Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

student at Monmouth University needs your help with Privacy Policies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

student at Monmouth University needs your help with Privacy Policies

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Post student at Monmouth University needs your help with Privacy Policies

Hello Flyertalk,

I am a student at Monmouth University in an ethics class working with a 2-man team in the UK to distinguish the differences between the US and UK and also to create a Privacy Policy for an Airline website.

To the generosity of Krystal at Southwest Airlines, I have found out about this forum.

I have researched a handful of the major airlines here in the United States, studying their Privacy Policies. I have found that all of them are nearly identical. They all include what types of information they gather, the technologies they use which can identify you, how to remove gathered information from children under 13 years of age, etc.

My question to you guys, is what underlying laws, policies, procedures of which we students are struggling to find, make all of these major airlines have the same privacy policies?

I have with no success found anything on the FAA's website, nor found any relatable government website to show perhaps some laws or rules in which information can be handed over or used in perhaps ways that would not be satisfactory to those who value their privacy.

If anybody has anything related to privacy that might help, please reply. No matter how insignificant you might think it is, outside of admiration for flying I have no good understanding, and my team desperately needs some material to advance with.

----------------
Kind Regards,

Peter Camamis (Team U.S.)
Monmouth University
[email protected]
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Welcome to Flyertalk, peterMU.

Privacy policies are generally considered company policies rather than a matter of Congressional purview. It is up to each airline to set a policy, which you should be able to find at each airline's website. Why they are nearly identical in nature may be due to the fact that they were are all reviewed by lawyers who get pretty much the same basic training no matter where they attend law school but also because data collection practices tend to be similar across industries, not just within certain sectors.

W/r/t data collection on minors under 13 there is a specific law addressing that, but as I'm mobile at the moment I can't look that up for you. I'm sure others will be along shortly to help you out.

essxjay, TS/S moderator

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 29, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by essxjay
I'm sure others will be along shortly to help you out.

essxjay, TS/S moderator
Thanks, I look forward to it.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Most of the information gathered is required under various laws and government policies - look up, let's see...

COPA - Children's Online Privacy Act
SecureFlight
TSA

If you do some research you will learn about the flap several years ago where European airlines balked at sending passenger data (UK/EU privacy laws are VERY different) and came close to having flights turned away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.