Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One person at a time only?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

One person at a time only?

I just got a nasty look from a TSA agent when I accompanied my husband to the id check station, I was ordered to get back in the line. Since when?

I asked how this worked for families with children and was told that one parent and one child can go at a time. Well I guess it's good that parents don't travel with more than one child each, huh?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I've gone through with my wife and two kids simultaneously, pretty much every time we travel together. Never a problem. As usual, it depends on who's manning the desk...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Feorlen
I just got a nasty look from a TSA agent when I accompanied my husband to the id check station, I was ordered to get back in the line. Since when?

I asked how this worked for families with children and was told that one parent and one child can go at a time. Well I guess it's good that parents don't travel with more than one child each, huh?
You clearly got an agent with an inferiority complex who likes to exercise the minimal power he has whenever possible.

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rule in theory is that each adult is dealt with one-at-a-time. Kids go with a parent, largely because they don't have/need ID.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've seen a lot of couples go up together - sans kids - and have never seen the ID checker tell one of them to get back in line.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:29 pm
YKF

What a joke. He gets paid to look at pieces of ID all day must be a sad life trying to bring others down
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I guess that they want people separate so they can compare stories if they had to. If people were entering a country on a so called holiday but were planning to work and the agent could ask the other adult.

I used to always go up with my husband, now they are very strict and we just go one at a time. I was just at Singapore Airport and the roving agent guy asked a family with 6 kids, or rather told them that each parent was to take 3 kids each in 2 groups.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I was thinking about immigration. What is the ID check station you are talking about? Must be a US thing?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:39 pm

Yes, the OP clearly said TSA. Not Immigration and Customs.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
Yes, the OP clearly said TSA. Not Immigration and Customs.
Where Mrs Flies and I have always gone up to the passport control booth together in the U.S. And overseas.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Yes, it was TSA not passport control, at SFO T3 Precheck. We always stay together in line and I've never had an issue with TSA. (Once in a great while some passport control officer makes us process separately, but mostly not.)

We last traveled together a month ago, at the same airport and at the same TSA checkpoint. As you might imagine, I'm no fan of "rules" that appear and disappear out of nowhere.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Where Mrs Flies and I have always gone up to the passport control booth together in the U.S. And overseas.
Aren't families supposed to go through Immigration and Customs together, since there's a single declaration form? At least, entering the US and Canada.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
I've seen a lot of couples go up together - sans kids - and have never seen the ID checker tell one of them to get back in line.
Likewise. We always go together, nobody has ever objected.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I was thinking about immigration. What is the ID check station you are talking about? Must be a US thing?
Where are you that you can get on a plane without them checking your ID vs boarding pass?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
OP is talking about TSA/PreCheck

I have to say, SFO is my home airport and i have NEVER seen TSA let a couple through together for ID check.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Where are you that you can get on a plane without them checking your ID vs boarding pass?
It is called most of the civilized world outside of the USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.