Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ALERT! TSA Clerks at Pentagon Bus Terminal!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Current as of 1515 EDT. Two portly clerks and Pentagon Force Protection Cops standing around the bus terminal on the upper level. Didn't see a search table set up and didn't sneak a picture. ( I say "sneak" because the bus terminal is on Pentagon turf and the "No photography" signs are prominently displayed.)

Not even the Pentagon is safe from the TSA.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:33 am

Brings to mind the woman (Deb Davis) in Denver who refused to show her papers please because one bus stop on the way to work was on
"Federo Propahdee." (trying to imitate the speech of the
troglodytes who most often utter these words).
BTW Doesn't the Mighty Pentagon have bigger fish to fry than photographers,
or has the out of control Military Industrial/Surveillance machine become such an embarrassment/liability that the 1st Amendment is no longer in effect?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by yandosan
BTW Doesn't the Mighty Pentagon have bigger fish to fry than photographers, or has the out of control Military Industrial/Surveillance machine become such an embarrassment/liability that the 1st Amendment is no longer in effect?
It's never a good idea to be snapping tourist photos of the military anywhere. While driving recently through a disputed region of the former Soviet Union we passed a lengthy convoy of fully-kitted battle tanks. My local hosts became somewhat alarmed when I had a momentary lapse and started reaching for my camera. I took their advice, put the camera away and should have known better in the first place.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Travelling, even further.

In Kenya, I asked a security officer (ranked) if I could photograph aircraft at NBO, and he said "yes". Not long after that, a lesser ranked agent attempted to confiscate my camera. The rationale: "Our President flies and you could be taking photographs of an aircraft carrying the President; that is forbidden!" I had remembered the name of the ranking agent and asked this person to contact him so we could have a conversation; he eventually relented.

But in Kenya it is forbidden to photograph, among other things, police and military officers, police and military facilities (which turns out to include bridges, some "gabamant prapati" buildings, etc.), the national flag, etc. ad nauseam. Great idea - concentrate on those with cameras.

(Aside and off topic, I do like the fact they called the old British monarch, and will call the new Prince, "Kinki Joji" if he becomes monarch. And I am glad we don't have to say "the Ngwazi, President for Life, Doctor Hastings Kamuzu Banda" when we are visiting Malaŵi any more - I always took the shortcut of dispensing with the "Lion of Malaŵi" bit, thinking it a bit too much. )

I am guessing the TSA HATES it people can legitimately use their cell phones / mobiles to photo / video patdowns etc. Personally, I like checks and balances...

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's never a good idea to be snapping tourist photos of the military anywhere. While driving recently through a disputed region of the former Soviet Union we passed a lengthy convoy of fully-kitted battle tanks. My local hosts became somewhat alarmed when I had a momentary lapse and started reaching for my camera. I took their advice, put the camera away and should have known better in the first place.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:18 pm

You do realize, don't you, that Pentagon is the closest express bus station to TSA HQ? (The buillding is just across 395, between Fern and Hayes.)
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnderBooks
You do realize, don't you, that Pentagon is the closest express bus station to TSA HQ? (The buillding is just across 395, between Fern and Hayes.)
Of course. I walk past TSA HQ frequently. They are all HQ pukes ans have never seen a clerk in uniform at or near TSA HQ.

This clerk was in uniform standing next to a second clerk in uniform at the walkway between the Pentagon and the upper level of bus stops. They weren't anywhere near one of the bus stops.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's never a good idea to be snapping tourist photos of the military anywhere.
Contrary to other countries, US military bases are suprisingly open. Having a son in the military, I attended many bases, many events. I took thousands of pictures - legally.
There are public (sports) events held on bases, museums, exhibitions, open for anybody, not only for ppl with military affiliation. You do not even have to show any id to get there. "I am going to ...event" "Do you know your way? Just follow the signs."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.