Traveling with an engagement ring

Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Do you even go through customs in Europe? I can't recall ever getting the customs grilling in Europe. Most recently I flew into Frankfurt, then on to Prague. In Frankfurt they just looked at my passport. In Prague I never spoke to anyone... in fact I remember getting on the bus and thinking "odd... no customs".

Going in should be fine, I'd be more worried about CBP on return.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by greggarious
Do you even go through customs in Europe? I can't recall ever getting the customs grilling in Europe. Most recently I flew into Frankfurt, then on to Prague. In Frankfurt they just looked at my passport. In Prague I never spoke to anyone... in fact I remember getting on the bus and thinking "odd... no customs".

Going in should be fine, I'd be more worried about CBP on return.
Funny you should mention that as we just flew into Greece a couple of months ago and the customs inspection area was empty, six or more stations and absolutely no agents. This was a non-stop flight from PHL so it wasn't like we'd gone through another EU country on the way to Athens. Actually the same thing in Barcelona two years earlier but at least that time we'd gone through the ringer in Heathrow though not specifically any real customs check. Even US customs is pretty much a "fill-out-card, throw-it-in-the-box" drill or at least was on our last two entries through DFW and CLT.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Funny you should mention that as we just flew into Greece a couple of months ago and the customs inspection area was empty, six or more stations and absolutely no agents. This was a non-stop flight from PHL so it wasn't like we'd gone through another EU country on the way to Athens. Actually the same thing in Barcelona two years earlier but at least that time we'd gone through the ringer in Heathrow though not specifically any real customs check. Even US customs is pretty much a "fill-out-card, throw-it-in-the-box" drill or at least was on our last two entries through DFW and CLT.
I guess it's also just harder to smuggle much of note on a plane.

The border guards between the US and Canada seem a bit more on their game since you could get through a pretty decent amount of untaxed liquor/smokes in even a small car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.