Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Any Country Besides the US Routinely Cross-Examine its Own Returning Citizens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Country Besides the US Routinely Cross-Examine its Own Returning Citizens?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I think it's all a YMMV situation. I have rarely been asked in the USA questions; I have been asked nothing in Israel; I've been asked many things in South Africa - and I'm sure others have different experiences.

I've also been asked a lot in BRU sometimes as a visitor, and otherwise nothing.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Dual US/EU citizen here, so a good bit of experience. I think the key difference in my experience is that the EU only asks questions past immigration and in customs, and mainly about what you're carrying.

When I come back into the US, I'm asked at immigration about my actions, what I've done, where I've gone, why I've gone where I've gone, who I went with, who I met, what address I'm going to in the US, etc. And if I deign to get smart with them, that's a 30 minute tear apart of my bags/more thorough interview of my "actions."

EU? Show immigration officer my passport. Receive either pleasantries or a nod and am sent through. I might be stopped going through the green lane and asked to open my bag, but this happens maybe 1 in 50 trips. The end.
I've never had questions like that. Questions always have been customs-related. I've been annoyed with one official who had a hard time believing I wasn't bringing home any electronics from China. If I hadn't been so tired at the time I would have asked him if he meant the "120gb" flash drives I was seeing all over the place. (There never has been a 120gb flash drive. They were obviously fakes even if you didn't look at the price.)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
It's 50/50 for me, either the CBP officer doesn't say a word and I'm through no problem, or they they start asking questions about things. Solo male traveler, early 30s. It seems once they start asking questions they either can't grasp why I took the trip I took, or they take my generic and non-informative answers as being evasive.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
This bugs me too. I'm a dual UK/US citizen. I'm routinely asked where I've been and why on entry to the US, which quite frankly should be none of their business. On all of my hundreds of entries to the UK I've never been asked a thing. Which one is meant to be the land of the free? (I can never remember).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by User Name
This bugs me too. I'm a dual UK/US citizen. I'm routinely asked where I've been and why on entry to the US, which quite frankly should be none of their business. On all of my hundreds of entries to the UK I've never been asked a thing. Which one is meant to be the land of the free? (I can never remember).
Many times, their questions aren't for your answer but to see how you answer. It is their business if you're bringing something illegal into the country.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:12 am

I am never asked where I have been but most always asked
why I am returning which on the surface seems a rather silly
question when I am passport holder for the country I am entering.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Many times, their questions aren't for your answer but to see how you answer. It is their business if you're bringing something illegal into the country.
It's their business, which is why they have the right to search you.

If all US citizens refused to answer the corss-examination questions, then they would be forced to change their tactics and just choose people randomly or based on appearance for searches.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Paul56
I've been asked what my citizenship is while they're holding my US passport.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul56
That seems really strange! I've never heard that before, in any country, in either direction. Do different agents ask you, or is it always the same officer

Originally Posted by jphripjah
It's their business, which is why they have the right to search you.

If all US citizens refused to answer the corss-examination questions, then they would be forced to change their tactics and just choose people randomly or based on appearance for searches.
Agreed, and I much prefer this system - through granted I don't wait on line in the USA or Israel (kiosks in both places), so it rarely happens that I meet a live officer when returning as a citizen (I don't go to South Africa at all).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
But as I'm not its none of their business. If they think I'm bringing something illegal in then search me (and presumably everyone else, and then see where that gets them). Otherwise just stamp my passport and wave me through.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by User Name
But as I'm not its none of their business. If they think I'm bringing something illegal in then search me (and presumably everyone else, and then see where that gets them). Otherwise just stamp my passport and wave me through.
You say you're not bringing in anything illegal. And if everyone in the world was auto-programmed to only ever say the truth, then they could simply ask: "Do you have anything on you that's illegal OR anything on you that should be reported?" And that would be it.
As I'm sure you recognize, the world doesn't work like that.

And if they were to strip-search you instead of just asking a question, I don't think you'd like that too much either...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They are not allowed to strip search travelers unless they have a real suspicion that the traveler is carrying contraband on his/her body, supported by articulable facts.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

My point in starting this thread was to find out what various countries are doing.

Undoubtedly routinely questioning returning citizens as the US does might lead to more customs seizures. However, at least in the EU the powers that be have struck a different balance and determined that returning citizens are not routinely questioned, and the questioning is done on a spot check basis leaving the customs hall, and occurs infrequently. The result is that the lines are generally much shorter than at US ports of entry, and returning citizens do not feel harassed.

There have been a number of occasions where I have arrived at EU airports on intra-Schengen flights and there has been no one at the customs desk - even though checked luggage from outside the EU is arriving on the flight.

You say you're not bringing in anything illegal. And if everyone in the world was auto-programmed to only ever say the truth, then they could simply ask: "Do you have anything on you that's illegal OR anything on you that should be reported?" And that would be it.
As I'm sure you recognize, the world doesn't work like that.

And if they were to strip-search you instead of just asking a question, I don't think you'd like that too much either...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
My point in starting this thread was to find out what various countries are doing.

Undoubtedly routinely questioning returning citizens as the US does might lead to more customs seizures. However, at least in the EU the powers that be have struck a different balance and determined that returning citizens are not routinely questioned, and the questioning is done on a spot check basis leaving the customs hall, and occurs infrequently. The result is that the lines are generally much shorter than at US ports of entry, and returning citizens do not feel harassed.
I do not feel harassed when entering the USA (granted I have Global Entry, but even before, I didn't feel harassed).

In Europe, some airports also process less travelers. When arriving at LHR, I frequently find massive lines. ORY as well.

There have been a number of occasions where I have arrived at EU airports on intra-Schengen flights and there has been no one at the customs desk - even though checked luggage from outside the EU is arriving on the flight.
Presumably, because you cleared customs earlier. The fact that bags are there isn't an issue - they were likely scanned anyways. If there had been a problem, you would've dealt with it at port of entry.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes at AMS or LHR in the EU citizen line. The wait time has particularly decreased at LHR since they put in the automated border gates - which are open to all EU citizens with no pre-registration, and where there is no necessity to speak with an immigration officer or hand it a piece of paper after passing through the gate. I have spent much longer than that at US POEs before I got Global Entry.

I have had to wait ridiculous times at CDG even in the EU citizen lines - of note, in France the automatic border gates are only available with prior application.

You are simply incorrect re the luggage. Checked luggage for passengers coming into Schengen clears customs at the destination airport. That's why they frequently have a separate channel at intra-Schengen customs, which everyone ignores in any event. I don't know what you mean by "scanned", there is no scan for customs that I am aware of.

I do not feel harassed when entering the USA (granted I have Global Entry, but even before, I didn't feel harassed).

In Europe, some airports also process less travelers. When arriving at LHR, I frequently find massive lines. ORY as well.

Presumably, because you cleared customs earlier. The fact that bags are there isn't an issue - they were likely scanned anyways. If there had been a problem, you would've dealt with it at port of entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.