Extension Cord in Carry-on Suitcase

Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
MNL confiscated my extension cord once. Their rationale was that "wire" was not allowed. I briefly considered making a fuss on the basis that it wasn't any different than the cord on my laptop charger, that was apparently perfectly OK, but then contemplated that mounting such a defense in MNL might backfire and result in the confiscation of my laptop charger cord as well. So I let it go since the extension cord was a $2 Walmart 4' household extension cord and thus trivial to replace, whereas finding and purchasing a new laptop charger cord seemed likely to be more of a hassle and a more immediate problem.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'm not surprised. An extension cord could be used to tie people up.
Yeah, but the TSA shouldn't have a problem with it if you can remember the safe word.

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
Yeah, but the TSA shouldn't have a problem with it if you can remember the safe word.

Mike
Somehow I don't think the TSA would understand what a safe word is.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:59 am
YKF

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Somehow I don't think the TSA would understand what a safe word is.
...or what true safety is
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
In Bahrain flying back to US, there was a security check at the gate (as there are for almost all US-bound flights). They went through my bag and almost confiscated my Ethernet Cord, asking me if it was longer than 2m. They almost took it, but I think they changed their mind when I gave them an utter look of confusion at the absurdity of the question and allegation that I could use my Ethernet cord to cause havoc on the plane.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp1264
In Bahrain flying back to US, there was a security check at the gate (as there are for almost all US-bound flights). They went through my bag and almost confiscated my Ethernet Cord, asking me if it was longer than 2m. They almost took it, but I think they changed their mind when I gave them an utter look of confusion at the absurdity of the question and allegation that I could use my Ethernet cord to cause havoc on the plane.
I guess I must be a terrorist then.

There's a 50' ethernet cord in my bag.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I had a 5m Ethernet cable confiscated from me at DXB security. The reason I was given by the lady was that "I could tie someone up with it". I was going to make a comment that my two fists were quite a bit more deadly, but refrained.

It must be a cultural thing in the Middle East, being sexually repressed and all.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL SM, CX GREEN
2 extension cords (6 ft length) not allowed through MNL airport, but the 14 other wires I have were fine.
1 laptop charger
7 usb connectors
2 iphone chargers
3 headphone wires
1 usb charger wall plugin (basically exactly the same as an extension cord)

This doesn't make sense to me, I asked to see the documentation, and listed right next to a saw, hammer, drill, and drill bits is extension cord. Not allowed in carry on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.