Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enter Canada with DUI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I doubt the Consulate is going to be able to say anything definitive n the matter. Final authority on entry rests with the officer who you encounter at the port of entry.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I doubt the Consulate is going to be able to say anything definitive n the matter. Final authority on entry rests with the officer who you encounter at the port of entry.
You're exactly right. They pointed me to an application on their site that takes 6 weeks - 4 months for processing.

Is "have you ever been convicted of a crime" a question that you hear at the Canadian border often?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by billdozer12
You're exactly right. They pointed me to an application on their site that takes 6 weeks - 4 months for processing.

Is "have you ever been convicted of a crime" a question that you hear at the Canadian border often?
I've never heard that ne. I repeatedly hear these:

Do you have any drugs?
Do you have any guns?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:58 pm

Driving into Canada 8 yr old DUI

Hello- looking for some new clarification. I earned a DUI about 8 yrs ago and I'm interested in an update regarding the changes to the strict immigration laws for those with a DUI.

I read somewhere recently that the law was going to be eased. I was hoping to enter Canada at Port Huron/Sarniaand drive the 402 across to Buffalo to trim some driving time. Is it still required to fill out temporary visitor paperwork?

I'd appreciate some suggestions/guidance

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
\
I found out that Canada even links the work permit to the passport. Violate the terms of the permit and get caught and it goes in your passport record.
The United States does the same thing. I would imagine most countries do.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:39 pm

prior DUI flying into Vacouver to board cruise ship to Alaska

I'm scheduled to fly into Vancouver BC to board an Alaskan cruise and I had a DUI over 3 years ago. I've done extensive reading on the matter and I will need to apply for TRP at the port of entry should the issue come up. I will only be in Canada for a few hours to get from the Airport to the cruise ship which only stops in Alaska and ends in Seward so will not be returning to Canada on my return. I've read a lot on this thread and on the web about this process but I cannot find anyone coming back to post their experience after attempting to enter. I would like to know if anyone can share their experience of showing up and applying for a one time TRP at the boarder. I'm prepared to bring my court documents and just fill out a form at entry. Does anyone know what form they have you fill out at the border if you do not show up with the IMM1444 form filled out? Also, I only plan to bring my court documents and passport and fill out whatever form they give me at the border. Please share your experience if you have attempted the same.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ne thing to beware of is this language from the Canadian Government's web site on such permits:
To be eligible for a temporary resident permit, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border services officer.
Does your desire to go on a cruise outweigh the risk to Canadian society? I have no idea but I'm sure the officer at the port of entry will.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:36 pm

Agree. It's a roll of the dice really. Depends on the immigrations officer.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:50 pm

DUI Arrests

So I have a question about this DUI thing for Canada. I have two DUI arrests but both have been dismissed. First one I got pulled over for having headlight burnt out. I refused a field sobriety test since those are a joke but took a breath test. Ended up having a .0682. He still sited me for DUI and towed my car and let me take a cab home. I didn't break any other traffic laws and he pulled me over just for the headlight. Well in court we had a motion to dismiss my DUI since I was under the limit. The cop never showed up to testify so the case was dismissed. The Second one I got pulled over and this time I knew I was probably over the limit by a bit. I refused a chemical test so the cop had to get a warrant from the judge. It took just over 8 hours to get my blood due to back up in the courts and it being a Friday night. Well after all that I came back as .00 since it had been so long.
Will these arrests hurt me when trying to enter Canada despite the fact I was under the limit in one and .00 in the other? Both times I got the case dismissed and an arrest doesn't always mean guilty
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:18 pm

Anybody?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:57 pm

Innocent until proven guilty, Cosmo.
They got nothing on you without a conviction.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Keep and bring with you proof that it's been dismissed. Otherwise they will rightfully be able to deny you admission.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Keep and bring with you proof that it's been dismissed. Otherwise they will rightfully be able to deny you admission.
Hello old posts,

I just wanted to add to this literature with a recent experience flying into Vancouver BC from US in Summer 2017.

I was very nervous after reading all this information online about visiting Canada with any sort of arrest record at all. I was convinced that my traveling companion would be denied entry due to driving/arrest/misdemeanor records within the past two years and had huge amounts of anxiety as our last minute trip approached. We decided to hop on our flights anyway and just see what happened at the border because we did not have time to apply for a TRP. We also flew without any proof that past fines had been paid, probation completed, etc.

Upon landing in Vancouver we approached our border agent as a pair because we were traveling together and we were asked four general questions about our visit: where were we traveling from, what was the purpose of our visit, how long was our visit going to be, and what our occupations were- all while our agent maintained thorough eye contact while clearly being on the lookout for any sort of suspicious behavior. We were welcomed politely to Vancouver and allowed on our way.

I imagine longer visits (we were there for only 4 days), high profile visits (we were attending a conference as students), and of course any sort of flags as a suspicious traveler would have led to more in depth questioning, but this was our experience.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jtrinity
I imagine longer visits (we were there for only 4 days), high profile visits (we were attending a conference as students), and of course any sort of flags as a suspicious traveler would have led to more in depth questioning, but this was our experience.
You were smart -- you answered the questions on the form and in person truthfully. Then it was up to the agent's discretion or whatever rules they have to let you in or not based on whatever he saw on his screen. I think the posters here have indicated that you may or may not be asked about it and that they may or may not care enough to stop you; it is unclear what triggers them caring or noticing. Glad it worked out for you!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:10 pm

what was the outcome of entry and exit to Canada!

Originally Posted by MrEcks
Thanks for the replies. I have no intention of lying. It sounds like getting the TRP paper work and filling it out as much as possible is the most logical option.

I don't know how much time/interest they have in listening to my particulars. I wasn't driving (being intoxicated after dark around car keys is enough). The arresting officer admitted at trial to having lied about certain 'facts'. At my mandatory 'substance abuse' evaluation the counselor said "clearly you don't have a drinking problem." The judge at sentencing said "I have a feeling I won't be seeing you again.", etc., etc. This was a one time wrong place/wrong time situation (the arresting officer was driving around looking for a burglar alarm and we surprised each other - once the process started it couldn't be stopped.)

Hopefully some more folks will chime in. If the border agent is allowed any discretion in the matter, I will present my case and take my chances. If the only people in my position who gain entry (and I know they exist) are those that lie and get lucky then it's not worth trying.
Hello there I am relieved to come across this thread! I to would like to hear some real stories, the majority of what I have come across is from Lawyers that want your money and tell horror stories to get it!

I am a prior flight attendant with 2 separate airlines, and never had the issue come up. unfortunetely i have 2 DUI'S however one is from over 17 years ago and the last one i was convicted 8 years ago. everything is complete and paid, and probation was over 2 years ago!

I have an interview with an airline in a week and a half with a flight attendant referral and recommendation letter. I disclosed the DUI in the application online, passed through phone and video interview and got invited to fly and do a final interview with a possible hire the day of. The restrictions to be followed are in regards to entry and exit through Canada. My flight attendant friend and I have been desperately searching for answering and ways to get correct info as not to flag myself for investigating. I want to have all the steps covered and all things I need to do to prepare just in case I get asked or it becomes a make of break if chosen to be an employee!! I do NOT want to pay $200 if I dont have too... HELP!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.