Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
For the last two times Mia and ORD when I scan the barcode it said invalid flight date, has anyone had that problem? I submitted my information about 3 hours before landing and there was still time on the receipt.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chgodude
For the last two times Mia and ORD when I scan the barcode it said invalid flight date, has anyone had that problem? I submitted my information about 3 hours before landing and there was still time on the receipt.
You may have to gimmick around with your phone's time zone settings, but not sure that is generally helpful with the MPC app. There are various apps or operating systems with glitch timing that seem to be off enough to cause problems.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
I guess next time I will wait till I arrive at the destination to submit the information.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You may have to gimmick around with your phone's time zone settings, but not sure that is generally helpful with the MPC app. There are various apps or operating systems with glitch timing that seem to be off enough to cause problems.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

DFW and FLL are also on board with MPC.

Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Marriott
Thumbs up Speed through U.S. immigration and customs with Mobile Passport on IOS or Android

This is not available at all airports yet. Check out all the details first: http://mobilepassport.us/

From the FAQ -- this app is official!

Mobile Passport Control enables travelers to submit their passport and customs declaration information via their smartphone instead of the traditional paper form. The “Mobile Passport” app is free to download and free to use. The app is sponsored by the Airports Council International-North America and authorized by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Here's our experience:

This is my first post, and I hope members find it useful.

My family and I just returned from Vietnam last week. Just before heading to the airport, a friend we were traveling with told me about the Mobile Passport app. He hadn't used it yet, but since we were connecting through DFW (the app's newest airport), he suggested we give it a try.

This app seemed too good to be true. And our experience using it was way better than any of us expected.

Get the app
On IOS, I found the app by doing a search in the store using the term "mobile pass".

One family member can use the app for multiple family members
Yes, one traveler in a family can submit for immigration and customs clearance on behalf of the family traveling together. Meaning, you don't need both parents to install it, nor do your children need to install it.

If you are in a group traveling together that is not family, presumably each of you must use the app independently.)

After you've installed it
Once you install it on your phone, you create an account and 4-digit password (easy). I was doing this while waiting for a taxi -- it's really easy.

Next, get your family's passports in hand because you're going to need them. Basically you'll be entering the essential information from each traveler's passport into the app -- like the passport number, date of birth, etc.

Each traveler will then need to take a "selfie" for his/her mobile passport. (You can take the photo for the traveler.) As a result, each family member has a "passport" on the app.

Once you've landed in the U.S.
The app's FAQ recommends you wait until you've landed in the US and connected to wifi to confirm and submit your mobile form.

That's because you'll get mobile "receipts" or QR codes that are only good for four hours. Given it took us about 90 minutes just to get our suitcases at DFW before lining up for immigration, I think waiting to send the confirmation when you land is a good idea so you don't risk the receipts expiring, depending on what might be going on with your connection.

You just need to answer four simple and super-familiar questions on behalf of your family regarding:

1. Transporting commercial merchandise/currency equal or greater than $10K US.
2. Articles to declare in excess of duty-free exemption
3. Fruits, vegetables, plants, etc.
4. Close to or handling livestock

Confirm answers to questions, get mobile receipts, done!

Can you save these mobile receipts to use offline? Not that I'm aware of -- I wouldn't risk it.

Ready to do this? Look for the "Mobile Passport" lines. They're much shorter!

And remember, keep your real passports handy. You'll still need them.

For the immigration part of it, all I had to do is show that the three of us had traveler profiles on my app. Swipe and show each family member's photo. Nobody scanned anything or took a close look. Nobody looked at our real passports. We just walked right ahead to customs. It was so easy, it was confusing.

For the customs part of the experience, the officer asked for our real passports, and then scanned each QR code from the app, matching the mobile info to the actual passport. Then waved us through. No questions about what was in our luggage. Just a friendly goodbye. Seriously.

Lastly...

Not all airports are yet equipped to handle mobile passports; check the website for the latest. Also, given it's pretty new, your experience will likely vary from airport to airport depending on how much experience and/or technology they've installed to manage these apps.

I presume it was easy for us because once we uploaded our passport details they were able to connect with the immigration and naturalization database for US citizens and verify a bunch of details, including facial recognition, etc. We had it really easy, and don't have a record of any problems entering the U.S. If you have had challenges in the past, using this app may not preclude you from a more thorough screening.

Good luck!
hossra likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
nepdx, welcome to FlyerTalk.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing discussion of the Mobile Passport app.

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by nepdx
Given it took us about 90 minutes just to get our suitcases at DFW before lining up for immigration,
Wait, you got your luggage BEFORE immigration? I don't believe I've ever come through DFW international arrivals, but that's different than every other airport I've encountered...
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Marriott
Yes, in DFW it was a bit confusing b/c there was a line that combined GE with MobilePass (which could imply you needed both) and then later, separate lines for each.

Exactly! A free app that makes life more convenient tied to a government institution... who'd have thought?

Hmmm, I don't think MobilePass is clunky on the iPhone. Very non-government and as slick as I'd expect from a commercial app.

Here is the link to the app in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobi...4887?ls=1&mt=8

Yes, we got our luggage first, and then went through immigration. That was the same experience I had returning from Tel Aviv (in Seattle).

Thanks! I presumed there was one -- couldn't find it.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 5, 2016 at 8:43 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:40 pm

I just used the Mobile passport app at SFO. Worked like a charm. No line open until I showed someone the app and they opened a line. I went right through.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Had it at EWR this week. JFK is also now listed.

Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:39 pm

Is there any reason someone with Global Entry should bother with this app?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KRSW
Is there any reason someone with Global Entry should bother with this app?
I have Global Entry but I use MPC app rather routinely; and I use MPC more so when I've got at travel party where not all members of the travel party have GE.

There are also times when I've seen a line for GE machines but no line to use MPC designated line, and I got out faster with MPC use than I would have with GE kiosk use.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:23 pm

I have read/seen that this is going to replace the normal passports. does that mean that I have to get a mobile phone for just this? I dont have one. Never had a need for one. If this is has to be done will airport help me?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanja
I have read/seen that this is going to replace the normal passports. does that mean that I have to get a mobile phone for just this? I dont have one. Never had a need for one. If this is has to be done will airport help me?
This isn't going to replace passports and it's not going to be required -- at least not for the decided future -- for US entries.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This isn't going to replace passports and it's not going to be required -- at least not for the decided future -- for US entries.
Thank you . I got really worried there. Cause Sweden is thinking to replace passports with this also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.