Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Fox Reporter on TSA Watch list for Istanbul flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Stephen Hayes, a Fox and Weekly Standard reporter reports that he was put on the Terror Watch list because he flew into Istanbul and exited through Athens (for a cruise with his wife).

I'm doing a Delta RTW that includes an open leg between Istanbul and Paris and now I'm a bit worried I could be caught in the same situation. I do plan to fly out of Istanbul but on a separate ticket.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

(I put a link up there but I don't see it in my post; there is an article on politico that should be easy to search for with his name.....)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The blacklisting does frequently take place as a result of such trips but it also tends to drop off over time for any such hit individual.

This topic already has been discussed here -- at least in one of the blacklist threads.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 1, 2014 at 9:38 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what stories this reporter has done, but, there have been mysterious cases of a CNN reporter and a print reporter who wrote articles or did stories critical of the TSA. Lo & behold, the first time they flew after doing their stories, they found themselves on a List. The CNN guy was Drew Griffin.

A House representative said Thursday she is requesting an investigation after learning a CNN reporter was put on the federal no-fly list shortly after his investigation of the Transportation Security Administration.

Griffin learned in May [2008]he was on the list, about two months after he reported on the federal air marshals program.
Of course, this was during the Bush/Skeletor years and can't possibly happen today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.