Wiki Posts
Search

Dual UK/Australia passport issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Dual UK/Australia passport issue

Hello!
Right,so I know there is plenty of information on this topic, but I must admit I am struggling to get my head around it, as when I read websites/forums on dual passports and how to use them, different examples are used, conversations become complicated etc...
SO I thought I would try get a direct answer related to my specific problem, here, so hope you will help me!

I hold a UK and Australian passport, and am travelling for the first time from the UK to Australia next week, with Singapore airlines, and the stopover is in Singapore for 10 hours.

If I have it right-
I show my Australian passport at the check-in desk in the UK where I get my boarding ticket/drop bags off

I show my UK passport at all other times in the UK airport at all security check points(?)

I do not know what to do when I reach Singapore!..? What if I want to leave the airport?

Then when I arrive in Australia I use the Australian passport from then on

So is this right? Can anyone help me with the points I dont know about?

Would be very grateful for any help!

Would you also advise against being blasé with the fact I have two passports, or do security/airlines not mind

Thanks,
Beth.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Hi, bkeeley, and welcome to Flyertalk!

As far as I know (and from own experience), the usual way is to use the corresponding country's passport to enter/exit that country. At the check-in counter - anywhere - you would show the passport that allows you hassle-free entry on the destination country. In a layover I would use the one allowing hassle-free entry as well - if both of your passports provide this, just toss a coin

There's no need for anyone else to know that you hold two passports, unless they ask. At least that's how I handle that myself.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by FlyingCow
Hi, bkeeley, and welcome to Flyertalk!

As far as I know (and from own experience), the usual way is to use the corresponding country's passport to enter/exit that country. At the check-in counter - anywhere - you would show the passport that allows you hassle-free entry on the destination country. In a layover I would use the one allowing hassle-free entry as well - if both of your passports provide this, just toss a coin

There's no need for anyone else to know that you hold two passports, unless they ask. At least that's how I handle that myself.
What he/she said, though some posters will tell you should check in and depart on the UK passport from the UK, as typically you always leave/enter a country on their passport should you hold one. But I regularly disregard this out of the US, mainly because I don't care.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Take your pick at SIN. In general, I follow the plan: If entering a country you have a passport for, use that one. Exit on whichever you like. Other countries, pick the best one if there's a difference in visa status, otherwise flip a coin (or preserve pages and pick the least used one to balance out visa stamps!)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I have dual US/Australian citizenship and agree with what everyone above has said.

In relation to your final question:
Originally Posted by bkeeley
Would you also advise against being blasé with the fact I have two passports, or do security/airlines not mind
In your case (and mine) there's no need to be secretive or nervous about having two passports.* At check-in, in particular, you need the Aussie one to show you can enter Australia but the UK one may be listed against your reservation so you may need to show both. Both mine are blue so I have to get them out to see which one is which.

* It's not universally true that all dual citizens can always be open about their dual status. Some countries don't allow their citizens to take a 2nd citizenship; while it may be possible for citizens of those countries to do so, it's not advisable to let the first country know about it. For some combination of A, B and C, dual citizens of countries A and B may find that in country C it's best not to admit to being a citizen of B.

But the UK and Australia are, of course, on good terms and there's no need to be careful. Singapore (from personal experience) won't care that you have dual citizenship either.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by bkeeley
I show my UK passport at all other times in the UK airport at all security check points(?)
The only times you would normally show your passport when leaving the UK are at check-in and at the gate. You don't show your passport at Security. There are no routine outbound border controls (though there are occasional spot checks, especially at LHR)
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
What he/she said, though some posters will tell you should check in and depart on the UK passport from the UK, as typically you always leave/enter a country on their passport should you hold one. But I regularly disregard this out of the US, mainly because I don't care.
It is right that you should leave/enter a country on the same passport, but I think what sometimes happens is people confuse "leaving" a country on a passport with checking in to the flight. These are not the same thing (except in the US which has no exit immigration.)

As previous posters have said, checking into your flight means showing the passport you will use at your destination--and that has to be your Australian passport. If you checked in with your UK the airline would be looking for an Australian visa in it.

Leaving a country "on a passport" means showing an exit immigration officer your passport--the one you showed to an IO on entering that country. If as Aviatrix said you run into a spot check by UK border control, then show your UK passport, the one you are "in" the UK on. Otherwise, forget about your UK passport until you check in for your return flight.

Singapore does have formal border controls at both entry and exit. As others have said, you can show whichever passport you like at SIN. Just whichever one you pick to enter on, use the same one to exit.

It took me quite a while to get used to this process myself! :-)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:39 am

As a dual citizen of the UK as well myself, I can tell you that there is no need to show your UK passport to enter the UK; you may use your Australian one if you wish (if its faster sometimes or if you want to collect stamps).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by candyann
If you checked in with your UK the airline would be looking for an Australian visa in it.
There is no Australian visa in the UK passport - it is electronic nowadays.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by jms_uk
There is no Australian visa in the UK passport - it is electronic nowadays.
But the airline can still look for it (electronically), no?

For UK/AU dual citizens, there is no need to have a UK passport at all if just visiting the UK.

If you don't have a return flight within 6 months, or intending to work in the UK, etc., then you will need to prove that you can do this at check-in in Australia / passport check at the stopover (e.g. HKG gate agents seem to think their job involves enforcing the world's immigration laws, which is not completely unreasonable).

Documents that could be used are a UK passport (for ease of passing through UK immigration), a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode in the UK affixed inside the Australian passport, a British naturalisation certificate, etc.

AFAIK, the UK does not care whether your API matches up with the documents you use to enter, so you could still just check-in with an Aussie passport but then use a UK one to enter. And airlines do not check whether one is in the UK legally at check-in, though (as alluded to by the post I am replying to) I have known people checking-in in Australia with their foreign passport to be hassled to present their Australian passport, which they need to have in order to exit Australia)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:23 am

Passport Issue at Check In

Recently had issue at check in whilst flying to Uk for holiday. We're dual nationals Oz and British. Showed Uk passport at checkin and Aus passport at Australian border contral at exit in Melbourne (well that was the plan!). Checkin asked if Australian and demanded Australian passport for scaning in combination with UK passport. Somewhat made to feel we had done wrong. Don't usually travel with two passports. Does this mean we now have to? Also if only Australian passport they can stay in UK for 3 months so what is the problem? Not planning on keeping two sets of passports going for a family of five!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
<redacted by moderator>

There are two things going on in these situations; one is passport control and the other is the airline following a countries requirements to assist in passport control.

Most countries have rules stating a citizen must (although there may be exceptions) use that country's passport to enter/exit. Airlines are frequently required to assist in enforcing that rule (as seems to be what happened to you).

Airlines are also required to verify that a passenger has the proper travel documents and eligibility (visa, etc.) to enter the intended country before departing or face very expensive fines and the cost of transporting the passenger back to origin. Which is why they also requested to see your UK passport.

The airline does not care how you actually handle passport control; they only care that they comply with regulations so as to avoid fines and complications when doing business with the respective country.

Always nice to have the options that having multiple passports bring so I would keep them for all family members. You might consider synchronizing renewal dates so they all expire at the same time to help make the logistical / administrative burden easier.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 7, 2016 at 8:57 am Reason: Redact quote of deleted post and response
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by ozni
Recently had issue at check in whilst flying to Uk for holiday. We're dual nationals Oz and British. Showed Uk passport at checkin and Aus passport at Australian border contral at exit in Melbourne (well that was the plan!). Checkin asked if Australian and demanded Australian passport for scaning in combination with UK passport. Somewhat made to feel we had done wrong. Don't usually travel with two passports. Does this mean we now have to? Also if only Australian passport they can stay in UK for 3 months so what is the problem? Not planning on keeping two sets of passports going for a family of five!
Don't understand your problem. Since you are departing Australia and returning to Australia, there is no need for anybody to know you are British.

You would be treated exactly the same as an Australian family, who are not British, going to the UK for holiday.

As you showed the British passports at check-in, they were wondering how you managed to enter Australia without a visa in the British passports.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by :D!
Don't understand your problem. Since you are departing Australia and returning to Australia, there is no need for anybody to know you are British.

You would be treated exactly the same as an Australian family, who are not British, going to the UK for holiday.

As you showed the British passports at check-in, they were wondering how you managed to enter Australia without a visa in the British passports.
Well, typically Aussies are not required to have a visa to enter the UK but some do require a visa; showing the airline a UK passport resolves the possibility of a required visa.

Typically airline agents have no obligation or responsibilities regarding someone's immigration status in the departure country - only ensuring the pax has the proper documentation showing eligibility to enter the destination country. It would be unusual for these agents to be concerned about whether or not there was a visa in the UK passport.

The OP should keep both passports. And when travelling between the two countries the OP should travel with both passports.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
The OP should keep both passports. And when travelling between the two countries the OP should travel with both passports.
Well, the UK permits its citizens to use other passports when entering the country; however, their length of stay will be limited as if they were the citizens of the other respective country. In this case, the [most recent] OP could travel on his Australian passport only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.