Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

US CBP Automated Passport Control

RICHMOND (NEWS1130) – Clearing customs will soon take much less of your time.

YVR has announced a new partnership with US Customs and Border Protection.

You’ll soon be able to clear customs going into the US by using an automated kiosks; you’ll just have to swipe your passport and answer a few questions.

“I think it takes the data processing away from the officers so they can do a better job with security,” says one American traveller.

Canadians have been using technology to get back into the country since 2009. We’ll have to wait a few more weeks before we can use it heading southbound, but Americans can use it as of today.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of gauche not to include a link.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: Free Agent
lacking the link will ask: does this include non humans in the the connections area? biggest PITA in years is trying to connect through YVR to US. faster to leave then come back in through security than try to navigate the single file US clearance when I was through in March.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by Ari
Kind of gauche not to include a link.
http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...02-912691.html
Gives no details, though
Old May 7, 2013, 1:53 pm

Here....there's not a link yet from the CDA's website...but this is the PR issued today.

Chicago Department of Aviation

O'Hare to be First Airport in the U.S. to Implement New Technology for Expedited Customs Clearance

CHICAGO, May 7, 2013 - Today, the Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) announced that Chicago O'Hare will be the first airport in the United States to implement Automated Passport Control (APC), an innovative program developed by Vancouver Airport Authority and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to help travelers move more quickly through the U.S. border clearance process by entering information at a self-service kiosk. Vancouver Airport Authority revealed the new kiosks and technology earlier today at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in a joint launch of the APC program with CBP.

"This technology will help expedite customs processing for passengers arriving to O'Hare, further strengthening Chicago as a global destination," said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. "Being the first airport in the U.S. to implement these advances demonstrates how serious we are about making Chicago the first, best and most welcoming city in the country."

APC is an innovative program developed by Vancouver Airport Authority and CBP to help travelers move more quickly through the U.S. border clearance process by entering information at a self-service kiosk.

Instead of filling out a declaration card, passengers who are eligible and choose to use APC can proceed directly to a self-service kiosk in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection area. Travelers will be prompted to answer a series of questions at the touch screen self-service kiosk. Once passengers have completed the series of questions, a receipt will be issued. Travelers then bring their passport, travel information and receipt to a CBP officer for verification. APC does not require pre-registration, is easy to use and maintains the highest levels of protection when it comes to the handling of personal data or information.

As a result, travelers will experience shorter wait times, less congestion, and faster processing but will also be assured that the safety and security of passengers, employees and visitors remains a top priority.

"We are very excited to provide the Automated Passport Control system for international travelers arriving to Chicago," said CDA Commissioner Rosemarie S. Andolino. "I want to express our appreciation to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Vancouver Airport Authority, as well as our airline partners for their assistance and cooperation in bringing this new technology and better customer experience to O'Hare. We are fully committed to making Chicago O'Hare 'best in class' by continuing to invest in our facilities and adding award-winning concessions and new services that elevate the overall passenger experience."

The APC process is demonstrated for media at YVR this morning. Jaqui Key, Managing Director for United Airlines at Chicago O'Hare (pictured above), was the first person to go through the APC system.

The CDA is planning on installing 32 kiosks at Chicago O'Hare by July 1, 2013, in time for the busy summer travel season. The program seemed a logical fit for O'Hare to address some issues with customs processing. The APC increases the productivity of the CBP officers and resources by transferring data collection duties to passengers in line.

"Vancouver Airport Authority is thrilled to have signed a Letter of Intent with Chicago Department of Aviation to provide software technology and self-service kiosks to Chicago O'Hare," said Larry Berg, President and CEO, Vancouver Airport Authority. "Vancouver Airport Authority prides itself on developing innovative ways to simplify the passenger experience. We are proud that we were the first airport to launch Automated Passport Control and now we are able to help Chicago become the first airport in the United States to implement Automated Passport Control."

By continuing to streamline the CBP process and provide a high quality visitor experience for the millions of international passengers and returning U.S. citizens who travel through O'Hare, the CDA is focusing on having the necessary resources in place to keep pace with the expected growth in international travel in the years to come. Doing so will allow Chicago to remain a leader in the global marketplace.

* My additional comment, YVR gets it first, then it will be expanded over to YYZ in Canada.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:28 pm

Are these the same machines as Global Entry? The (huge) benefit of Global Entry just went away if it is, as there's now going to be huge lines at the machines.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Spoddy
Are these the same machines as Global Entry? The (huge) benefit of Global Entry just went away if it is, as there's now going to be huge lines at the machines.
No, these are different from GE.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Spoddy
And entering into YVR there are seperate machines for Nexus cardholders and for automated passport control. They've been in place for a few years already. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...-machines.html
Old May 7, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The machines in place for some years are for Canadian citizens and residents to enter into Canada.

It would make sense to install something like that for US citizens and residents to enter into the US. I presume that's what it is.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I'm somewhat surprised, given DHS/CBP paranoia, that there isn't some kind of integrated fare-gate-type system that prevents a traveler from continuing on into (presumably) the baggage hall without the machine's OK, along the lines of Australia's "SmartGate".
Old May 7, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Critic
I'm somewhat surprised, given DHS/CBP paranoia, that there isn't some kind of integrated fare-gate-type system that prevents a traveler from continuing on into (presumably) the baggage hall without the machine's OK, along the lines of Australia's "SmartGate".
The configuration of the machines requires their users to walk past manned desks, and the CBP officers will not hesitate to yell at people who fail to stop for document verification.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Self-service kiosks are everywhere these days — at subway stations, the grocery store, even your doctor's office. But up until now, U.S. Customs and Border Protection has only offered automated services for a select group of pre-enrolled passengers.

That's all about to change. As early as this spring, CBP will roll out a kiosk that everyone can use. Called automated passport control, the kiosks will process the general customs and declaration information that all travelers must complete. Right now, travelers must fill out a paper form before their flight lands, which is then processed by a CBP officer.
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=31&sid=3218839

Passengers will still have to speak to a CBP employee and this will probably come with more intensive questioning for some as it frees up resources to do so.

Originally Posted by Critic
This will still involve going by CBP employees. Also, this frees up CBP to more intensively hassle some as it frees up resources to intensify the focus on some more than before. At least that is how it was sold.

Given how slow people are at the airline kiosks, I am not sure that this APC thing will really speed up things as much as I would hope it to do.

Last edited by TWA884; May 26, 2019 at 10:07 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This will still involve going by CBP employees. Also, this frees up CBP to more intensively hassle some as it frees up resources to intensify the focus on some more than before. At least that is how it was sold.

Given how slow people are at the airline kiosks, I am not sure that this APC thing will really speed up things as much as I would hope it to do.
I really find it hard to believe that it will make much difference in overall processing time when there are huge mobs of people arriving at the same time. How many kiosks will it take? There would have to be a very large number of them. Some people are so slow at airline kiosks that I really wonder about it.

I suppose if this is working in YVR and actually speeds up the process, it must be worthwhile.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLFan2
I really find it hard to believe that it will make much difference in overall processing time when there are huge mobs of people arriving at the same time. How many kiosks will it take? There would have to be a very large number of them. Some people are so slow at airline kiosks that I really wonder about it.

I suppose if this is working in YVR and actually speeds up the process, it must be worthwhile.
It certainly can't hurt.

This Chicago Tribune article doesn't say anything new.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4462144.story

The interesting thing I saw in the press release above is that it refers to "passengers who are eligible..." I am wondering what the eligibility requirements are, and how it differs from the Global Entry kiosks in practice (besides shorter lines, basically).
Old May 8, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It certainly can't hurt.

This Chicago Tribune article doesn't say anything new.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4462144.story

The interesting thing I saw in the press release above is that it refers to "passengers who are eligible..." I am wondering what the eligibility requirements are, and how it differs from the Global Entry kiosks in practice (besides shorter lines, basically).
Probably means U.S. Citizens just as the ones in YVR have Canadian Citizenship as an eligibility requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.