Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency drinks for diabetic on long-haul

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Emergency drinks for diabetic on long-haul

My wife and i are getting ready to fly to the United Kingdom, to live.

I myself am a type 1 diabetic, whose blood sugar has to be monitored a lot throughout the day, as it can drop drastically without too much warning. Would i be able to take a high sugar energy drink on board with me? Would i have to get a certified signed medical letter from my doctor explaining this to allow me to take the drink on board with me?

Thank you.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:52 pm Reason: Content modified to reflect thread split
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:44 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Not sure what airport you are departing from or connecting through. You will probably be able to buy a sugared drink or bottle of juice after clearing security in most airports during most of the day and into the evenings. If you will tell us what the airports are, I am sure someone here can give you first hand knowledge of what to expect in that regard.

If you are talking about something like Glucerna, that should qualify under the liquid medicine rules and pass through security just fine. A note from the doctor might be good to have just in case, though.

I have family members with type 2 diabetes and a friend with type 1. They always carry some hard candy just in case, but I suspect you already knew that trick. You can always stuff a few fiber bars in your laptop case. I do that myself most of the time. If I am entering a country with strict contols on what kind of food can be imported, i just throw them away before I clear immigration.

It sounds like you are relatively new to long haul flights. My friend with type 1 has traveled the world for business for decades (ex-US to China, mostly) without any issues.

One thing I would suggest is that you contact your meter manufacturer and ask about the accuracy of readings in the pressurized cabin. There may not be any adverse effects of the pressure, but you will feel better being told that in advance. Ditto for an insulin pump if you have one. Probably not going to be an issue, but you will feel better talking to someone who knows your equipment before you leave. They might also be able to give you some practical suggestions.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that some airports do security checks at the gate, which means that you normally cannot board with liquids purchased in the airport.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that some airports do security checks at the gate, which means that you normally cannot board with liquids purchased in the airport.
Thanks for the clarification. I learn something new everyday.

Perhaps the OP will return and let us know what airports he is flying out of and through.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Well firstly, many thanks to everyone who has responded to my thread.

We plan to travel via Washington Dulles to Manchester UK. I want to travel non-stop.

Concerning my sugared drink, it would be imperative to have one with me. My sugar levels can drop so low, that candy may not work in time. I have been diabetic for over 40 years, and those sensations of knowing a seizure is happening, has dissipated. Any further thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:53 pm Reason: Edited to reflect thread split
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by 466SHH
Thanks for the clarification. I learn something new everyday.

Perhaps the OP will return and let us know what airports he is flying out of and through.
I've typically only seen this on return flights TO the US not from the US - and only from South America and Asia. Returning from the UK, while there may be random checks of bags at the gate if flying on a US carrier, I've never seen them confiscate bottled drinks purchased after security.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:06 am

If you are flying out of the US, the TSA has published information about traveling with diabetic supplies. You might want to google that and print out some of the information to take with you for your own peace of mind. Example: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ngers-diabetes
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
I've typically only seen this on return flights TO the US not from the US - and only from South America and Asia. Returning from the UK, while there may be random checks of bags at the gate if flying on a US carrier, I've never seen them confiscate bottled drinks purchased after security.
AMS and their security right at the gate is a culprit- even sealed duty-free booze is iffy about getting onto the plane.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wrp96
I've seen it recently at EZE, AMS, HKG, SIN, PVG, and CDG among others. The odds are against you anytime there is a security check near the gate or a second check at the gate. OTOH, when it's just a second check at the gate, they might not check every passenger or they might not check very thoroughly but YMMV. If the item is needed due to health concerns or for emergency use, the passenger cannot take this risk.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:38 am
iff

Originally Posted by Christopher Forrest
I myself am a type 1 diabetic, whose blood sugar has to be monitored a lot throughout the day, as it can drop drastically without too much warning. Would i be able to take a high sugar energy drink on board with me?
Perhaps it would be easier to travel with quick-dissolving glucose tablets. No worries about them going through security, they're small, and you can easily carry a quantity sufficient to cover any potential delays or other travel issues. You may want to check with your doctor to see if that's an option for you.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:44 am

If a long haul flight serves breakfast in FC or business, I think it's safe to assume that there is orange juice on board. I can't imagine that FAs would deny this to a passenger who needs it to prevent a medical emergency.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by iff
Perhaps it would be easier to travel with quick-dissolving glucose tablets. No worries about them going through security, they're small, and you can easily carry a quantity sufficient to cover any potential delays or other travel issues. You may want to check with your doctor to see if that's an option for you.
That's what I carry with me all the time.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:51 pm

[redacted]

with medical documentation, tsa allows wide latitude,

contact the airline and ask for special services relating to travelling with disabilities.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:55 pm Reason: not appropriate for flame free forum
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by overdahill
contact the airline and ask for special services relating to travelling with disabilities.
Great idea. So good I wish I'd thought of it. ^
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
If the drink is just a commercial energy drink TSA may reject it. Glucose tablets are a better option.

OP if you are truly unable to detect hypoglycemia and experience debilitating drops so severe that candy will not suffice then ask your physician for a glucagon kit. That is a prescription injectable used to manage critical hypoglycemia

You should also confer with your physician about insulin dosage during the timezone transition. If you are having difficulty managing blood sugars then the time change will make that even more difficult as you will be eating at the wrong times for your insulin.

insulin pumps and blood sugar meters are fine on an aircraft and are not affected by TSA equipment.

if available for you, you might also look into continuous glucose monitors. The key benefit of such is the ability to alarm you when low blood sugars are imminent or when you are trending down and to suspend dosage in such events.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 14, 2014 at 11:56 pm Reason: removed pre-split title

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.