Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago OHare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I'm still in shock over the terrible experience I had using Mobile Passport at EWR on July 15. While the immigration queue for Mobile Passport users was short and fairly easy to find, customs was another story. We headed downstairs and were stunned to find the customs queue snaking entirely around the luggage carousels. There was no signage indicating a separate line for Mobile Passport users.

Worst of all though, the CBP personnel were inexplicably hostile to travelers, shouting in English at several families who clearly did not understand them and had done nothing wrong. When I went to ask one agent where Mobile Passport users should line up, he screamed "The end of the line is OVER THERE!" as several other passengers stood nearby, stunned.

And then to add insult to injury, once we made it through the queue, only one of the CBP agents was set up to accept mobile receipts, forcing several of us to queue up yet again. In total, clearing customs took nearly half an hour -- this after we'd already been admitted by immigration.

It really was like being in a developing country.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
In total, clearing customs took nearly half an hour -- this after we'd already been admitted by immigration.
Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience. I am curious about the thinking behind your statement quoted above; do you believe customs enforcement is supposed to take less time because the passenger has cleared passport control (immigration)?

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 18, 2016 at 10:22 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience. I am curious about the thinking behind your statement quoted above; do you believe customs enforcement is supposed to take less time because the passenger has cleared passport control (immigration)?
Not sure I follow your question. Everyone waiting at customs has by default already cleared passport control/immigration.

But if you're asking whether customs enforcement should be quicker for MPC users just as immigration is, then yes. If you'll read through the thread, you'll see that at most if not all other airports where MPC has been adopted, there is a separate MPC line for customs just as there is for immigration. That's not (yet) the case at EWR, though.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Not sure I follow your question. Everyone waiting at customs has by default already cleared passport control/immigration.

But if you're asking whether customs enforcement should be quicker for MPC users just as immigration is, then yes. If you'll read through the thread, you'll see that at most if not all other airports where MPC has been adopted, there is a separate MPC line for customs just as there is for immigration. That's not (yet) the case at EWR, though.
I read your statement to imply you feel the wait to clear customs took inordinately long even though you had already cleared immigration. Put another way, clearing customs should not have taken 30 minutes because you had already cleared immigration.

But maybe what you meant is that it took 30 minutes in addition to the wait to clear immigration.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:37 pm

Well it's nice that some airports do have MPC queues, is there really a reason that MPC users should be given preferential treatment just because they decided to fill out their declaration on their phone instead of paper or APC?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Well it's nice that some airports do have MPC queues, is there really a reason that MPC users should be given preferential treatment just because they decided to fill out their declaration on their phone instead of paper or APC?
While those on FT don't appear to agree with me, it would seem that CBP is listening: I got a nice note of apology back after leaving my experience as feedback via the app. Apparently EWR is lagging in terms of adding dedicated queues for MPC users in customs, but the intent is for the experience to mirror other airports soon.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iamflyer
Yes there really is a reason why MPC should have a separate line, whether or not someone considers it "preferential".

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA
I'm flying into JFK tomorrow. Anyone know if MPC is worth it there? Do they have a separate customs line yet?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lumpyseat
I'm flying into JFK tomorrow. Anyone know if MPC is worth it there? Do they have a separate customs line yet?
Yes, it's worth it.

At BOS, ORD and JFK this month for my travel parties, MPC has been nearly as fast, as fast as, or faster than GE. But I still find GE has an edge over MPC overall.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, it's worth it.

At BOS, ORD and JFK this month for my travel parties, MPC has been nearly as fast, as fast as, or faster than GE. But I still find GE has an edge over MPC overall.
Thanks, I think it did save some time at JFK today. They need to improve the signage at T7 though. We had trouble figuring out which lane we should be in (it's the diplomatic/APEC lane). Also, only one officer working there, and we were stuck behind another passenger who took a while to screen.

Aside from that, it was a time saver and you do get to use the GE line at customs.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I was going to get Global Entry, but keep putting it off. Often I am traveling with others, so that kind of defeats the purpose. My last trip was kind of last minute, so I didn't have time. I signed up for Mobile Passport, and I was in for a pleasant surprise. I thought it just helped you through Immigration, but it got me front of the line for Customs to.
This was in Orlando. The Mobile Passport sign for Immigration seemed to be hidden. Apparently it was a the front of the line, same line for GE, I think. I was directed to that line by another person working the lines. When I got there, I went behind the people already waiting for the immigration counter. However, apparently the couple were "normal" status, and the officer told me to go ahead of them because I had mobile passport. So, I was first at the baggage carousel. (BA flight from LGW-MCO). Of course, the BA agent in LCA (Cyprus) did not put a priority tag on my bag, so it was quite a wait. However, after getting my bag, I spotted a Mobile Passport sign (also next to a GE sign) and NOBODY was there. This was, by far, my best experience ever entering the US.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I was going to get Global Entry, but keep putting it off. Often I am traveling with others, so that kind of defeats the purpose. My last trip was kind of last minute, so I didn't have time. I signed up for Mobile Passport, and I was in for a pleasant surprise. I thought it just helped you through Immigration, but it got me front of the line for Customs to.
This was in Orlando. The Mobile Passport sign for Immigration seemed to be hidden. Apparently it was a the front of the line, same line for GE, I think. I was directed to that line by another person working the lines. When I got there, I went behind the people already waiting for the immigration counter. However, apparently the couple were "normal" status, and the officer told me to go ahead of them because I had mobile passport. So, I was first at the baggage carousel. (BA flight from LGW-MCO). Of course, the BA agent in LCA (Cyprus) did not put a priority tag on my bag, so it was quite a wait. However, after getting my bag, I spotted a Mobile Passport sign (also next to a GE sign) and NOBODY was there. This was, by far, my best experience ever entering the US.
MPC gets special customs line at most -- or maybe even now all -- airports with MPC. They need MPC receipt scanning devices for the passport control and for the customs functions, so the scanners for the phones' MPC receipts most commonly mean that the regular customs line is not the one used by MPC users.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:31 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MPC and families

It looks like our next entry into the US will be through a MPC airport--how does it handle family groups?

And will it actually do us any good as there's a 100% chance that I will be answering yes to the food question?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is MPC?

It might help to say what passports you'll be using. Also, what does family include? Just spouse and kids under some young age or adult children, extended family? USA permanent residents?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Mobile Passport Control.

As to "food" it all depends what you mean. If it is "food" which you are 100% certain will not kick up a fuss, go ahead and use it as you may not be diverted to Ag at some FIS (you haven't told us your POE) if your initial answer is something simple such as a pack of crackers. Also depending on specific layout, cutting off the line through the immigration aspect may well speed your processing time even if you are send to an Ag secondary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.