Wiki Posts
Search

What gives with TSA lock

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

What gives with TSA lock

I gotten there flimsy locks...
I use a pelican case (very durable and nice) locked by 4 TSA approved locks and 6 latches to keep the lid shut. They keep cutting the locks and leaving only front two latches down.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tmdrake
I gotten there flimsy locks...
I use a pelican case (very durable and nice) locked by 4 TSA approved locks and 6 latches to keep the lid shut. They keep cutting the locks and leaving only front two latches down.
Some people report the locks disappear all the time and others, myself included, have used them without issue. I fly frequently and have locks that are originals from when they went with TSA locks and maybe have lost two for whatever reason over time. I have no misgivings about the security they offer or don't offer, quite frankly I use them most to keep zippers from opening during travel. Somebody wants to get into luggage isn't going to give a lock a second thought. Could use zip ties just as well but I have quite a collection of TSA locks so that's what I use.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Locking a checked bag for security reasons is folly.

At the speed with which TSA is screening checked luggage, don't expect an Officer to rummage for a key. Easier to cut the lock.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Often1

At the speed with which TSA is screening checked luggage, don't expect an Officer to rummage for a key. Easier to cut the lock.
Have to say while I've lost maybe one or two locks over the years I've never had a lock gone when I also had a TSA note in a bag. Now granted that doesn't mean that every time TSA opens a bag that they put their inspection note in the bag. Also doesn't mean that some baggage handler didn't cut a lock off but I've also not had anything stolen either.....I put pretty much nothing but clothing in my checked bags. Lots of other options like I failed to lock it or it got destroyed since the newer ones are basically plastic.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

But the whole point of the TSA locks is that they aren't supposed to be cut off, because the TSA has the keys.

Might as well say, "Oops, the TSA is in a hurry, so they just had to take a knife and slit your suitcase open rather than bother with unzipping it."
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: TSA
Some of those locks are not very well made and our key wont open them
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta, United
File a claim with TSA for the locks.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/claim-forms
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you're allowed to answer is each TSO doing checked baggage checks given these keys or is there maybe a limited amount based upon the size of the facility? It is more out of personal curiosity but could explain why some people experience more cut locks going through certain areas.

Originally Posted by eyecue
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
Then perhaps the TSA needs to review and improve the process by which it works with companies to develop approved locks?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by FXWizard
Then perhaps the TSA needs to review and improve the process by which it works with companies to develop approved locks?
Guess they've have to speak Chinese......at least a number I have are stamped "Made in China"
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:22 am

I pretty much assume I'm going to lose locks on my Pelican cases. I have plastered skateboarding stickers all over them and this seems to reduce TSA opening, but I swear baggage handlers take them as a challenge. If I pack anything X-ray interesting inside, they are sure to be opened however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.