Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:19 pm

That's not quite accurate - in addition to the passport control guy who apparently is performing a customs function, after passport control there are roving customs inspectors, as well as a final chance to be secondaried by the guy at the apparent exit to whom you hand your form.

Originally Posted by gglave
At the US (& Canadian) border, immigration and customs are performed by one person.

The 'questions' are customs-related to detect nervousness which might indicate you are smuggling, be it food, birds, drugs, cuban cigars or a bottle of rum.

Kind of a silly system, but there you go.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:55 pm

The Opposite Extreme

In Europe the apparent inability of immigration officials to ask question of EU citizens can have strange results.

A while back I was entering the UK with my then 10 year-old son - he was travelling on a US passport, I was on an EU passport. The immigration officer therefore only asked me questions about my son - "where will he be staying", "what is the purpose of his visit", "how long will he be staying"?

A very refreshing change from the US.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
(having said/ranted all of that, I am not sure what Canada and Australia do re questioning and immigration/customs for returning citizens.)
Can't speak for Australians, but for Canadians it's a similar experience. Although anecdotally I get the sense that it's a friendlier one...
Australia for returning citizens:
- Immigration: minimal questioning. SmartGate eliminates any face-to-face contact and you might need to answer one (random?) question at the kiosk. Otherwise, there might be a question regarding customs/quarantine ("I see you ticked 'yes' for food; what kind of food do you have?" "Chocolate." "Okay, have a nice day.")

- Customs: As above (for citizens and visitors). Not quite as simple as the Europe self-select red/green channels; a customs/quarantine officer directs you either to a line for bags x-ray or inspection or to the exit. Inspections are generally quick and painless.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:15 pm

That's not quite accurate - in addition to the passport control guy who apparently is performing a customs function, after passport control there are roving customs inspectors, as well as a final chance to be secondaried by the guy at the apparent exit to whom you hand your form.
Doesn't the immigration inspector decide if you go to secondary at the customs exit? In Canada, s/he puts a number on the form. Depending on the number, the agent at the exit knows to either let you go or send you to secondary.

--

This CBP APC is for US citizens only, right?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Doesn't the immigration inspector decide if you go to secondary at the customs exit? In Canada, s/he puts a number on the form. Depending on the number, the agent at the exit knows to either let you go or send you to secondary.

--

This CBP APC is for US citizens only, right?
At YVR last month on my visits, only US citizens were being directed to these kiosks.

The passport control check desk type of personnel can decide on secondary as can the people at baggage claim or the exit control just beyond baggage claim.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Does the APC receipt look the same as a Global Entry receipt? And can APC users use the GE exit lanes at customs?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:47 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
GE uses facial recognition and fingerprints along with passport machine readable code at bottom of the photo page. Tough to counterfeit the CPB DB info. Ticked prints a photo on it - this wasn't always that way, when the program first started no photo was printed. That was probably added to prevent a valid passport holder from giving that ticket to someone and then standing in line allowing someone to illegally enter. At LAX ere are 2 CBP officers watching the 3 kiosks and one checking the photo before continuing, but no one at YVR.

Chip not needed. NEXUS machines (Canada) use an isiris scan only - no passport or other cards/ID required to enter Canada.

Leaving Canada at YVR was another issue - I found there is a difference in kiosks.

Last edited by puddinhead; Aug 6, 2013 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:54 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Does the APC receipt look the same as a Global Entry receipt? And can APC users use the GE exit lanes at customs?

Probably not, GE kiosks require fingerprints and facial recognition in addition to passport.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Fake biometric passports??
Biometrics are NOT stored in the passport, they are stored in the CBP database. US uses fingerprints AND facial recognition, entered during the GE interview. Canada uses iris scan and doesn't even require a passport to enter Canada (NEXUS), the eyes tell all.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by puddinhead
GE uses facial recognition and fingerprints
I question whether or not there is facial recognition. I'm tall, and a couple of times the GE machine has taken a picture of my chin, neck and shoulders. No problems, other than a chuckle from the CBP officer.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:36 am

In Europe the apparent inability of immigration officials to ask question of EU citizens can have strange results.

A while back I was entering the UK with my then 10 year-old son - he was travelling on a US passport, I was on an EU passport. The immigration officer therefore only asked me questions about my son - "where will he be staying", "what is the purpose of his visit", "how long will he be staying"?

A very refreshing change from the US.
In FRA just before our flight from the US, a flight from Russia had come in and I was in line behind a lot of Russians. The guy at the passport control was surprised I didn't have any visas in my passport and asked me where I was returning from. He very quickly corrected himself, apologies and told be he had just asked out of personal curiosity and I did not have to answer the question.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I question whether or not there is facial recognition. I'm tall, and a couple of times the GE machine has taken a picture of my chin, neck and shoulders. No problems, other than a chuckle from the CBP officer.
+1

The first time I entered the US (after they started with the photos), about 80% of my face wasn't even in the frame. When I asked a CBP officer about it, all he did was laugh.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
1. They are different but they both use X sometimes and have some of the same sort of info. The APC receipt has a photo of pax printed on it that is taken by the kiosk.

2. Perhaps it varies.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:09 pm

Very interesting... Something new to try on my next trip,through the GE kiosk.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:51 am

AT ORD they are similiar and one of the changes is it make the "X" larger on the APC receipt at the request of CBP. There's been some confusion by CBP officers at times.

I asked this yesterday and no, APC users still have to use the normal exit lines. GE can walk to the front of the lines once they've claimed their bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.