Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Chicago Police To Begin Random Explosives Screenings At CTA Stations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Police To Begin Random Explosives Screenings At CTA Stations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
As a former leo I could say something, but I'm just going to let you win since you know it all. Good day.
As a former army officer who has run checkpoints looking for weapons and explosives (among other things) in places like Bosnia and East Timor, I'd be fascinated if you said something because IMO it's all for show.

Screen people entering the L? If I were a Bad Guy (tm) I'd simply use a different entrance or just wire the L supports on some of the parts that are actually elevated in a couple of different places to bring down trains that way.

It's all for show.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
I can just see them setting up shop on the red line after a Cubs game.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mialink
I can just see them setting up shop on the red line after a Cubs game.
TeeHee. They'll all be drunk. Hope the cops are issued puke guards.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
As a former leo I could say something, but I'm just going to let you win since you know it all. Good day.
As, apparently, do you.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:03 pm

Unfortunately, the mayor of Chicago is defending the bag check: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...027-story.html

Fortunately, the Chicago Tribune agreed that this is a waste: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...024-story.html

Apparently, this is from a Federal grant.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by guflyer
It seems as though this terrible idea just came from nowhere. Does anyone have any idea why they decided to do this now?
Bureaucrat #1: "Hey, we've got a few extra bucks in the budget this year. What should we do with it?"

Bureaucrat #2: "Well, why don't we just give it back?"

Bureaucrat #1: "Screw that! Then they'll take the money out of our future budgets, as well. I know, let's go with that whole 'abundance of caution' thing and set up screeners somewhere. Not only can we blame the terrorists but, after we can show that our program stopped terrorists, they'll have to give us more money next year!"

Bureaucrat #1 is promoted later that afternoon.

Mike
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Kudos to the CPD/CTA for starting this program!

Hopefully this will roll out to more cities in the future, and they'll be able to do a reasonable amount of screening without major delays.
No. I wore my country's uniform for 26 years to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Anyone who conducts a warrantless search of any U.S. citizen or properly-admitted visitor is, pure & simply, a domestic enemy.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
As an American who has read and understands the Bill of Rights, I'll say something.

I don't know it all, but I know this: Random, causeless searches are wrong. They are blatantly un-Constitutional and are a slap in the face to every American who has ever worked, fought, bled, or died to protect our country and the rights and freedoms it cherishes.

No matter the threat, no matter the risk, no matter the justification, random causeless searches are nothing but a tool of fascism, dictatorship, and repression. They are a disgrace, a despicable and egregious violation of one of the most important and treasured rights that make us who we are as Americans.

You can bring up all sorts of maybe-might-could-suppose arguments about terrorists, drug dealers, or Russian spies carrying snukes, but not one of them justifies such a violation of the Constitutionally-protected rights of random, innocent people.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:43 am
YKF

It appears NWO is moving along swiftly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.