Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is it allowed to carry big size toothpaste on plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it allowed to carry big size toothpaste on plane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:10 am

I don't think that there is any American airports/posters or TSA involved.

OP seems to be flying from Israel to India via Germany and therefore should have no issues with a 'full size' toothpaste.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by exbayern
Or in virtually every single drugstore (and grocery store) selling toothpaste in much of the rest of the world, marked as 75ml or now 100ml for some types/brands.
I ain't flying outside the USA to buy some damn toothpaste.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
I ain't flying outside the USA to buy some damn toothpaste.

OP isn't flying TO the US either, apparently.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Buy whatever small tube is the least expensive at the local drug store, dollar store, etc. If you hate the brand, empty the tube, and refill it from you regular tube. It's easy, much cheaper, and you have whatever brand and type you like. If you want to go nuts and build your own filling device (which you could also buy) see this page

http://lifehacker.com/5857052/easily...-help-of-sugru
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:27 am

Or for the rest of us for whom TSA and US packaging idiosyncrasies don't apply, just take our regular full size toothpaste and don't worry about it.

No need to confuse people who aren't flying to the US, or aren't from the US, by bringing in things generally unique to the US.

Flying from Israel to Germany to India, with non-American toothpaste, it generally isn't an issue. As most of us have told the OP, yes, he can take his full size toothpaste if he so wishes, as it will be 100ml or less.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83

Personally, I can't be bothered...my freedom baggie isn't that difficult to remove for security.
Before Pre-Check, which doesn't require removal, I can't recall being asked to remove my bag more than once, in an outstation in Montana. Everywhere else I've sent it through with the rest of my stuff.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Lack
As long as its 100ml or under you should be fine.
In the war against water, gels are also victims.
Define your remark about the war against water.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by eyecue
Define your remark about the war against water.
Like the water in the sauce in a small (but >3.4 ounces) container of baked beans. It's potentially dangerous contraband and has to travel in a checked bag.

But Britney Spears' ice chips are solid water, so they don't have to be in a 3-1-1 baggie and they can go through the checkpoint in any quantity. At LAX, anyway.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Before Pre-Check, which doesn't require removal, I can't recall being asked to remove my bag more than once, in an outstation in Montana. Everywhere else I've sent it through with the rest of my stuff.
How much of your travels are outside of the US? Optional baggie removal is more of a TSA-led exercise, and apparently not even that consistent at US airports. Forgetting to remove your bag, or having LGA outside of your bag, may result in a bag search at airports outside the US.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by chollie
Like the water in the sauce in a small (but >3.4 ounces) container of baked beans. It's potentially dangerous contraband and has to travel in a checked bag.

But Britney Spears' ice chips are solid water, so they don't have to be in a 3-1-1 baggie and they can go through the checkpoint in any quantity. At LAX, anyway.
Frozen toothpaste: the wave of the future!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
How much of your travels are outside of the US? Optional baggie removal is more of a TSA-led exercise, and apparently not even that consistent at US airports. Forgetting to remove your bag, or having LGA outside of your bag, may result in a bag search at airports outside the US.
The great majority of my checks are outside the US, but even in China, where they check at the gate for US bound flights, they've never pulled out my toiletries.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
The great majority of my checks are outside the US, but even in China, where they check at the gate for US bound flights, they've never pulled out my toiletries.
I connect in FRA a lot, (from one non-Schengen airport to another; why is there security screening), and half the time, due to fatigue. I neglect to remove my baggy. They don't care.

BLR doesn't care either.

They do care in CDG though.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
In the last, say, two years, I haven't removed my baggie once at any US airport, and have only had it called out by the xray guy once. So, ~1% rate. I do always take out my baggie at LHR, however, given the stories about people who leave their baggies in being sent through a complete luggage search. Also, since I'm a guest in the UK, I feel more of a responsibility to comply with their rules (within reason).
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Reality is that the 3-1-1 Quart bag rules is a game, especially lately - going thru certain US airports at peak time, it's a matter of going thru the motion. Laid them out neatly on top of shoes, laptops & jackets - zipped straight thru to the other side of the conveyer belt.

I've seen 4 oz. items going thru as part of a stuffed ziplock bag, no questions asked or visual exam; and, for something like toothpaste, it's pretty normal in size.

AquaFresh has 100 ml (3.38 oz) for sale at places like Walgreen or CVS here in the US, might have to check local stores for availabilities. Unit pricing for those tiny travel sizes are truely ripoffs.

The tiny single-use Colgate toothpaste are cute, I collect/save them at hotels that offer it and travel with them - heck with being green or reducing carbon footprint, it's the war theater on terror. Think of the tens of thousands of bottles dumped into giant 55 gallon drums everyday at airports, wasted.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Toothpaste in the U.S. is sold by weight, not volume. Unfortunately, the name of the standard weight unit (the ounce) is the same as the name of the volume unit that TSA agents use as a size criterion. Since toothpaste is rather dense, a 4.8 ounce (by weight) tube of toothpaste contains less than the allowable 3.4 ounces (by volume). Does anyone have any experience with TSA agents in this regard? Do they know this, and let that size tube through? Do they see "4.8 oz." on the label and say "No way?" Can they be convinced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.