Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Here is the announcement of the implementation at ORD (from the Chicago forum)

ORD Terminal 5 - Post 92
Old May 8, 2013, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It certainly can't hurt.

This Chicago Tribune article doesn't say anything new.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4462144.story

The interesting thing I saw in the press release above is that it refers to "passengers who are eligible..." I am wondering what the eligibility requirements are, and how it differs from the Global Entry kiosks in practice (besides shorter lines, basically).
At YVR for Canadian citizens it certainly does sometimes hurt.

About eligibility in or for the US, it should cover most adults with a currently valid passport from at least the US where the passport can be read by the machines and transmits certain passport info for its bearer.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
So why have Global Entry?
Old May 8, 2013, 2:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
So why have Global Entry?
So you don't have to talk to an officer and don't have to wait in line.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Sounds good to me then.

-Another Ari.

Originally Posted by Ari
Old May 8, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
and don't need to fill out a paper form
Old May 8, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DBCme
I think you still have to filled the customs form. When you exiting from Customs Hall. If you have any declared goods. You can't bring meats, fruits, vegetable, wild animals and etc.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
I think you still have to filled the customs form. When you exiting from Customs Hall. If you have any declared goods. You can't bring meats, fruits, vegetable, wild animals and etc.
You don't have to fill out the customs declaration form for Global Entry. You answer the questions on what you've brought back at the kiosk, and it prints the necessary info on the little receipt the kiosk prints out. Depending on how you answer, you may have to speak to an officer, of course.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Given that some countries have kiosks e.g Smart Gate in Australia which all Australian nationals with chips passports can use why not have the same for all US nationals.

Having a human look at a computer screen and someones face can't really offer more security than a kiosks with a biometric gate, plus a few eyes out for those looking out of place.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:59 pm

Because that doesn't instill fear into the hearts of Americans to justify defense spending.

Originally Posted by wackyflyer
Given that some countries have kiosks e.g
Smart Gate in Australia which all Australian nationals with chips passports can use why not have the same for all US nationals.

Having a human look at a computer screen and someones face can't really offer more security than a kiosks with a biometric gate, plus a few eyes out for those looking out of place.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DBCme
That is what is driving this change at least in substantial part.

"It's really going to save us millions of dollars a year in data-entry costs, and really in officer efficiency and processing times," he said.
Originally Posted by exerda
You don't have to fill out the customs declaration form for Global Entry. You answer the questions on what you've brought back at the kiosk, and it prints the necessary info on the little receipt the kiosk prints out. Depending on how you answer, you may have to speak to an officer, of course.
Sometimes CBP in-person questions happen regardless of the answers to the GE kiosk questions.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:48 am

Of course, the press in the US will never mention that in most (actually, as far as I know all) of the other countries that have implemented the automated border kiosks they DO NOT require the passenger to speak to an agent after clearing the automated machine. As with everything else, no one cares how things are done in other parts of the civilized world.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=31&sid=3218839

Passengers will still have to speak to a CBP employee and this will probably come with more intensive questioning for some as it frees up resources to do so.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=31&sid=3218839

Passengers will still have to speak to a CBP employee and this will probably come with more intensive questioning for some as it frees up resources to do so.
At least here in ORD, it's my understanding you'll have 2 officer's working the kiosks (16 on one side, 14 on the other). There's no formal questioning from what I was told, other than for the officer to verify the passport and receipt match up. (sure something might raise a red flag, but the issue here is to move U.S citizens quickly)

There's been little resistance from the Unions, if any. Less stress, actual help to address the insane processing times throughout the U.S and the fact CBP in Washington wants this to be successful.

Eventually this will be expanded to Vistors that enter the U.S.

FYI, these machines aren't cheap, but worth the cost when you start looking at misconnect cost for the airlines.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
This should prove interesting. Seems they're taking the Australian approach to implementation rather than the NZ approach, which I think is good - the more regimented and process-structured it is the faster it will be accepted/understood by the general American public. I just hope they have the NZ machines though; it may just be my luck, but the Australian machines almost always (well over 75% of the time) failing when I use them, whereas I've only had 2-3 problems with the NZ machines.

Makes Global Entry a harder choice to justify.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:23 am

Almost the European approach, but not quite (there is no receipt and nothing to verify.)

Actually, come to think of it, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The machine has compared you to the photo on your passport, and gives you a green light for the match - a red light if there is a problem. If you get the green light, what is there for the inspector to compare? The machine has already matched you biometrically to your passport, what additional layer of security does looking at the receipt without questioning provide?

Originally Posted by ords
At least here in ORD, it's my understanding you'll have 2 officer's working the kiosks (16 on one side, 14 on the other). There's no formal questioning from what I was told, other than for the officer to verify the passport and receipt match up. (sure something might raise a red flag, but the issue here is to move U.S citizens quickly)

There's been little resistance from the Unions, if any. Less stress, actual help to address the insane processing times throughout the U.S and the fact CBP in Washington wants this to be successful.

Eventually this will be expanded to Vistors that enter the U.S.

FYI, these machines aren't cheap, but worth the cost when you start looking at misconnect cost for the airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.