Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What happens after you're in a plane crash like OZ 214?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens after you're in a plane crash like OZ 214?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by chollie
I'm actually less fussed about the passport or the phone (which I never carry overseas anyway).

But I guess I'll make sure I have cash and credit cards on my person henceforth (sigh). And perhaps a copy of my passport (less uncomfortable bulk).

I've heard differing stories about consulate assistance (for US citizens), depending where one is and what the circumstances are. I'm more concerned about this happening abroad, where there might only be one consulate in the country, particularly if I'm on an internal domestic flight.

The pax on this flight, for example: I think many were Chinese or Korean. There are likely not consulates in every international hub - and certainly not for folks from, say, Myanmar or Laos.

I know, folks always get through it somehow, it's just thinking about how overwhelming it can be - not just the crash, but then trying to sort yourself out when you hardly have all your wits about you and are perhaps struggling with other obstacles (language, strange country, etc).
There aren't consulates at every arriving city. There are however very few plane crashes, so the consulate in LA or the embassy in D.C. can afford to send a representative to help.
Originally Posted by benblaney
I was asking generally, not specifically about an incident on US soil. Imagine a Brazilian on a plane crash-landing in Germany, or an Australian crash-landing in Japan, or...
The airline has details on all the passengers. The German and Japanese authorities already have all the details of incoming passengers.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
I would expect the local consulate would help its distressed citizens.
Yes, but what's the process by which a given person proves to their consulate that they are in fact of that citizenship?

Very mechanically, what happens, day by day? What happens in the first hour, first day? Where do you go, how does information flow, who has responsibility for the temporarily dispossessed?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yes, but what's the process by which a given person proves to their consulate that they are in fact of that citizenship?

Very mechanically, what happens, day by day? What happens in the first hour, first day? Where do you go, how does information flow, who has responsibility for the temporarily dispossessed?
Yes, exactly.

When I think about it, particularly if I am overseas (and many of these pax are 'overseas'), no phone, no money - what happens hour by hour? Where do I start? I get off the runway, shuttled into a room, maybe I'm 'cleared' - and then what? I may be (probably am) hungry, thirsty, tired - and I have no money, no phone, may not speak the local language, may be in a city where my country does not have a consulate, so there's no one local to call even if I could call. No money for transportation to lodging, even if pre-booked - and no money (or passport) to check in and pay at such lodging anyway.

Or I'm taken to a hospital, wake up, released - and? Again, I have no money, no phone, may or may not be a consulate or embassy in town, I'm hungry, thirsty, tired, don't speak the language, and probably emotionally shattered: where do I begin?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For years, AmEx heavily advertised their emergency services for cardholders.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Sky Miles - Platinum
I've wondered the same thing

... which is why on every flight, I always keep my passport on my person. Domestically, my driver's license is always in my wallet, as are my credit cards and cash. And my phone. I use it globally. But yeah, if someone has an answer as to what actual procedures are in such cases, that would be really informative.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:41 pm

Like several others I was wondering how they would handle the customs situation. After watching the immediate aftermath on TV yesterday and reading things here and elsewhere I've come to two definite conclusions.

1. If you have an exit row seat instead of giving it a cursory glance take a minute to read the card with the information on how to operate the exit. I know I will on my flight next week.

2. Always carry an ID on you. On the plane I keep my wallet with my ID, CCs, and some cash in my front pants pocket. I don't have a passport or passport card but if I did I'd probably use one of those neck pouches or at least keep the passport card in my wallet. I know the card doesn't come with the passport unless you pay extra and they're not good for air travel but I think if you're in a situation like what happened at SFO it would help a lot to have it if your book was destroyed in the crash.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Again, I have no money, no phone, may or may not be a consulate or embassy in town, I'm hungry, thirsty, tired, don't speak the language, and probably emotionally shattered: where do I begin?
If you survive a crash begin by thanking your lucky stars or deity of choice that you are alive. Dead is forever. The rest is just paperwork.

Don't be one of the people who travel unprepared and unequipped for the unexpected. You can begin by starting to prepare now. Here's what I do:

When travelling outside Canada my passport is always on my person not left in my hotel room safe or stashed in the luggage bin. If I lose it I can get a replacement but when I need it I generally really need it. I've got copies in my luggage and a printable PDF copy on my email server.

I land in a country with $500-$1,000 cash either in local or easily convertible currency plus enough room on my credit cards that I can cover medical expenses, book a walk-on, first-class flight home or the entire middle row in Y class if I have to come home on a stretcher as happened to a co-worker years ago.

Nothing as dramatic as a plane crash on final has ever happened to me but on more than one occasion immediate access to my passport and the cash helped quickly resolve what might have been a more serious situation.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jul 7, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This is one of the reasons I have considered getting a Scottvest. In any emergency, it would be a grab and wear item, preloaded with all of those essentials. The people that I have talked to that have one swear by them. It could worn on the plane or at your feet ready to grab.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:55 pm

While obviously not an exact comparison, my experience after the Crown Princess ship tilt, for the customs process, I found that it at most it seemed to be a cursory experience when we got off the ship after the cruise ended early. We walked off the ship and there was a very disinterested person collecting the blue forms (and quite frankly, you could have walked off without turning one in, they weren't really paying attention). There were no immigration checks at all that I saw (but then, it was a US port, and we were US citizens, so I'm not sure how non-US nationals were handled, wasn't exactly a high priority for me to pay attention to that).

Obviously, there's a number of differences between the situations. There was obviously no problems with damaged paperwork for people. And it was a round-trip US itinerary, although obviously ended in a different city than originally planned. But it means everyone that was on the ship had already been cleared into the US at some point before taking the trip. (I think we might have had a somewhat cursory immigration check that morning when we left the ship too, but my memory is a bit vague. It definitely wasn't anything much more than a quick glance at the passport.)

So like I said, obviously different situations, but a small datapoint.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:59 pm

All of this assumes you will have access - either you have a device with you (I carry no electronics overseas, it would have been in the overhead if I were traveling domestically and sitting in my favorite bulkhead seat) or someone is going to provide free access to such a device.

That's aside from the fact that having all your info accessible online somewhere isn't the same thing as having cash in hand to get to an embassy or passport office and pay for replacement passport (or even lodging or food at the airport after you finally get there).

I can't even begin to imagine going through something like this, possibly being sent to a hospital, and then realizing: now what? I have no phone, no $, don't know anyone local, nothing, don't know where to go to get help. Wow.
I think you're imaging things that are worse than reality. Is there an airport accepting commercial flights that doesn't have Internet access? Do you seriously believe the airport would not do as much as possible to assist pax after a crash, up to and including letting them use a computer and a printer? Or that first responders would demand ID and insurance before triaging and treating patients?

The odds of the airline picking up your immediate costs of food, lodging and access to your home country's embassy are also pretty good, and somehow I doubt the embassy would charge you for the replacement passport after an air crash. That just wouldn't be good policy (or good PR).
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Savvy travelers wear their most important documents and cards on their person when traveling. I have several very small purses and pouches to choose from. I wear passport, IDs, credit cards, cash, iPod & earbuds, and itinerary cross-body. I also own several Scottevest items (vests, jacket) to hold even more. It's important to do this for safety in case of an emergency and to keep someone from stealing things from my tote (under the seat in front of me or in the overhead).
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

The same process by which someone who loses their passport overseas then proceeds to prove to their consulate that they are who they say they are. This is going to vary by country. E.g.,

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Bro...tOrStolen.aspx

says Australians have to go through an entire passport application process.

Such a process is going to require proof of citizenship (e.g. birth certificate) which presumably is safely in ones home.

Your profile lists your base airport as COS. As you know, many people lost identity documents in our area due to wildfires destroying homes. There are processes for replacing these documents.

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Savvy travelers wear their most important documents and cards on their person when traveling. I have several very small purses and pouches to choose from. I wear passport, IDs, credit cards, cash, iPod & earbuds, and itinerary cross-body. I also own several Scottevest items (vests, jacket) to hold even more. It's important to do this for safety in case of an emergency and to keep someone from stealing things from my tote (under the seat in front of me or in the overhead).
Quite. Lose the purse before you get on the plane lest to lose it before you get off the plane.

Last edited by mre5765; Jul 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:04 pm

I'm an ignorant 20 year old (not afraid to admit it :P ) and I need someone to explain to me what is wrong about grabbing your things? I'm asking in the context of like having your duffel under the seat in front of you, and neither seat is damaged. I can understand abandoning your personal items if you're blocking an aisle or exit to do so...

I just feel like if I were in that scenario, and I was physically able to do so, I would absolutely grab my carryon containing my laptop, phone, chargers, credit cards, passport, etc; essentially my life when I'm traveling...
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
I just feel like if I were in that scenario, and I was physically able to do so, I would absolutely grab my carryon containing my laptop, phone, chargers, credit cards, passport, etc; essentially my life when I'm traveling...
Simply put: Life Safety >> Anything Else. If it is not on your person, it's not worth your or anybody else's life to deal with it. You can think "it'll just take a few seconds", but with the risk of fire, if you can't grab it on the run it's too risky.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
With all respect if I am behind you in an emergency and you are diddling around trying to grab your stuff you will and I mean WILL be moving whether you have your laptop or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.