Contact Lens Solution in Checked Luggage

Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:49 am
Original Poster

checking in contact lens solution

Hi I will be away for four months and I am planning to check in 5 vail pairs of contact lens and 2 big bottles of contact lens solution, in the hold baggage that is all checked in. I will be flying to london then to cambridge UK, will I experience any problems through the scanning? Also, is there a restriction to other toietries checked in? Thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You should not have any issues with the contact lens solution in your checked luggage.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you sure you're flying from London (LHR?????) to Cambridge?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure you're flying from London (LHR?????) to Cambridge?
Singapore to London then train to Cambridge..I read else where that checked in liquids may not pass scanners is it through?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:21 am

I'm not sure what you mean by 'vail pairs' of contact lenses.

Also note that many types of contact lens solution are relatively universal, and can be purchased at the destination. If you list the brand/type, someone can advise you if it can be easily purchased in the UK.

But checking TWO bottles of solution in your CHECKED luggage is absolutely no issue at all, nor am I sure why it would be an issue?

Are you planning on taking a travel size in your carry on luggage? If so, LHR does not permit sizes larger than 100ml in carry on luggage (unlike in the US where it falls under the medical exemption). But that is only an issue on your homeward journey, and if you post your brand, we can help you to find a 100ml bottle in the UK of your particular brand (or a viable substitute)
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Oh so its okay to post 2x360ml solutions into check in? That would be fine just that I want to use up my existing solution
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:05 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I wouldn't put any contact lenses in my checked luggage. Solution is easy to replace, lenses are not.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
In the US, yes. You just have to declare it when you get to the screening.

See this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-solution.html

and this one if you use the Clear brand which they may or may not let through

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...on-banned.html
But OP is talking about taking the fluid in his checked bag, not his carry on.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:10 pm

Anything over 100ml IS a problem at LHR; they do confiscate contact lens solution larger than 100ml in carry on luggage as it does not fall into the medical exemption category there.

I don't see where OP is flying from the US.

From what I understand, OP is flying SIN-LHR, taking a train, and possibly LHR-SIN again.

If he does decide to take it in carry on, then the rules in SIN and LHR apply, and the rule at LHR is no contact lens fluid if larger than 100ml in hand luggage (ie carry on)
Old Nov 1, 2011, 4:10 am
Original Poster

huh? I am confused, so can I check in into hold baggage the 2x360ml contact lens solution? checked into hold baggage not carry on...will I be able to clear customs?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by nightshadow1
huh? I am confused, so can I check in into hold baggage the 2x360ml contact lens solution? checked into hold baggage not carry on...will I be able to clear customs?
Yes, you are absolutely fine to take that in your checked luggage both to and from the UK. You will have no issue with customs in the UK (which is generally self-declaration at LHR ie you take the green exit if you have nothing to declare)

I'm sorry if you were confused. There was discussion here about carry on luggage, and someone posted about the rules in the US, which don't apply to you as I don't think that you are transiting via the US.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Skywards
Contact Lens Solution in Checked Luggage

Hi all,

I'm off to the US from the UK in a fortnight and have a question regarding my contact lenses. I am planning to take a bottle of solution in my checked luggage which is fine but my contacts are non-disposable and I am planning to put them in my checked luggage in a case with solution and store that carefully. I dont necessarily need the lenses on board therefore I'm checking them in. Is that allowed? "Taking contact lenses in a case with adequate solution and putting them in my checked luggage." I understand all about lost baggage.. Etc, but that isn't an issue.

Many thanks
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:33 pm

Contact lenses question! Urgent!

Every time I travel I keep my contacts in the case and bring solution with me in my carry on, but I have bad vision so I can't put them in jeopardy. I don't see why there would be a problem with your contact stuff in checked luggage at all.

I just put my contact stuff in my toiletry baggie and then have no problems going through security.

Edit* the solution I bring is travel size
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yarora
Hi all,

I'm off to the US from the UK in a fortnight and have a question regarding my contact lenses. I am planning to take a bottle of solution in my checked luggage which is fine but my contacts are non-disposable and I am planning to put them in my checked luggage in a case with solution and store that carefully. I dont necessarily need the lenses on board therefore I'm checking them in. Is that allowed? "Taking contact lenses in a case with adequate solution and putting them in my checked luggage." I understand all about lost.. Etc, but that isn't an issue.

Many thanks
There's no limit to the amount of liquid you can put in your checked luggage.

I am moving the thread to the Practical Travel Safety Issues forum.

NewbieRunner
co-mod, CommunityBuzz
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
As long as they are checked, should be fine.

Heck, I have daily disposables and on a weeklong trip, that's a lot of contacts floating in solution - that I never check nor do I put them in my liquids baggie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.