Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Bringing Carry On Duty-Free Liquids with Connecting Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing Carry On Duty-Free Liquids with Connecting Flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:38 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
What about multiple security checks?

I'm flying LHR-MIA-SFO overnighting and then SFO-LAX-ORD
I know in MIA I would get it screened, but would I be able to take it thru security again the following morning?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by jason8612
What about multiple security checks?

I'm flying LHR-MIA-SFO overnighting and then SFO-LAX-ORD
I know in MIA I would get it screened, but would I be able to take it thru security again the following morning?
This shouldn't be a problem as long as you have not opened the tamper-resistant bad during your overnight stay. I've done this many times on international flights arriving in LAX, then an overnight stay, then a domestic flight home the next day on another airline, with no problems.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I was flying ZRH-IAD-SEA a few days ago - when buying my bottle of Kirsch in ZRH duty free I had an extremely difficult time convincing the cashier to put it in the tamper-proof bag (he kept trying to tell me I HAD to put it in my checked luggage when changing flights). Eventually he did do it (I wasn't going anywhere, and wouldn't have paid without the bag...).

No significant problems in IAD except for waiting: the tray with the bottle was pulled aside (I then had to wait about 5 minutes for a screener to pick that up), the bag was unsealed, bottle scanned in the special machine, bottle returned and tamper-proof bag sealed with TSA tape.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
If you are flying on separate tickets does it matter? Say if I buy something in Duty Free in MXP and fly to JFK in tamper proof bags. And then I have another connecting flight the same day that also leaves out of JFK, will it be okay?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by greycap7
If you are flying on separate tickets does it matter? Say if I buy something in Duty Free in MXP and fly to JFK in tamper proof bags. And then I have another connecting flight the same day that also leaves out of JFK, will it be okay?
They don't care about the ticket or PNR or anything. They care about the tamper proof bag
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by joshwex90
They don't care about the ticket or PNR or anything. They care about the tamper proof bag
Ah I see. Thank you.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:58 am

LHR-ORD-LAS, how to handle duty free at ORD?

I'm on AA87 LHR-ORD on Saturday and figured I'd purchase some wine at LHR and take it with me to LAS.

If ORD was my final destination I wouldn't be unsure but since I have to, as far as I know, get out of terminal 5 and move over to 3 and go through security again I'm wondering if I'm able to get to LAS without having to check my carryon?

On the way back (LAX-LHR) I know it works since previous trips especially since I don't have to go landside to transfer back to ARN...
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The TSA's duty free liquids rule is here. Basically just be sure they give you a receipt at Heathrow and put it into a tamper-evident bag (both of which should be slam dunks) and you should be fine.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question is related to how the TSA handles liquids rather than American Airlines or AAdvantage, I'll shift this discussion to the relevant TS/S forum. I've also altered the thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
The TSA's duty free liquids rule is here. Basically just be sure they give you a receipt at Heathrow and put it into a tamper-evident bag (both of which should be slam dunks) and you should be fine.
Thanks. I will chance it based on this thread at least
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
FWIW I had no issues with the TSA at IAD.

The biggest issue was actually getting my bottle bagged in ZRH. At IAD I simply put it in a separate tray for the X-ray, the tray was flagged (i.e. not returned directly to me), a TSA screener cut open the bag, scanned it in the scanner, placed it back in the bag, sealed it with TSA tape, and returned it to me. The bottle was clear, so no issues there.

The most likely problem is not getting a tamper-proof bag for your item since some shop staff seem to expect you to check it, but being persistent worked well enough for me.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:09 pm

bumping this. what about multiple connecting flights?
LHR-BOS-PHX-LAS overnight LAS then to ORD?
It would be checked in BOS and again in LAS. Would that be allowed?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
bumping this. what about multiple connecting flights?
LHR-BOS-PHX-LAS overnight LAS then to ORD?
It would be checked in BOS and again in LAS. Would that be allowed?
So long as you bought the items within 48 hours of your flight, it should not be a problem; but then with TSA, you never know for sure. You may wish to carry a printout of the TSA liquids rule for inbound international passengers and be prepared to check in a bag if necessary.
TSA Liquids Rule

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are travelling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
So long as you bought the items within 48 hours of your flight, it should not be a problem; but then with TSA, you never know for sure. You may wish to carry a printout of the TSA liquids rule for inbound international passengers and be prepared to check in a bag if necessary.

Let's see tomorrow in LAS. No issues in BOS but they did open and reseal the bag.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Let's see tomorrow in LAS. No issues in BOS but they did open and reseal the bag.
How do they reseal a tamper-proof bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.