canada can be the same. Here are some of the questions I've encountered, not all at once though:

Where are you coming from? How long where you away? What places did you visit? What are you bringing back? What is the value of your purchases? Do you have any food items? Do you have alcohol or tobacco? What was the purpose of your visit? What business are you in? What company do you work for? Do you have any firearms? Who did you meet with while you were away and why? Are you bringing back more than $10,000 in currency?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Well, despite Canadians trying to show how different they are than Americans, the reality is that they are more like Americans than any other country. I suppose this is another example.
There's no doubt Canadians are more like Americans than any other country. But it's the Americans who are typically ignorant about the differences that the Canadians know all too well.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
As has been written about here repeatedly, returning US citizens routinely get asked intrusive questions (with the least intrusive being how long have you been gone, where have you been?) at US passport control.

My experience as a dual US/EU national is that when entering the EU with my EU passport I am never asked anything other than an occasional "how are you"?

So, my question - is the US unique in routinely asking it's own citizens questions at passport control? When I say "passport control", I would also include customs in other countries, as in the US the passport guy seems to also perform a customs function and steer people to secondary.
The example you give doesn't seem at all intrusive.

In answer to your question, yes immigration & customs officers for most countries seem to ask questions of their citizens upon return.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have never been ask anything upon returning to the USA except have I been on a farm - that was back when hoof and mouth disease was an issue. In fact, with the passport express (not Global Entry) there are no questions.

So while it does get reported where citizens are questioned the overall number are probably very small compared to those who do not.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Even returning citizens need to be examined to be sure they are not attempting to violate customs regulations by bringing in restricted/prohibited items.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Well, many countries don't agree that returning citizens "need to be examined", or at least not all returning citizens need to be asked questions.

In the EU, at least in my experience, returning citizens are NOT asked questions at passport control. After claiming baggage, you then have the choice of the green or red customs channel. If you pick the green, you may be subject to a spot check, although in many entries I have never been selected for a spot check.

This means that if you use one of the automatic border gates e.g. at Heathrow or Schiphol (which you do not need to sign up for in advance), once you are cleared by the gate you do not need to speak to or hand anything to any official.

The only way you can get anything close to that hands off that treatment in the US is by using Global Entry.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Even returning citizens need to be examined to be sure they are not attempting to violate customs regulations by bringing in restricted/prohibited items.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
In the EU, at least in my experience, returning citizens are NOT asked questions at passport control. After claiming baggage, you then have the choice of the green or red customs channel. If you pick the green, you may be subject to a spot check, although in many entries I have never been selected for a spot check.
^ This is my experience in the EU even as a non-EU (Australian) citizen. The longest conversation I've ever had was the third trip to Switzerland in six months, where the immigration officer checked how long I planned to stay in order to ensure that I wasn't exceeding 90 days. Usually it's "hello" "thank you" and "goodbye" - and that's all coming from me - followed by the green door.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
The big difference between Canada and US customs is that the US are looking for Drugs / Weapons / Terrorists and the Canadians are looking for anything they can tax.

I was asked a few questions when I moved to Australia (landed with 3 huge duffle bags). The customs agent took my card/passport: "Why are you here? How long are you staying? What are you studying in school? Any work boots with dirt on them?" She then stamped my customs card right there at the carousel and that was my entry to the country. I am still amazed by the friendly agent and the not-being-treated-like-a-criminal-just-for-flying atmosphere their customs officers exhibited.

Last edited by DirtyDan; Nov 12, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
The big difference between Canada and US customs is that the US are looking for Drugs / Weapons / Terrorists and the Canadians are looking for anything they can tax.
Ha-ha, very true, especially for land border crossings However, I would say that it is the CBSA that is looking for weapons, the CBP--not so much (although they routinely asked about weapons). As for drugs, the situation might soon reverse because marijuana is being legalised here at the speed of light, and it was the main drug that was smuggled from Canada. Now, I won't be surprised if it is being smuggled from WA to BC
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I don't recall being asked anythign particularly invasive, or even anything more than 1-2 questions, sometimes no questions at all. I did get the one guy who (before I had GE) pointed out that I had forgotten to sign/date my blue slip and that it was a $50 fine. I had a moment of panic before I realized he was joking. Ended up have a laugh about it and asked if he ever had anyone actually try to pay him (yes, he did, and no, he didn't take it - "too many cameras" *wink*)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Dual US/EU citizen here, so a good bit of experience. I think the key difference in my experience is that the EU only asks questions past immigration and in customs, and mainly about what you're carrying.

When I come back into the US, I'm asked at immigration about my actions, what I've done, where I've gone, why I've gone where I've gone, who I went with, who I met, what address I'm going to in the US, etc. And if I deign to get smart with them, that's a 30 minute tear apart of my bags/more thorough interview of my "actions."

EU? Show immigration officer my passport. Receive either pleasantries or a nod and am sent through. I might be stopped going through the green lane and asked to open my bag, but this happens maybe 1 in 50 trips. The end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.