Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Australian Student J1 visa to the USA- re-enter USA question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QC Life, AA

My 20 year old son has been approved as an exchange student to LSA, Baton Rouge in a couple of months. He has no criminal record; received all the relevant documentation; attended the US Embassy in Sydney and was granted a J1 Student Visa.

That J1 visa ends on 31 December 2014, and he has a 30 day period after the end of his J1 Visa which takes him up to the end of January 2015. He intends travelling for a period after he finishes college, and therefore booked his return flights out of LAX in mid February.

My question is: after that 30 day grace period for his J1 Visa at the end of January, (and he is planning on travel south outside the US, Cancun etc, can he re-enter the USA under the Visa Waiver Program?

Alternatively, does he need to return to the US Embassy and apply for a further visa?

Mods please move to the appropriate threat if required.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:08 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If he overstays the visa by failing to depart before it expires then that may cause complications. I would recommend he either depart by the end of January or look into getting the visa extended.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
It's a tricky one. Here's information from the US Embassy in Canberra:

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/vwp/mexico_canada.html

J1 Visa Holders

If you have been in the United States on a J1 visa and wish to visit Canada or Mexico at the conclusion of your program, you may not be able to use the VWP to re-enter the United States. In this instance you may require a B1/B2 visa.
So it would be best to check with the US Embassy.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QC Life, AA
Thank you for your assistance.

I thought having a 'know all' 21 year old daughter was a problem, forgot about the 20 year old son.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:06 am

Check with the US Embassy as it is probably not possible to go into the country on the visa waiver program after an expired J1 visa. It is important not to overstay on any type of visa as this can affect your ability to reenter the country in the future. If in doubt, get professional help and don’t chance it as you wouldn’t want to cause problems for the sake of a couple of weeks in Cancun or Canada.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Short answer: No, he cannot. He must apply for a B1/B2 visa or go back to Australia before entering the US using VWP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.