Search

Passport name mismatch on airline ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So not sure if this is the best place to post this, but my parents are going to Ireland in June, their first trip out of the country in 22 years. They got their passports, and just booked their tickets today, but an interesting issue came up. My dads legal first name is James, middle name Brian, but he always goes by Brian, its on his Delta acct, all his tickets in the past, his credit cards all say Brian, its what hes known as to the world. But on his passport he is listed as James Brian.

When booking his ticket he used miles from his acct, and his CC for the taxes, the system rejected his putting his FF# on the ticket as it thinks hes Brian, but the ticket says James Brian. Im worried however that there may be some flag in customs with the varying names on the credit card/ff acct name/ticketed passenger name/passport name....I'd rather they not have to get caught up in some snafu because of a simple name problem. Anyone know what they should expect with somethign like this?

Thanks guys!
US DHS generally does not care about such situations, and so I would suggest not worrying about it.

The biggest issue that comes up in such situations is getting the FF# to be recognized in the system and/or getting mileage credit for the flights, but that too can usually be resolved if finding cooperative airline employees. The airlines usually do not make stinks about such situations. [Some airlines may wish to see the credit card used, but that won't be an issue for them either if they have the credit card with them for their travel too.]

Sounds like a great trip for them, and nothing worth worrying about.

[I've travelled under such circumstances internationally -- including with DL -- thousands of times and have many more acquaintances who have done so too without issue.]
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:39 pm

name discrepancy on ticket versus passport

I booked an international flight on Expedia. If you have an Expedia account they automatically fill in your name info, so I didn't read the section about typing in your name exactly as it matches your passport (because Expedia already had filled it in, so I only glanced at it briefly). My middle initial was in the middle name box, but my passport has my full middle name. I've searched the forums and saw this issue mentioned a couple years ago, but couldn't find anything more recent. Does anyone know if it will be a problem at the airport.....? Also, my middle initial was added to my first name when I look at my booking on the airlines website (Juliem instead of Julie M). I'm completely stressed out because I've gotten different info from Expedia, and it seems as though it depends on who you talk too. Plus I'm flying on 4 different airlines (KLM, Delta, Air France, and Alitalia). They are all partner airlines although I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

No problem. Don't worry about it. An initial is considered a match for the full middle name, and it is standard practice for airlines to display your middle initial appended to your first name.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:43 am

My passport has my middle name. Sometimes my tickets have no middle name, sometimes an initial, sometimes full middle name in the wrong place. Never had any problem, anywhere.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:35 pm

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure if they were becoming more strict or not on this. I feel much better now
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Rainlvr
I booked an international flight on Expedia. If you have an Expedia account they automatically fill in your name info, so I didn't read the section about typing in your name exactly as it matches your passport (because Expedia already had filled it in, so I only glanced at it briefly). My middle initial was in the middle name box, but my passport has my full middle name. I've searched the forums and saw this issue mentioned a couple years ago, but couldn't find anything more recent. Does anyone know if it will be a problem at the airport.....? Also, my middle initial was added to my first name when I look at my booking on the airlines website (Juliem instead of Julie M). I'm completely stressed out because I've gotten different info from Expedia, and it seems as though it depends on who you talk too. Plus I'm flying on 4 different airlines (KLM, Delta, Air France, and Alitalia). They are all partner airlines although I don't know if that makes a difference.
Don't worry about it. This is quite ordinary situation for passengers of most international flights.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
My tickets often just have my middle initial and it makes no difference to the airline, TSA, CBP (at preclearance airports), or any other border control official at any other country.

My middle initial is often appended to my first name.

Also, my form of address "MR" is often appended to my first name. Which creates minor but non fatal confusion because as you might guess from my FT handle, M and R are the initials of my first two names.

It is never a problem. As GUWonder says it is ordinary and it also very common and consistent across airlines.

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:53 am
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:59 pm

Thanks SO much. I was panicking, so I really appreciate the reassurance!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Actually, according to government regulations, you aren't required to have documentation to fly. There's a few folks out there always flying without documentation just to prove the point. For instance, they'll stick their passport in checked baggage.

So whether or not your name matches your ticket, shouldn't be an issue.

You do need a passport to enter another country, and the airlines can refuse to ticket you for any reason including not showing ID. From a government perspective though, you should be fine.

There's plenty of threads on FT about this, including this one

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...d-tsa-sfo.html
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:02 pm

If my UK passport does not show my middle name, but it is indicated on my tickets, will this be a problem? Please help!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYatt Plat
I currently have an itinerary with tickets for myself and a friend. Instead of my name being saved as "Mr. First Middle Last" or "Mr. First M Last", it's saved as "Mr. FirstM Last". My friend, whose first name is Aleksandr, has his name listed as "Dr. Aleksan Last".

Airlines seem to make absolutely no attempt at trying to get names to appear correctly, and I've never once had a problem.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:47 am

Middle name on tickets but not on passport?

I booked tickets to Dubai and London via travelocity and included my Middle name because there was a box indicated for it. My UK passport only lists my First name and Last name. Wondering whether this will be a problem at all? Would appreciate insights from anyone who has had a similar experience.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Incredibly unlikely to be a problem. Nothing in life is 100% certain, but this is a 99.9% or better chance of being fine. Enjoy your trips.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly hope it's not because the last time I logged into the United Airlines website they had updated our names to be consistent with government data. I believe hers used to be <first name><first name><middle initial><last name> and it's now <first name><first name><last name> with no trace of her middle name. (Note: She has a two-word first name that routinely messes up US systems.)

I do not recall what mine was before but it's now <first name><middle name><last name>
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Quick advice needed on a similar problem:

My company purchased a ticket for me and used the shortened version of my first name, Will, rather than the full William and no middle.

Anyone have problems with this?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.