Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyerhog
I just wonder how much US airlines lose in revenue because potential flyers skip the US completely on their itineraries due to this requirement.
I don't know how much money if any it is costing them. [The US airlines have gotten so many favors and waivers from the government that the market is increasingly best described as an oligopoly with cartel-like behavior and outcomes and this is in an environment of packed planes and fares that have risen substantially.] But US airline fares for travel from the EU to South America via the US are pretty cheap relative to more direct or relatively equal indirect routings for the travel O&D of interest to me.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
AFAIK Houston IAH was the first airport in "recent" times to have the new "One-stop" system. IIRC Chicago ORD has it now also but someone please confirm.
I really hope that I am wrong, and that someone corrects me, but I believe that ORD has OneStop only for carry on baggage, not checked baggage as in the OP.

The issue for me (as a German with GE) is the need to collect and recheck bags at ORD, and the time to travel to the connecting gate. I won't have to queue for hours at IAH immigration anymore, nor do I need to stop to collect and recheck a bag.

I've avoided the US altogether for Intl-Intl connections, except when I can connect via IAH. Not needing to collect and recheck bags can make a big difference in time, often adding at least 30 minutes or more.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by exbayern
I really hope that I am wrong, and that someone corrects me, but I believe that ORD has OneStop only for carry on baggage, not checked baggage as in the OP.

The issue for me (as a German with GE) is the need to collect and recheck bags at ORD, and the time to travel to the connecting gate. I won't have to queue for hours at IAH immigration anymore, nor do I need to stop to collect and recheck a bag.

I've avoided the US altogether for Intl-Intl connections, except when I can connect via IAH. Not needing to collect and recheck bags can make a big difference in time, often adding at least 30 minutes or more.
+1

This doesn't just affect international flyers connecting through the US. I avoid international>domestic connections on return flights that involved a checked bag for the same reason. You are generous with 30 minutes. I have waited >45 minutes in JFK and >60 minutes in LAX, and that was for priority-tagged bags. And MIA? Nothing like having the belts stopped for 30 minutes while CBP runs the dogs through and around.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:09 am

Even being one of the first off the plane, being an extremely fast walker, and having GE is pretty useless if one has to wait so long for a piece of luggage, and then often queue (as a 1K) to recheck the bag

But anything I can find re ORD says that it is not like IAH in this regard.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:34 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
A blurb in a recent APC press release at IAH notes this at the bottom:

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/3921678/0/83280/

The Houston Airport System and U.S. Customs and Border Protection have recently launched several different partnerships designed to expedite the arrivals process for international passengers. The City of Houston stands as one of the most active areas in the country in regards to participation in the Global Entry program. IAH is one of only two airports in the nation to offer expedited entry through a program called OneStop and Houston was the first city chosen to be a “Model Port of Entry.”
It does not get into specifics of what Chicago has but notes IAH and "another airport" (ord) are the only ones with One-stop.
I know IAH One-stop allows int'l-int'l connections on UA to skip the checked bag step and use the "back end" exit where you skip the customs exit line and can then enter the int'l only TSA line.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:52 pm

A blurb in a recent APC press release at IAH notes this at the bottom:

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/3921678/0/83280/

It does not get into specifics of what Chicago has but notes IAH and "another airport" (ord) are the only ones with One-stop.
I know IAH One-stop allows int'l-int'l connections on UA to skip the checked bag step and use the "back end" exit where you skip the customs exit line and can then enter the int'l only TSA line.
If a carry-on only pax hasn't entered the baggage claim area, why does he/she have to undergo TSA screening again? Because of possible airport purchases prior to their departure?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:11 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by chollie
If a carry-on only pax hasn't entered the baggage claim area, why does he/she have to undergo TSA screening again? Because of possible airport purchases prior to their departure?
I believe that is the rule at every US airport post CBP immigration screening and how they are designed these days "post 11 Sept".

I am not aware of any others that let carry-on only pax bypass the customs aspect of re-entry but I am sure some on here know better.

IMRE LHR does this also.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:18 pm

I believe that is the rule at every US airport post CBP immigration screening and how they are designed these days "post 11 Sept".

I am not aware of any others that let carry-on only pax bypass the customs aspect of re-entry but I am sure some on here know better.

IMRE LHR does this also.
In the past, TSOs have posted that the reason for being rescreened was because arriving pax had access to their checked bags and were in a position to retrieve items that aren't permitted in the sterile area (liquids >3.1 ounces, knives, etc.).

This is why some pax terminating in the US objected to being forced into rescreening to exit the airport because of the airport layout.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
In the past, TSOs have posted that the reason for being rescreened was because arriving pax had access to their checked bags and were in a position to retrieve items that aren't permitted in the sterile area (liquids >3.1 ounces, knives, etc.).

This is why some pax terminating in the US objected to being forced into rescreening to exit the airport because of the airport layout.
I don't disagree with you or the concept. I am sure TSA/DHS would say the origin airport "might have missed something" or other BS to justify it.

If one-stop or the GE carry on onlyexit at IAH could lead directly back into Terminal E that would be awesome and make IAH a more somewhat transit friendly airport again at least by US standards (Immigration notwithstanding) but I doubt that will happen anytime soon due to US airport design. The immigration aspect of the inbound checks will likely never go away at US airports. one-stop is most likely as close as we will get to "transit friendly" stateside. Just my 0.02$
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by chessman
Perhaps the flight was actually to MLH. In any case, the airport is physically located in France, which is part of the EU.
Right, we drove from Euroairport to Oberwil. They came pick me up at airport. This is where my brother lived. It is very near. It just only 10 minutes to get there.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
That is correct. Carry on only passengers can use 1Stop at ORD.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:58 pm

Got the same thing flying LIM-IAH-YVR. I had a green T sticker on my BP, didn't know what it meant. Waited at baggage carousel at IAH, baggage did not show up. Then someone saw my green T sticket and said - transiting? Baggage would go directly to your destination, no need to pick up.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by ords
That is correct. Carry on only passengers can use 1Stop at ORD.
So references to ORD are not germane to this thread, which is about checked luggage. Carry on luggage is not an issue.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
So this was a shocker for me.
Just flew from London to Brazil via Houston and didn't need to collect and re-check my luggage. At Heathrow I got a little sticker which had a green T on it which I had to show before Immigration in Houston. As it was new to me I didn't think much of it, but sure enough, once I came to the immigation lines there was a special lane for those with the big green T. This lane was so short and fast that it was great. Even the officer I met was a guy with a great sense of humor. 10 points to this ^

So may I ask, is this valid for all passengers transiting or just for those coming on certain routes?

(Please merge if a thread has the same info)

Do you physically walk through the baggage claim area, or bypass it completely? If the latter, are you still subject to TSA screening? (if the former, it would automatically be required)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Do you physically walk through the baggage claim area, or bypass it completely? If the latter, are you still subject to TSA screening? (if the former, it would automatically be required)
At IAH you physcially bypass the bag belts and the second customs line exit with one-stop, and GE carry on only.

TSA screening is still required to re-enter the terminal even with one-stop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.