Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enter Canada with DUI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:14 pm

Flying to Canada with dwi

Hello folks

I hope I've found the right place for this!

I will be traveling to Canada (Toronto) in a few short weeks. Based on my research it seems that they have a tendency to deny entry from alcohol related offense. I received a dwi charge exactly 5 years ago and I was disposed this coming June five years prior.

I plan on brining my disposal with me, also I attended a non court ordered AA class. Which I received a letter of completion from, I will also be brining this as well.

I plan on being honest with them 100% as I have no reason not to. I have never left the country before either. I'm just curious to see based on past experiences what are my chances of being accepted? What are standard questions to be asked by customs? Anything else I should bring?

Thank you guys for any info, it is greatly appreciate it!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Borgata123
Hello folks

I hope I've found the right place for this!

I will be traveling to Canada (Toronto) in a few short weeks. Based on my research it seems that they have a tendency to deny entry from alcohol related offense. I received a dwi charge exactly 5 years ago and I was disposed this coming June five years prior.

I plan on brining my disposal with me, also I attended a non court ordered AA class. Which I received a letter of completion from, I will also be brining this as well.

I plan on being honest with them 100% as I have no reason not to. I have never left the country before either. I'm just curious to see based on past experiences what are my chances of being accepted? What are standard questions to be asked by customs? Anything else I should bring?

Thank you guys for any info, it is greatly appreciate it!
Canadians take alcohol related offenses very seriously and do turn around those who have been convicted of DUI/DWI/OVI. CBSA (Canadian immigration) has access to US criminal records so they can pull up your criminal record right at the border. Canada equates foreign convictions to Canadian law and DWI is a felony in Canada, so it is grounds for inadmissibility.

You might be able to get a Temporary Residence Permit, but you need to show why you need to come to Canada. The cost is C$200 and is only good to enter Canada once and to stay as long as the immigration officer deems is sufficient.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ty/permits.asp

Before heading to Canada, you should go to the closest Canadian embassy to ask if you'd be admissible to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...TOC.asp#5312E3

http://www.phillipsonlundin.com/prac...da-with-a-dui/
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:11 pm

A fellow who worked for the company long ago went into
Canada with a DWI on his record.

He was given a thorough screening, questioning and had
to strip down to his underwear... but eventually was allowed
into the country.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:07 pm

Thank you both for the information!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:12 pm

http://www.startribune.com/sports/ou...140403093.html

Any truth to this?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Borgata123
Yes, but the problem is, most people who get denied entry aren't even aware of the issue. Also, if you get denied at all, frequently it's after previous trips to Canada with no issues. It works both ways - a Canadian guy I work with was turned away at YYZ a few years ago for a drug conviction in Canada when he was a teenager - in the 1970s. He had entered the US well over 100 times since then, and it wasn't an issue until someone merged a database or something in 2012.

I used to travel with a sales guy - American - who had multiple DUIs in the US. We went to Canada at least a dozen times together, for work, and he had a lot of other trips solo. He continued with a few trips per for for another dozen years. Last year, he was denied entry at YUL because of his DUI. The last DUI was in 1992, and he gets denied in 2013. After dozens of entries into Canada.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:54 pm

Smile Got through border-no sweat

I just went through YYZ Toronto airport. I had a dui conviction 4 years ago and they did not even stop me or question me. They just asked me why I was there. I went for a work conference. less than 1 minute transaction. the canadian border patrol are very friendly and professional. dont sweat it just say a prayer and be completely honest.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:14 pm

You could go 100 more times to Canada and never get denied. Or, you could be denied on your next trip. That's the problem with the system. You never know where or when.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:53 am

Just wanted to give any one interested or may read this in the future an update.

I was successfully allowed into Canada. Walked into customs, lady scanned my passport, asked me a few questions, stamped my passport and was on my way.

Was never asked if I was arrested before. This may come up in the future obviously. I was concerned when my passport was scanned as I figured my arrest record would pop up. But either it did and she didn't care or it's just for more serious offenses.

Will be traveling back in a few weeks so will see what happens then!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:02 pm

They don't ask you if you've been arrested unless they know you have.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They don't need to ask anything, it's to determine whether you are telling the truth.

The bottom line here is that anecdotes don't help. You can be admitted 100 times and denied on your 101st or denied your first time.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:16 pm

Sorry to ressurect this but I'm planning a trip to Winnipeg for a week during the World Cup and just learned of the restrictions. Happened summer 2011, nothing else on record, no injuries/damage, no jail time.

Has anyone gone through the process of the TRP and can provide some direction here? the CiC and the consulate sites and a continual loop of confusion. The inadmissible page says a TRP may be obtained to gain legal admission. When you click the link the page provides it says visa-exempt countries may have their own form. It says otherwise submit a temporary resident visa application. USA is exempt but I can't find anything definitive on the LA/NY sites that says if there is or is not our own form. So then there is the temporary resident visa. But I thought I needed a permit, not a visa? Why do the seem interchangable, even on the same CiC page?

Once its known what forms/checklist i Actually need to follow, which office is it sent to?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
this is a lawyer's website but has some good basic info.

Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
Sorry to ressurect this but I'm planning a trip to Winnipeg for a week during the World Cup and just learned of the restrictions. Happened summer 2011, nothing else on record, no injuries/damage, no jail time.
http://www.temporaryresidentpermitcanada.com/

The document you need, IMM5708 has to be downloaded then opened with Adobe Reader.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:35 pm

Thanks, though I looked at that form and the field for current country of residence is Canada. Looks like this form is only for those already there.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
the form itself states it's to be used for an initial visa

I understand it says "Canada" but it also states it's for an initial visa as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.