Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Customs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:27 am
ksn
Original Poster

Canadian Customs

I’m bringing a pair of Google Glasses from the US to a friend in Canada at the end of the week and I was wondering what procedures I need to go through when I get to the airport? Will I have to pay a fee and how do I get through with the least hassle?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
From the CBSA site:

Gifts

You can import gifts for friends into Canada duty- and tax-free as long as each gift is valued at CAN$60 or less. If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, you will have to pay duty and taxes on the excess amount. You cannot claim alcoholic beverages, tobacco products or business-related material as gifts.
Declare them and be prepared to pay duty and taxes.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:11 pm
ksn
Original Poster

Should I bring a receipt or will they be going through all my stuff regardless?

I just don't want to get stuck in one of those situations where im in a long line or in an office to the side while everyone is going through customs.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bring the original receipt and any backup documentation. The more you have with you and ready to go, the less hassle.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Often1
Bring the original receipt and any backup documentation. The more you have with you and ready to go, the less hassle.
^

I don't think you said which airport, but the lines for "something to declare" don't seem to be that long at YVR. I think by going there proactively with your receipt in hand, the odds of getting a full search go way down. They'll take your payment and you'll be on your way.

Another tip for Canada customs: if you have a laptop you use for work in any way, mark "NO" to the question about commercial goods (second YES/NO question), but write laptop just below the NO. That way you are declaring that you have something related to your work, even if the trip is 100% personal and you aren't doing any work while there. This has worked quite well for me with dozens of NEXUS clearances.

I so rarely bring anything that isn't my own property. I haven't had to go to the something to declare line in a long time.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by makfan
Another tip for Canada customs: if you have a laptop you use for work in any way, mark "NO" to the question about commercial goods (second YES/NO question), but write laptop just below the NO.
NEXUS specifically excludes laptops from the commercial goods category (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...eng.html#a04_1) since doing otherwise would defeat the purpose of having NEXUS for the large majority of business travelers.

What is the purpose of writing "laptop"?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
cargo cult?
Old May 1, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by okazon69
NEXUS specifically excludes laptops from the commercial goods category (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...eng.html#a04_1) since doing otherwise would defeat the purpose of having NEXUS for the large majority of business travelers.

What is the purpose of writing "laptop"?
This is a holdover from back in the day, before the explicit exclusion of work laptops from commercial goods category.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
This is a holdover from back in the day, before the explicit exclusion of work laptops from commercial goods category.
Ah yes, I had CANPASS air before Nexus and that was when I started doing this.

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:43 pm

In my experience the way it works is you mark that you have something to declare on the form, the usual agent asks what it is or whatever and marks something on the slip. When you hand it in at Customs they'll see the mark and direct you to a room nearby. That's the same room where they go through your stuff but they'll probably just ask you what it was, look at the receipt, and take your money.

I don't think there will be duty, just GST and/or HST or PST. I'm not clear how this works since the provincial tax varies. It may be the case that you can save a significant amount of money by entering the country at an airport in a province with lower taxes (YYC?)
Old May 9, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I don't think there will be duty, just GST and/or HST or PST. I'm not clear how this works since the provincial tax varies. It may be the case that you can save a significant amount of money by entering the country at an airport in a province with lower taxes (YYC?)
As the OP has surely arrived by now this information won't help him/her much, but as a visitor to Canada (based upon the posting) he/she would only be paying the 5% GST on the value over $60 of each individual gift.

Non-residents are not subject to provincial taxes.
Old May 9, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Next time, you could print out this article and claim it's only worth $80

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/05/...dollars-or-80/
Old May 10, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I would just take them out of the box, put them in my bag and not worry about it. If you happen to leave them in Canada, no one will be the wiser.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by catocony
I would just take them out of the box, put them in my bag and not worry about it. If you happen to leave them in Canada, no one will be the wiser.
OP, nor anyone else for that matter, cares about what you would have done as it's illegal.

Stay classy like that.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Will do, and thanks for the kind remarks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.