Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Bringing Carry On Duty-Free Liquids with Connecting Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing Carry On Duty-Free Liquids with Connecting Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Quick follow-up: I decided to try this out at EWR yesterday. I bought a couple of things at CDG Duty Free which I couldn't easily get in the US (but which were, IMHO, overpriced), and didn't have a checked bag.

The CDG Duty Free staff put the booze into the tamper-proof bag. When I went through security at CDG, I just put that bag in a tray and was on my way (I'd bought shortly after passport control but before the US departures security).

At EWR, since I was over my personal exemption, I checked that box on the Global Entry kiosk and got sent to have the booze x-rayed (no, they didn't make me pay duty; I wasn't expecting them to, but didn't want to do anything to jeopardize Global Entry, either).

I used the C3 PreCheck checkpoint, and told the x-ray belt screener that I had a bag of duty free. She ran it through, then opened the bag, scanned each of the bottles in their liquids explosive gadget, and then sealed it back up in a new bag for me.

No problem, no hassles.

^ for once for a program that worked as intended!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
No issues today in ORD.
Bought some booze in ICN and flew to NRT-ORD-BOS-ORD.
They checked it in NRT (without damaging the bag) and in ORD the guy took it out of the bag, tested it, and resealed it with some TSA logo tape.
Took maybe 2 minutes.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
I purchased some sunscreen in AMS in august when I went to MCO. The sealed bag went through the gate security at AMS, but when I connected in DTW, the TSO told me that there is no way they can screen sunscreen due to the nature of the liquid. I found that very strange. I was given the choice between checking the sunscreen or just leaving it there. I left it there because my flight was departing shortly after.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

I know some chemicals (such as bedbug spray) create false positives for explosives. Maybe sunscreen is one of those chemicals?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:15 am

Regular lotion brings about false positives for hand swabs, so I would not be surprised if sunscreen contains similar ingredients.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NLNO
I purchased some sunscreen in AMS in august when I went to MCO. The sealed bag went through the gate security at AMS, but when I connected in DTW, the TSO told me that there is no way they can screen sunscreen due to the nature of the liquid. I found that very strange. I was given the choice between checking the sunscreen or just leaving it there. I left it there because my flight was departing shortly after.
It seems like they screen it with some sort of optical device--at least they have the times I've brought liquids through. They don't swab it or use ETD (again, IME), so something opaque like sunscreen isn't going to work with their device.

OTOH, how do they screen something like a cream liquor? I've only brought whiskys through, FWIW.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:02 pm

Traveling multiple transits with duty free

Hello,
We are flying this route:
KUL>NRT>SAN>CLt>ORD>TVC

On C class tickets, with a 12-hr layover in SAN and short transits in CLT and ORD.

And wish to buy duty free whiskey in NRT.we plan to leave SAN airport and see the city.

Will we run into carry on restrictions issues after clearing SAN, seeing that city, and reembarking on to CLT, etc? We would leave the whiskey in its orignal sealed bag.

Thank you very much.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta, United
Yes, unless it is sealed accordingly:

http://www.icao.int/security/SFP/LAG...s/default.aspx

Also remember SFO is not TSA. While TSA will accept the above I am not sure about the contractors.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:28 am

Thank you. Can you please clarify "SFO is not TSA"?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta, United
TSA does not operate the security SFO it is handled by contractors:

http://www.covenantsecurity.com/sfo/

They typically follow TSA rules but there may be slight differences - like the sealed Duty Free which was recently allowed by TSA. I would contact them directly about their acceptance. And if they do take the email exchange with you for documentation.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
No Problem at EWR

Bought a 1L bottle of rum in MAD duty-free today. The cashier asked me if EWR was my final destination. When I said no, she put it into a tamper-evident bag. Near the end of the UA flight the flight service manager / purser gave the mis-information that all liquids larger than 100ml needed to be put in checked baggage after CBP if we were connecting. At the baggage re-check there were several (old) signs with the same mis-information so I asked a UA rep if they were stale. She was adamant, and wrong, that TSA would confiscate the bottle regardless of the receipt, bag, etc. There was only $16 at risk so I decided to ignore her. At security they pulled it just like any other bag needing checking, looked at the bag and receipt, opened the bag, swabbed the bottle, and resealed the bag with TSA tape.

So, final score, TSA 100, UA 0.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by garkster
Bought a 1L bottle of rum in MAD duty-free today. The cashier asked me if EWR was my final destination. When I said no, she put it into a tamper-evident bag. Near the end of the UA flight the flight service manager / purser gave the mis-information that all liquids larger than 100ml needed to be put in checked baggage after CBP if we were connecting. At the baggage re-check there were several (old) signs with the same mis-information so I asked a UA rep if they were stale. She was adamant, and wrong, that TSA would confiscate the bottle regardless of the receipt, bag, etc. There was only $16 at risk so I decided to ignore her. At security they pulled it just like any other bag needing checking, looked at the bag and receipt, opened the bag, swabbed the bottle, and resealed the bag with TSA tape.

So, final score, TSA 100, UA 0.
Not sure about the math here but I guess congrats!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Earlier this year, at ORD, I had a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue I was bringing back as a gift and they put it in the wine chiller scanner. Was pretty painless.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

The link in OP is now dead. Anyone have a definitive link?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by greggarious
The link in OP is now dead. Anyone have a definitive link?
This is the closest TSA statement I can find to the original link I posted in the OP:

http://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-s...g/liquids-rule

Inbound International Flights
You may carry liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

You are traveling internationally to the United States with a connecting flight.
They are in transparent containers.
You bought them at a duty-free shop where it is packed in a secure, tamper-evident bag.
Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.